Cultivated Reef

Large Fuge during Powelr Outage

travisurfer

Ok, so I want to put an AC70 on my 2.5g but I also want to have water up to the black trim so that there is no water line. During a power outage, would the fuge drain out so much as to overflow the tank? Is that the purpose of putting a baffle in the fuge? I dont want to spend money so that I can have water on my floor and laptop. ;)

No, you should be fine travis, most of the water is stored in the main chamber of the filter, the small amount of water that drains back into the tank from the intake tube shouldn't be enough to overflow it. Don't hold me to this but you should be fine. Why don't you just test it out in the sink?

well, i know it increses the water level a good bit with my other filters. i beleive it has something to do with achieving equillibrium of pressure. maybe a larger baffle would keep more water on the right side so that it wouldnt go to the intake tube area and get suctioned into the tank.

I have an AC200 (AC50) on my 1.6 and when the filter is shut off the water level only goes down to the top of the overflow part of the filter. The baffles that every one puts in the AC are only for holding media they don't really do anything else since that part of the filter basket is full of holes. The only time more water will pour back out is when the water level drops below the intake on the filter and allows air in, kind of like a backwards siphon type thing. Why are you worried about a water line when the power is out? You aren't going to be doing much viewing without any lights.

I am worried about a water line when the power is ON and then about the level when the power turns off causing the HOB to empty out into the tank. So, if I turn off the filter it will only siphon out to a certain point and then leave my tank level somewhat constant and not cause it to overflow?(just being overly cautious)

thats what i have been testing and it does raise the level but it is hard to compare that small volume to a large volume. with my new hood, i just decided to go with a thermopump and a glass hood since the hood wouldnt fit on the tank with the filter in place.

Archived