Cultivated Reef

cloudy weather

Dr.fish

i have a 30 gallon reef tank and its really cloudy.Its green the people at the fish store said that its was elge in the water and to keep my lights off for four day intill it go's a way. Is this what i should do.

This is his friend, . Brad, send me the pics.

The tank is really cloudy, it's algae no doubt. It's probably from him keeping on the lights too long and the tank being next to a window. I told him to try running some carbon, don't know if it would help, but he kept his filter off. I'd also think that running a skimmer would help a bit. They can take some nasty stuff from the water.

would water changes help at all?

holy ######. pardon the french.

It's similar to that, not as green (last time i saw it, a week ago) it's not THAT green, But it is a nice light green. It's just very cloudy, you an still see everything in the tank, but it is still green.

By 100 gal water change, how long did it take you to do that? How would we do this?

Would it cycle again?

I'll be running my skimmer on brad's tank once I come over sometime so that will help. What kind of filter media would work for this in a tetratec? Any brand names etc?

Thanks!

yeah.. it starts out that way.. slightly green murk... then it turns into HELL I tell you!..

Skimming and a micron filter... Marineland has a HOT (hang on tank) filter with micron cartidges.. I reduced the amount of light to the tank, started skimming and filtering with the micron cartidge..

The 100g was over the span of about 3 weeks...

It didn't need to re-cycle, it was just an over-abundance of phyto growing rapidly in the increased amount of light... currently the tank is clean, but I'm continuing on the reduced light for a bit longer to attempt to starve it... it seems to be working.. I haven't had to use the micron cartidge in about a week...

Filter feeders should in theory also help to control it once you've got the initial problem under control.. so I'm starting to move some corals back into the tank slowly... if it gets worse, I would recommend placing your corals in a hospital tank temporarily... my zoos survived, but some began suicide missions to find better placement in the tank... which is kind of interesting, because now I'm finding single polyps in odd locations that kamakazeed off the zoo mat and into a rock crevase... but I degress...

just keep an eye on it.. don't let it get bad.. start by reducing your photo period and see if that helps...

"Phytoplankton are free floating flora which convert inorganic compounds into complex organic compounds. This process of primary productivity supports the pelagic food-chain."

IF--------

If you have access to a Diatom filter....I have a System 1 - dem babies can clean dmn near anything out of the water column in an hour or 2 with powder changes.

always used it on FW, though.

Anyone know if it is ok on SW?

They really KICK-A$$

Generally higher temps and higher pH help to inhibit the growth of problem algae...

I don't know about a diatom filter, but used a micron filter and worked well too..

but again, that doesn't solve the problem, it just cleans the results of the problem..

Archived