Top Shelf Aquatics

sigh, just got back from a 3 week vacation

achu

I found the secret to removing all algae from my 6 gallon nanoreef.

Yup... It's really quite simple! Just make sure the first day you go on vacation and promise the "aquarium sitter" that the aquarium is one of those "just add water" tanks and everything else is automated... and have the automated light timer die soon after leaving for vacation... and "voila!" No more algae!

Actually, for having my tank in the dark for 3 weeks, I didn't loose too much... just all my sps corals :( All of the polyps, stars, mushrooms and sinularia are recovering well. I think one of my montipora might have survived... hard to tell, it is a bleached out brownish color, but I can most definately see polyps. Only time will tell.

Oh well... serves me right for going on vacation!

achu

Sorry to hear that.......I'll be leaving soon as well to go for training on the East coast. I'm contemplating on how I should setup my tank, in order to help my tank sitter make it easier.

On a related note, I just came back from a week vacation. Other than my powersweep which had desuctioned and was blowing sand all over the place, the tank actually looked great. The grape caulerpa in my fuge, however, was mysteriously gone. Where did it go?

Ahh going on vacation when you own a reef tank. The eternal reefer's dilemna. I left reefing back in the nineties because my tank was obliterated by lack of care while I was away.

But the bug is in me. So, I'm starting up my nano and hoping for the best. :) That and I'm not planning on keeping any extremely expensive sps corals. Hehe...

John

Archived