SaltCritters.com

STUPID Hermits!

Scott Riemer

DARN Hermits, I wish I'd never got them! I know, it's all part of the "circle of life" whatever that's supposed to mean! Came home to find them ripping apart one of my Nassarius Vibex Snails. It sure wasn't for the shell because they'll never fit in there! Jerks! lol... Seriously though, I've had just about enough of them.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
chuckfullservice

what kinda hermits , my lfs said to buy red , but I bought the zebras they haven't touched my nassarius but they have taken down two of my turbos and not for the shells!

I wish I did not have them also but they do eat alot of detrius so I guess they're a necessary evil!

lol my roommate bought a staghorn hermit off of liveaquaria and at the same time, 8 red legged and 6 zebra hermits. lol the staghorn has now killed literally like half of them...:P

My hermits are fight machines.

I have a bunch of blues and reds. 1 White, the biggest jackas$ of all of them.

They may have killed a few small snails.

But my Nessarius snails are way too powerful to be bothered by them.

My Nessarius are like nuke powered sand submarines.

They will not be trifled with.

They steal food from my bubble tip anemone with impunity.

sand sifting geniuses they are.

VIVA LA NASSARIUS!

I just set a fire.

wow you must have horrible luck with hermits then. i have rouhgly 20 hermits in a 2.5 gal and i think only 1 died which was from shipping (was weak when it came out of the bag)...but that's not including my cleaner shrimps ripping appart 4 dwarf zebra hermits...lol...

Do you have any empty shells in the tank. I keep about 8 hermits and have about 10-15 empty shells in the tank and they seem to be doing fine.

I have scarlet, blue leg, baha, and some other kind in the tank.

VIVA LA NASSARIUS!

I just set a fire.

VIVA SUBMARINOS ACCIONADOS NUCLEARES DE LA ARENA! :bowdown::naughtydance::haha:

non-photosynt

Same thing - they killed all astreas (with a lot of shells of different sizes available), and now are killing each other, not for a food - there is plenty of it, and this morning I tried to distract them from this occupation by nice piece of salmon - no, they were too buzy.

Maroon, zebra and blue-legged hemits.

Yes Nass snails are way cool. I like to blow peoples minds when I feed and they come bounding out of the sand. As for hermits, my last hermit has gone missing quite some time ago. Now just have to turbos and 2 peppermints and my tank does fine. Plus alot of very little small snails that come out in the evening, dont know what they are but they seem harmless. Hermits arent necessary.

• 2 weeks later...
My hermits are fight machines.

I have a bunch of blues and reds. 1 White, the biggest jackas$ of all of them.

They may have killed a few small snails.

They steal food from my bubble tip anemone with impunity.

VIVA LA NASSARIUS!

I just set a fire.

post-22290-1162925649_thumb.jpgMy red hermit got OWNED!!!

Many LFS have shells but dont forget about art deco or ocean related stores,they may also have little hermit shells.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to get empty shells for hermits? lfs?

Yup. If they sell them they should have a lot of empty ones in the tanks.

The blue hermits are the most aggressive in my experirnce. My blue legged have never killed a snail, but I always see them harrassing each other. It did get better after adding enough empty shells to keep them occupied.

One of mine got what he deserved. Looked in one night and saw something sitting on top of some new Zoas I just got. I was worried thinking I may have gotten a Zoa eating Nudi or something. I watched for a second as my Skunk Cleaner Shrimp attacked it and realized it was a shell-less hermit. At first I thought it was just a molt but it was still moving, no claws left so it couldn't hurt my shrimp. Got a net and flushed him! Wierd.

I love hermit wars. I've had two battle for days with no one winning in the end. I've seen them rip another out of their shell and take it. Usually, every morning they are all huddled together, being friendly. When the lights come on, it's go time!

So much fun for a dollar.

Robb

I read an article recently that claimed hermits are not found in reef environments in the wild, more in the flats and intertidal zones. The artilcle claimed that hermits are not herbevores but omnivors and eat much more that just algeas. It sujested avoiding hermits and using a combination of nassarius. trochus and cerith snails as CUC.

It made sense.

Good read. I thnk hermits provide interest and entertainment value for sure! Just got my new tank today, and will definitely toss in a few to mix things up! As well as a few empty homes for them :)

DARN Hermits, I wish I'd never got them! I know, it's all part of the "circle of life" whatever that's supposed to mean! Came home to find them ripping apart one of my Nassarius Vibex Snails. It sure wasn't for the shell because they'll never fit in there! Jerks! lol... Seriously though, I've had just about enough of them.

Yea...they killed all my snails, if a snail fell and was on its back he would eat it -_-!

Sorry to hear about your snail :owned:

i had a halloween hermit in my tank with a large fighting conch. so i come home and look at my conch, who was moving faster than normal and there was my hermit. if i hadent thougt the site if him in that conch shell was the funnest thing ever i would have killed him. i was angry, but i decided to let him live. only now he mowes down every thing in my tank with that huge shell of his! crawling across my zoas and other corals! its terriable! or funny....

i currently have him in a fish only tank. little basterd!

luscien

• 2 weeks later...
chuckfullservice

I believe my large zebra hermit caught and ate my small sixline while he was sleeping.

I saw him the night before he was eating and swimming great in perfect health. The next morning he was no where to be found . So I went looking for him , I found him with a large gouge in his body. Since all of my hermits are still alive I don't believe I have any other predators in my tank such as a mantis or anything like that . The only other critters in the tank are 2 percs and 10 snails which is down from 25 because the hermits killed all the other various snails. The only snails that seem to be able to ward off the hermits are my nassarious. I am thinking about buying a flame hawk to take down my hermits !

I read an article recently that claimed hermits are not found in reef environments in the wild, more in the flats and intertidal zones. The artilcle claimed that hermits are not herbevores but omnivors and eat much more that just algeas. It sujested avoiding hermits and using a combination of nassarius. trochus and cerith snails as CUC.

It made sense.

Here in Guam they are in reef enviroments in fact I got about a 5 inch hermit last week on top of some coral.

• 1 year later...

Some of these posts are LOL funny.

I'm not sure I want to deal with those little bastards myself. Had a bunch of them in my old tank a while back. Nothing good ever came of them and I still had that nasty green alge. This time around I'll get mostly snails. Already have three Astrea and they're munching on the LR. :D

I'm keeping one Scarlet Reef Hermit though..........

Archived