Pod Your Reef

Up & running!!!!! (Long)

Ike

So my ongoing 15g nano project is finally running.

I've been organizing, researching, debating & constructing since November.

Anyway, here's the setup so far:

15g All-glass with drilled overflow

10g Sump split into 3 chambers (I'm going to try to create a small refugium in the sump.)

2x55 watts PC, 10,000k & actinic in a home-made hood vented with a 3" Radio-Shack fan to keep things cool.

IndiGlow Night-light for a little moon-light effect.

Jalli 100watt Titanium heater (in sump)

Titanium grounding probe (in sump)

Mag 2 return pump

Mini jet power heads

Prizm skimmer (which is pretty quiet for a venturi skimmer & has already pulled out a ton of crap in it's first day of operation.)

Using Tropic Marin salt

@ 15lbs of oolite sand

@ 14lbs Fiji live rock

@ 12lbs Tonga live rock

Now I've come to realize that this is a LOT of rock for a 15 gallon tank, but as I was picking out my pieces I saw theSWEETEST piece of Tongs rock. As they started removing it from the tank it just started getting bigger & bigger. Turns out it weighed in at @ 12lbs alone.

Well, I couldn't pass it up. So now I have LOTS of rock. I plan on putting some in the sump & breaking the big piece of Tonge so that it fits the space better.

Anyone have any suggestions for what I can use to break the rock into smaller pieces?

Hope I can get some pics soon.

Sorry for the length, but I'm psyched to finally have this running.

AK

freakaccident

I have about that much in a 10g tank. I had to break two pieces up. I used a hammer and screw driver out on the driveway. Works great and breaks easy. I would suggest doing it on a garbage bag so you can save the little pieces and any critters that fall out. Doing it inside a 5g bucket would be even better. I did it on the bare pavement. A HUGE bristle worm fell out. I scopped him up and is happily living in my fuge.

I thought about the screwdriver or a chisel, but wasn't to cool with the idea of using a metal object on something that's going onto my tank.

I guess as long as no metal shavings wind up attached to the rock it should be OK.

Ike

In order to shave metal off of a chisel, you have to hit it with something harder than the chisel. Obviously, limestone skeletons are not that hard. There's nothing to worry about when using a chisel on your live rock.

John

Archived