ReefCleaners.org

Questions for 2.5 minibow!

directional

I was going to do a 5 gal or 10 gal aga but when i saw the 2.5 minibow I decided to go with that instead.

I am thinking of what to do with the light should I just stick with the 10w for now or go right for the 20 and do the modding?

Is there any good straight forward tutorial on doing the 20w? I saw dancobs post but it wasnt very step by step but i kinda got the point..

What do you think I can keep with the 10w light? and what can I keep with the 20w light?

I am thinking of Zoo's , Softies, and Mushrooms...

I have a AC30 that I wonder if it will fit on the back or not any suggestions?

I also will be getting approx 5lbs of LS and I have already cured LR ..

How do I stand as of now ?

I have a 2.5 MB (about 8 wks old) and tried as best as I could to follow doncb's, because his has been so successful. :)

I think most people have found the 10W a little lacking, and it doesn't light the tank very evenly w/o centering it. I did the 20W mod, and I really like the lighting. It's not that hard, some fairly easy clipping with side cutters, and use of a dremel tool. The lamp sockets can be gotten at either HD or Lowes. I used a screw through the hood, to hold the socket in place, and Aquamend to seal it and also really helps hold in place. BTW when you paint the inside of the hood white, (Krylon Fusion), use masking tape to cover up the little vent holes or else you will see the white paint from the outside. ;)

I think I only used 2 or 3 lbs of sand.

An AC20 fits perfectly, the AC30 I think requires a little modding to fit.

I will try to post my 2.5 MB pico soon.

I have a 2.5 MB (about 8 wks old) and tried as best as I could to follow doncb's, because his has been so successful. :)

I think most people have found the 10W a little lacking, and it doesn't light the tank very evenly w/o centering it. I did the 20W mod, and I really like the lighting. It's not that hard, some fairly easy clipping with side cutters, and use of a dremel tool. The lamp sockets can be gotten at either HD or Lowes. I used a screw through the hood, to hold the socket in place, and Aquamend to seal it and also really helps hold in place. BTW when you paint the inside of the hood white, (Krylon Fusion), use masking tape to cover up the little vent holes or else you will see the white paint from the outside. ;)

I think I only used 2 or 3 lbs of sand.

An AC20 fits perfectly, the AC30 I think requires a little modding to fit.

I will try to post my 2.5 MB pico soon.

Thanks for the reply.. I ordered the 20w light from petsmart.com because none of my LFS carry this light ( only the 10w ). It came out to $23 w/ shipping and tax.

I got 5lbs of white sand from my LFS for $4

My fiance works at Ace Hardware and gets a killer discount so she is picking up the light fixture tonight.

My AC30 JUST fits on so I plan on using that... 150gph filter will turn approx 60 times an hour and approx 1500 times a day.. I will be tuning it down and trying to direct the water to the middle some how.

Did you paint the back of your tank??? and can you please take a picture of your hood so I can see it? I can use all the ideas as possible!!

What kind of corals are you keeping etc?

I will be posting pics soon!

post-19729-1161565405_thumb.jpg

Here is the hood mod. I bought a 40mm chipset fan w/the intentions of adding it to the hood, (just like doncb's ;) ), but to be honest, unlike what seems to be the case with everyone else, my tank does not get hot with the 20W screw-in. In fact my heater kicks on intermittently and it stays 79.

When I first set it up, inside the hood stayed dry. Now that the A/C is not running, it does get condensation up in the hood...so I may have to add the fan just to keep it dry.

I considered painting the back of my MB. Instead I use a piece of black construction paper, which fits well, between the tank and the trim pieces. It stays dry, and I can change the color if I want to. :)

Archived