SaltCritters.com

Pico refugium, lowest flow. How?

non-photosynt

non-photosynt

I know, this forum is for a picos as a separate systems, but Refugium forum is more oriented on the larger, higher flow systems.

I'm trying to find solution for keeping a couple of tiny sexy shrimps observable and safe. If I place them in the big tank, it will be last time I saw them.

The usual solution is 2.5g pico, but I would prefer something smaller, connected to the main tank by piping, so I don't have test water in pico separately, maintain one more water quality and worry about heating.

Or in-tank kind. Alas, breeders box is not the best for an observation.

From what I already know, even Micro-Jet 450 at lowest flow will be too strong for supplying water for aquavase size of the tank.

May be someone of you had seen something of this kind, or did it. Links, ideas?

Now shrimps are in the in-tank fish breeder box, photos are here.

Thanks.

would something like this work for an in tank solution? LinkThey come in multiple sizes - You might have to mod it slightly to provide better flow. You could probably also mod it to attach suction cups so it's not floating around like a breeder box

I like the in tank idea better than the external - You don't have to plumb it

Another possibility is one of those "catch / holding" box thingys they sometimes use at the LFS when you buy a fish - People have used them as overflow boxes too

Sorry if these don't help, but noone else seemed to be responding to you

would something like this work for an in tank solution? LinkThey come in multiple sizes - You might have to mod it slightly to provide better flow. You could probably also mod it to attach suction cups so it's not floating around like a breeder box

I like the in tank idea better than the external - You don't have to plumb it

Another possibility is one of those "catch / holding" box thingys they sometimes use at the LFS when you buy a fish - People have used them as overflow boxes too

Sorry if these don't help, but noone else seemed to be responding to you

those tanks are ok i guess....but i dont like that type of acrylic for some reason....

there is always these

those bad boys are stackable!!! i wanted to have 4 set up w/ piping that connects them all.....

could buy one of those 30$ intank fuges....

probably one of those cases where you have to fabricate your own......

so thats what you ment by in-tank-pico........

oh the catch hold thingies are specimen containers...they do come in larger sizes.....i think LEE makes em

found more......

and more, google large aquarium specimen containers

Hey eels, that fuge is cool! I bet it would work for the sexies

yeah but im cheap.......id sooner buy a whole new pico than buy something that simple i could make.......for 20 bucks more you could have a 3 gal tom pico w/ that bad arse light it comes with....

but then non-photosynt would have to plumb it to the larger tank - The in tank fuge is pretty much plug n' play

ack! thats right.....he said he wanted it "chained" to his main system.....

id probably just get the large specimin container and mod it to be held in place w/ big suction cups.....

then make a hole for a power head to fit in....

naturally id make a reducer/difuser of some sort out of pvc....

if you got the powerhead and pvc, this option is only an 8-10 dollar purchase....

if i had to buy everything id just get the in tank fuge....probably cost the same in the long run....

wish i could post a pic of the spray bar i made......i went w/ a slot vs many holes....i get a nice flat current....

maybe thats the solution to his powerhead being too powerful problem....just make a pvc difuser w/ lots of holes drilled all around the pvc and have it fit on the outlet....make it as long as the "intankpico"......

the longer the pvc pipe, the more the flow is difused....

non-photosynt

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Already bought Tom's Pla-House Curvie Mini (actually, sexy shrimps were in this in LFS, inside the big tank. Holes in the lid are a bit large and the lid is not transparent), and Lee's small specimen container (too narrow for the hand for cleaning).

Also while checked the links, found an Aqua bridge, that can connect 2g pico to the other tank, but restricted to the one edge size. Like the idea, but massive and expensive.

Didn't know about the large in-tank refugium - with diffusing spray bar it would be the best.

Or, being as cheap as I am, may be will make Pla-house mini on suction cups, without lid, with a spray bar too. Micro-Jet I already have. Have to think a bit about the choice.

Archived