Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

What Type Of Xenia Is This?

SaltyDawg

I went to my favorite LFS today and purchased a frag of neon green and white xenia with two stalks and very big polyp's.

I got it , some red twiggy looking Macro algae, and a very small frag of some sort of red start polyp for 7 bucks!!

Any how I was wondering what kind of xenia I have. I already have one pulsing xenia with a pinkish red stalks and silver blue polyps. Most I have seen are red pink or whitish tan. Never have I seen this neon green color.

Included is a pic, But, You know the drill : CRAPY CAMERA!!!!! YIKES! ! The Xenia in question is on the lower right of the photo. The one that looks like a white'ish green blob! LOL!

I'd say it's a whitish-green glob xenia..

hard to say w/o better detail.. but Xenia are Xenia.. little variation in requirements..

does it pulse? (some Xenia do, some don't)

It pulses like mad! Wasnt worried about how to care for it I was just wondering it it was a rare color strain realy. although you cant tell by my ######ty camera It is realy realy neon green on the polyps and super white on the stalk.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Nishant3789

its not dyed, i have seen one i REALLLY REALLY think they look COOOOOOL dude you should frag it asap and start trading it in to the LFS. its a rare variety strain. ive seen a colony of 3 stalks go for $100. send some my way sometime

nishant

SWEET!!!!! I hope your right! I can get 4 inch frags with 3 stalks for 7 bucks from the same LFS where I got this one.

Sounds to me like Elongatas.

The stalks are white and the back/lower side of the head is green right? Usually they only get like this when they get BIG but I guess its possible when they are on tiny.....

:)

The frag was taken from a huge colony. I atatched it when I got home. yes it is bright white on the stalks but the entire hand on the xenia is neon green sort of yellow green. Well wait a minute I guess if what you mean by on the back of the head as in on the hand shaped polyps then yep it is only greenish on the back of the polyp.

Will postsome better pictures of it this weekend. although I am prety sure if you go to my post's in members nano reefs, you will find pictures of it under "one more time for good pics. It is the 1st picture.

The pic doesn't show green from my view. It looks like your run of the mill Red Sea variety of pulsing Xenia (a little bleached I might add). I think with some time under good light, the whitish/green will turn to pinkish/blue. By that time, you should probably have like 10 stalks running rampid across your tank. I could be wrong and would really love to see a close up of the green hand if you can get one.

When The stalks are fully inflated and erect as well with the polyps the hands are real yellow / green. I will try to get a good picture of it. It looks like run o' the mill in the pic because I forgot to take the flash off. It may just be the actinics bringing out the green?

Archived