Top Shelf Aquatics

pics of 15g tall

kryptonite

Hey guys, I haven't been here in a while but I'm glad to be back. Since I last posted on this forum my tank has been through a lot... too much to list. One thing that happened recently though is that my pc light melted some stuff. That sucked so I thought but because of this my fiance has allowed me to purchase a pretty cool 150w hqi setup. It should be here within the week, probably monday or tuesday. I am so exited. Hope she knows I'll be spending money on clams and sps's now. Oh well she'll soon find out... hehe.

Well here are some pics for now without the metal halide fixture.

technoshaman

Good color, interested to see with new fixture. I love blue spot jawfish - have two in a seaprate tank. Good call on going crushed coral - I have sand in mine and they make a friggin mess.

Thanks for the reply. I have sand in mine too, I just put some crushed coral in to cover the sand around his area so that he would have plenty of materials to use in building his home. I was surprised to find that one of my lfs's had about 7 of these blue spotted jawfish and were selling them for $64. That alone is a great price and with my 10% discount I ended up spending around $62 with tax on him. I sure hope he doesn't die. That is still a lot of money to me at the moment.

Well good luck with your jawfish they are very entertaining and beautiful too. I hope they do well.

P.S. I don't know if there are any grammatical errors in this post but if there are please dissregard... I'm very very drunk right now. I've had one or seven too many shiners and it is about 4 in the morning right now. Oh yeah when I get my new lights I'll post some pics. It is the macro fixture that is on sale for $260 @ www.championlighting.com if you were wondering. (very good deal I think)

Thanks again,

Nathan

technoshaman

I'm thinking you got them from the same place I got mine. Partners Pets in Round Rock? I normally wouldn't have bought mine but they were very healthy / alert looking and the price was decent with the discount. Have to say they get really nice fish in but their dry goods are waaaaaaayyyyy expensive. Then again pretty much every place in town is really high on dry goods - people still think there is money here or something lol - dot com boom is long gone.

Check out Gallery of Pets on 183 North / Research too they have some decent stuff as well and prices are reasonable.

Wow! That really freaked me out. Yeah I live in Pflugerville and that is where I got mine. What are the odds? I do most of my shopping at aquatek but sometimes I go to partners for my discount. You are right though their prices are pretty extreme on their dry goods. They want over $400 for a 2 light vho kit. Gallery of Pets is an ok place but it seems like every one of their tanks usually has a bad case of aptasia. That store also has a wierder than normal smell. You probably have been to aquatek but if you haven't you should check it out some time. It's just down from that home theatre store on Burnet just past where Burnet meets Steck. They take almost anything in trade and give you a great price for it. They gave me $15 for a bi-color pseudicromis one time. They also have a beautiful show tank. Well it was nice talking to someone from my home town on here. I'm still freaked out though...hehe.

Nathan

technoshaman

I get RO/DI water from Aquatek sometimes. I use it for topoffs. I have water change water in a 30 gallon trashcan that's just tap water that's aged a few weeks.

Aquatek is a great store, some stuff is a little expensive but they do sell some high end stuff (geisman lighting, tunze skimmers, eheim filters).

If you are interested static there is a reef type organization for central/south texas www.maast.org also there is the austinreefkeepers but that's mostly just a semi dead message board on yahoo. You can find people to trade frags and buy/sell stuff with. We are having a meeting the 29th in Round Rock at the place of the guy who runs www.theclamclub.net - Jim. Might want to check it out.

static69static

The main reason I took down my reef was the hardship to have to go and get water all the time. I'm interested in this aged tap water? How does it become RO/DI water by just sitting there? Do you get algae blooms? Why don't you use the aged water for topoff?

Yes I'm a member of MAAST and AUSREEFERS, just always busy and never have time to check them out.

technoshaman

I have some problems here and then with algae. Getting that much water for changes every week from the store is just not practical with 12 hours at school and 40+ hours at work. I plan on getting a RO/DI unit this spring but for now the tapwater will have to do. I need to get a phosphate test kit and check out our city water.

static69static

i might look into thatt water storing idea. If it works, then that is awesome cause that is the solution I'm looking for. I barely can afford the reef tank, besides an RO/DI unitt and the upkeep for it.

if u are at a college then they mostlikely have a science department....wel they have to have absolutly pure water....im sure they can spare 5 gal here and there...check it out...thats what i plan on doing next year at college...

Archived