Innovative Marine Aquariums

metal halide placement on a 10 gallon

topfish

Hello all, I am upgrading my lights in my 10 gallon, and I am upgrading to a 175W 4300K metal halide bulb. I will be getting a ballast with it so it will reduce the amount of heat but, with big light, wouldn't I have to worry about the light damaging the tank due to heat? Would I have to have the metal halide a certain distance from the top of the tank? If so, how big should the distance be? The metal halide will be hooked up in a canopy. Thanks all!

I would say with a 175watt metalhalide bulb on a 10 gallon tank you would want it at least 8 inches off the surface with a plexi glass sheild to prevent splash and to keep out uv rays ( VERY IMPORTANT) I wouldnt stay with the 4500k bulb for too long though or you will get hella break outs in nusiance algaes. poor spectrum in light equals unwanted algae's and unhealthy corals. I would get at least a 6500k but optimal would be a 10000k. If the canopy is totaly enclosed you will definately want a good fan on it running when the lights are on. even if the back is open I would still hok up a fan to draw air in to the canopy so as it circulates the hot air out.

Archived