Coral Vue Hydros

What the LFS told me today! Hehe! Illustrated!

Acoustic

Ok so I go into Encinitas tropical fish. Located in Encinitas, California USA. I ask the guy if he has any fighting conchs. Well he repsonds with this story:

" We don't sell fighting conchs. Why would you want one. You know they are called fighting conchs because they shoot dangerous poison darts out of thier snouts. They do this to kill fish. They are very predatory. One time this guy was collecting them on the beach and he had a handfull of them. He got hit by one of the darts and he fell over and died right there on the spot!".

This was verbatim. I do love Encinitas tropical fish for thier excellent livestock of corals. Please for the love of sanity do not ask them any questions about ANYTHING.

Attached is a diagram I made of the supposed FIGHTING CONCH:

Was he joking? I don't even know how a person could even hear a partial story and then somehow in their minds recreate it to be about fighting conches. WOW. Although that would be one cool sight. pachow! pachow!

wow, who knew that fighting conch are not only good for tank cleaning, they are also adept at bar games.

When I get home tonight I am going to try working the conch for some cash.

hey acoustic, go back to your lfs, tell them you did some research and found out that fighting conch are acutally pugilistic. Tell him all the research you could find showed that they use their bare fists and not weapons but, since they are so knowledgeable on the subject, you notified the government that there are many homes in the US with fighting conch in tanks and that these conch are amassing weapons of mass destruction and sanctions on each tank should be imposed and a deadline to disarm should be set. If the snails don't disarm, the government is planning on sending in an army of triggers to remove the threat.

Tell the lfs that you think it is very patriotic that they don't sell any members of the tank cleaning axis of evil and as them politely to change the name from French Angel to Freedom Angel.

I am holding a cage match between a fighting conch and a 2" mantis. Time and place to be announced. My money is on the conch. No darts allowed.

Probably Asterina, they reproduce fast so they are cheap and readily available, they are stout and flat so their "flight" path through the water is true, plus they are small so the conch can carry a lot of them.

I am pretty sure they aim for the eyes where the stars stick to give the conch the advantage.

• 4 months later...

Bump

I was looking through a reef book today, and I saw a cone snail. The caption below described how Cone Snails can shoot poisonous arrows to kill fish. I thought of this post, and thought I would let everyone know its not as crazy as it sounds. The LFS employee just had the wrong snail.

1) Toxicity depends on the species of cone snail.

2) As far as I know, they don't "shoot" anything, but rather have a very long modified proboscis that is capable extending rapidly.

Archived