Pod Your Reef

LIVE ROCK

MOOKIE1012

firefishbrain

I don't believe there is actually the best kind, just what you like to look at, it's generally thought that the more porous stuff has more surface area, thus more space for benificial bacteria, check out an lfs. yuo would prolly want fully cured live rock. I don't know about every one else but I wouldn't go online til I check my lfs's first, just cuz they'll spend less time out of the water and you can cherry pick your pieces.

• 2 weeks later...

I've gotten liverock from LiveAquaria.com twice. I got their nano pack and a the 24 lb. box of Tonga Branch.

The rock was "ok". The sizes and shapes were nice, but there wasn't much coraline algae on it.

My brother got a 40 lb. box of Walt Smith premium Fiji LR (from a seller on ebay), and he got some very nice rock. Awesome purple color, a nice selection of good hitchhikers. All in all a very nice selection of LR, at a price that was cheaper than I paid from LiveAquaria.

But yes, do try your LFS's first. Even if it is a little more expensive (remember to factor in shipping for the online prices). With the LFS, at least you get to see what you are buying, instead of rolling the dice. Also ask around at your LFS's and see when they get new shipments of LR in, and be there that day to get the best pieces.

I would say premium aquatics all the way. Here are some pics of the rock I got from them. The tank is a 15 gallon long. If i remember correctly its about 20 pounds of marshall. About half of the rock was cured, and the tank cycled in 4 days. The rock itself is very porous and light. The coraline on it is very colorful- orange, 3 shades of green, reds and purples, yellow, and white; but the life is kind of bare. As far as hitchickers I got lots of pods and worms, and 1 aiptasia which i promptly chisled off. Also the halmeda bush i have growing on the right side of the tank came from a tiny bud on the rock as well. The tank was set up at the end of july, so the tank is roughly 3.5 months old.

Premium Aquatic Marshall Nano, and 4 branches of Dry Tonga

post-15691-1162532550_thumb.jpg

Initial Aqua Scape

post-15691-1162532565_thumb.jpg

Recent FTS with modified Aquascape

post-15691-1162532584_thumb.jpg

D

• 1 month later...

Since this thread was brought back to life I though I would link my own thread about rock. I figured it would be a good idea to have a thread filled with various rock pics and comments about arrival condition, life, growth and how the rock has progressed down the line. This is so people can make informed decisions about which place to order from , or what type of rock to get. It will also give everyone the chance to compare rock bought at LFS to those bought online. So far the only intrest in the thread was what type of lights I have hah, so its a little surprising, perhaps its in the wrong forum. I know almost every reef tank has some rock in it, even if your looks like crap post it, its all valuable info.

D

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=104690

Wrong forum section?
maybe, but if we recommend aquaculturing LR suppliers it wouldn't be. ;)

tampabaysaltwater.com

garf.org

tbs is probably the leader but i remember there were a couple of other companies when aquaculturing licenses were being handed out (around 3~4 licenses awarded by florida back in the mid/late 90's iirc). i wonder what happened to those guys? :huh:

I was disapointed in my bock of 30lbs I got from P.A. lots and lots of ruble. There was some nice coraline on it but it was not what I wanted that is for sure. O well.

• 2 weeks later...
mandarin dragonet

LIVE THREAD LIVE!!

check out your LFS first, a tad more expensive but atleast you aren't buying blindly.

the way i got somegood peices (contradicted by buying blind thing, you need to have your eyes closed :P )

eh-hem:

EENY MEENY MINEY MO,

CATCH A PIGGY BY THE TOE,

IF IT SQUEALS, LET IT GO,

EENY MEENY MINEY MO,

IT IS NOT YOU.

so simple, and fun. :lol:

noobwithatank

i go to the lfs. ( well not to local about 1 hour away ) an hand pick it... uncured rock. last time i got lettuce rock (sp) an it was awesome at an amazing price of 4.50 a lb!

Archived