Top Shelf Aquatics

[Custom] RayWhisperer

RayWhisperer

Let's try it again.

It's a custom acrylic tank I picked up in Wisconsin. It's called a Nano Niner. By this I'd guess it's a 9 gallon. Looks kinda like a CPR tank I saw once, but I'm not sure.

My drink, water. Yeah, that's right water.

What I'm gonna do.... Deepwater reef. All NON photosynthetic. I know, I know, FLAME ON! :lol:

The reason I chose this is two part.

First. My Evil NanoCube of Death was a project I've been working on for quite a while. I didn't think it'd be fair to use it, even though it has yet to see a drop of water.

The second. It would have crushed everyone elses! :lol:B);)

Now I'll try to post pics of the measuring, so no one asks.

Measurements

Hmm, seems the pics are too big, I can only add one per post....

Anyway, it's 12" high x 9" wide x 20" long.

I'll try shrinking them and reposting.

Sorry for the delay.

That is a sweet little tank. I love the sleek look of it, like those all-in-one systems.

The public wants more details! What kinds of coral are you planning on keeping, and how do you plan to feed them?

Okay, maybe I'm the only curious one. But I'll be watching this tank closely since I also want to keep organisms that need feeding.

Inhabitants;

Non photosythetic corals.... Thinking along the lines of sunpolyps, dendro, carnation, gorgonians, stylopora.

Almost forgot, chili.

Non photosynthetic sponges; I haven't really looked at much, but what's on liveaquaria.

Filterfeeding cryptic inverts; Electric flame scallops, tiger porcelain crabs, tunicate, and..... DUN DUN DUN DUN!!!!! feather star!!!!

This is going to tick a few people off, but I needed to try it, since the competition has so many interesting themes. All inverts will be locally purchased, not ordered. I'll be taking one of these off the hands of a LFS, as it was mistakenly ordered(in the case of the feather star)

I'm trying desperately to find a small bioluminescent fish or invert too.

I'm tinkering with the idea of a skimmer on a timer. Basically, it'll come on for 10 mins every hour. Also, I have an Ehim wed/dry canister I'm thinking about trying to use this in the setup as well.

The tank will have high flow for sure. I'm thinking in the neighborhood of 500 to 700 GPH randomized.

Feeding will be three times daily (hence the skimmer), but this isn't set in stone. This'll be a trial and error with very close monitoring of nitrate and phosphate levels.

Lighting will be ALOT... Why? Cuz I want to. one 13 watt 7100k, one 9 watt blue, one 18 watt 03 actinic, and one 24 watt actinic. It's gonna be bright blue. Bulbs may change depending on the "look".

Ray, I'm stoked silly about this tank - I'm putting a temperate basket star in my cold tank (much easier to keep), and would love to put one in my 29g as well, since I'm already feeding it every day for the gorgonians.

But, why lots of light on your tank? It's (obviously) not needed, and the second biggest downfall of non-photosynthetic organisms is algae growth - although that may not exist in a 'bright blue' tank, I don't know.

At any rate, this tank of yours goes right along with my rubble bottom experiemnt - I will be following closely, and trembling in fear the whole time. :scarry:

Jeremai, I'm thinking that the spectrum won't be benefitial for algae growth. I could be wrong though. I'll have to do more investigation.

I thoght about a basket star as well, but I hear they get pretty big. I was also thinking about a tube anemone, and still am. I'm just worried about size, since this is a small tank.

No need to tremble with fear, the evil nc of death isn't in the contest. I will be starting a thread on that soon as well.

Hooray for crazy high flow! :lol:

I would love to try some of those animals, but I'm not yet confident they'd have a reasonable chance in my tank. Tunicates and flame scallops come to mind. Bleh. But if hitchhikers on liverock happen to survive, that won't hurt my feelings any.

Have you seen these bulbs? I use them on my 5.5 tank to really fine-tune the lighting spectrum. They sound like they might appeal to you. And the 12k bulbs are a gorgeous blue color.

I'm tinkering with the idea of a skimmer on a timer. Basically, it'll come on for 10 mins every hour.

That's why I've got a skimmer on my 10 too. I'm thinking of running mine on a timer with a 2 hour "off" cycle so I can feed the tank, and doing the same deal with monitoring phosphates and nitrates.

The biggest challenge with any of these filter feeders seems to be finding things they will eat. What foods are you thinking about using?

The biggest challenge with any of these filter feeders seems to be finding things they will eat. What foods are you thinking about using?
I've had great success with Roti Feast and Phyto Feast. I'll probably also throw in some DT's phyto and oyster eggs. Granted, I only have a few non phot's Chili, sun, and dendro. I had a tunicate for awhile, it did ok on this feeding. I'm hoping the scallops and feather star feed on about the same sized foods. I'm having trouble finding info on the food size of feather stars.

Thanks for the link on those bulbs, I've got em all already though.

sorry to jack your thread, but i picked up some amazing shrooms and the gut told me it was connected to a tunicate, please if you can post a pict of what one looks like.

Thanks for the link Jere.

Xpistos looky

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...id=1150&N=0

and another possibility(I'm also gonna get one of these. I had one, it did well till a tank crash.)

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...id=1696&N=0

Hmm, Roti-Feast and Phyto-Feast. Those look like they have possibilities. Thanks for the tip.

How long did you have your tunicate?

only three or four months. I was planning a tank like this awhile back. Since I went WAYYY over budget on my evil nc of death, I didn't think I'd be setting it up anytime soon. So I sold it. -_-

Mine king of looks like the Sea Squirts, but not colored, plain brown. Kind of reminds me my feather dusters tube, but only bigger. Thanks for the help though.

Archived