SaltCritters.com

Question about Mandarin fish

Reefy

Will mandarin fish eat frozen foods? I've been told that they can be fed frozen foods if it's the only fish in the tank beacause other fish get it first.

They will, the frozen foods aren't as nutritious as copepods and all, but it will do. You either have to make sure they are eaten the frozen foods at the LFS or spend a lot of time trying to get it to eat frozen food.

When I bought mine I had them thow some frozen brine shimp in the tank first to see if he would eat it. Only one out of the the three that we tried would eat it.

I don't know how many times I've been through posts like this. Don't count on a Mandarin eating frozen foods, seeing as we're on a nano site, your tank is probably WAY TO SMALL. Mandarins need an endless supply of copepods to eat. Don't put the little bugger in a tank that's to small and hope that he eats frozen food. I've heard anywhere from 60-75lbs of live rock minimum for a sustainable supply.

I made a bad decision when I started up my 40g tank and said "wow that's a cool fish". I had done no research and just bought him, when I got him home and tried to feed him he wouldn't eat. The only realistic option was to go get live brine, so I fed him live brine for about a week and got him "dropper trained" so he realized that the dropper brought food. Sure he eats frozen foods now, enriched brine and bloodworms, but I have to hand feed him 2-3 times a day, every day, week and month.

-Jonathan

Let me tell you all a little story that just might make you think of getting into the "Mad Mandarine" sysndrome...

I was once a prominent business man with a great career and lots of money, beautiful wife and huge home. I got me a nano one day and was on top of the world. A man like me with all that I had, was still not complete somehow.

Then, one day I wonder into a LFS and I am looking around and spy a BEAUTIFUL fish I had never seen before. "What, Sir is this thing of beauty I behold?" I asked the pimple headed employee. And he replies "Mandarine, The Great Mandarine Goby!"

I was floored... all my work and accomplishment lead up to this point in my life and I had found what I was looking for. I looked at the price on the tank and it read "$11.99" - But if I knew then what I know now it would have read "Your Soul!" I quickly purchased the beauty and rushed home to place the prize in my tank.

My life was grand, I was the happiest man on Earth,... or so I thought. As the days went by I continued to care for the tank, but for some odd reason I could not seem to keep the Mighty Mandarine plump and full. I began making calls and flying in experts in the field - Dave Espi was there too. As I had the studies and tests done, I sat back thinking that this could be my demise somehow, I didnt know when or where or why but I knew.

One day a week later, Dave comes walking into my home office ( I moved my company there so I could monitor the progress of the studies) and announces "He needs Co-Co Puffs! - uhmm, uh I mean Copepods!" So I talked with the top reasearchers and brains in the field of Copepodness and discovered much like Jackobox I coudl supplement him with enriched brine and bloodworms. But I have to hand feed him 2-3 times a day, every day, week and month.

I began doing this and slowly it began to consume my life... all I every thought about was where will I get my next fix of Brine. My Wife confronted me and said I would have to choose between her and the Mighty Mandarine, and I being the week man I now was of course chose the Mandarine. My work was unimportant to me now, plus I had no time between searching the streets for Vitamin "B" as its known on the street, and the 3 feedings per day. Mad Mandarine Mind I later learned was what had overcome me, and it had a firm grip.

I lost my business, my wife, my vehicles were repossesd, and everything was gone except the Nano (Damn you Chris Marks!) and the Mighty Mandarine. I wondered the streets carrying the 50# 5 gallon from alleyway to alleyway, for almost 8 years. Searching for Vitamin B behind LFS's and Sea Monkey Warehouses - where I knew I could find the discarded, old Vitamin B.

Finally, one day I was lugging the Nano, and I saw a man walking into a place a there was a sign - It read "Mandarine Recovery Facilities" so I approched. I looked in and a man walked over to me and for the first time asked if he could help me with the Nano. I said "Yes Please Sir." He then said " Then set it here and come with me." I placed that Nano on a small table with several other Nanos and walked through the doors of the Insane Assylum, I mean Mandarine Recovery Facilities Addmissions, and never looked back.

The Mandarine no longer controls me and I can see that now - I just hope it is not too late for our friend Jackobox.

Come on Jackobox - Who has time to hand feed 3 times a day that is ridiculous. And WHY would a fish need to eat three times a day, if you belive that then you I am sure believe that "Beautiful" story of my life.

Get Real.

Well you obviously have nothing intelligent to write, but you seem to have an abundance of free time to waste, so tell me what exactly do you know about Mandarin Fish???

Considering they're shy fish to begin with and spend the ENTIRE day looking for food, that means they're active, and the other fish steal most of the food before he gets to it, feeding 2-3 times a day to keep him plump and not on the verge of starvation, feeding that often sounds good to me. I've fed him once a day for about a week and he was skinny as hell.

So instead of wasting your time writing stories, obviously showing your lack of intelligence, why don't you spend the time doing some research.

-Jonathan

It's better to be called a fool than to open your mouth and prove it.

Yadda-yadda-yadda, well I guess we can see who is the one with the intelligence problem, abundant time? If it would take you more than 5 mins. to think up and type that "story" then you probably also rode the short bus, and think your mom is the prettiest woman ever! - Am I right?

Dont get all upset Jackolope I am just kickin' back chilling and havin fun. And yeah I have had a Mandarine in a 29g for going on 4 years now with no fuge, and about 40# LR, if it is slow starvation then that is one SLOW starvation.

One last thing - you say "ENTIRE" day looking for food - Well what are you gonna open a Mandarine slave labor camp and put them to work - WHAT THE HELL ELSE ARE THEY GONNA DO BUT SWIM AROUND AND LOOK FOR FOOD THEY ARE FREAKIN FISH!!! Or maybe send one to LSU and steal his paychecks after he graduates and is a successful fish attorney, thats one way to make money in this hobby I guess.

Well you see where I live we all had the 'big" bus. It seems you must have come from one of the rather inbred secions of Houston where all they needed were the small buses and that would explain your comment about me thinking my mom was the prettiest woman in the world. Up here in Massachusetts (can you spell that?) we don't have the inbreeding problem that you had, when my family tree is looked at it's not a circle like yours.

I guess that explains your apparent lack of intelligence. Tell me, I looked at all the posts you've made and except for about 10 out of 40 they were all about your little cube tank that you built, is this your pride and joy??

The only way that you can get attention from people is from flaming them and ####ing them off. Well let me tell you something, I'm not ####ed or frustrated. I've dealt with so many people like you, mommy didn't love you enough, daddy didn't play ball with you...WAAAAAAA!!!!!! Go somewhere else and cry for some attention, you sad pathetic little boy.

Have a great Day,

-Jonathan :)

If you are so smart then why is it i had no problem getting your IP address?

I am just wondering... you know what that is dont you?

honestly, this thread is kick ass ;)

made me loler.

Jack, The story was quite intelegent and total truth.

I loved TEXass thanks fer the ticket Nickel, I had a blast.

Jack, had you bothered to do a search, or read ANY threads on mandarins, you will have the answer to your quandry.

Mandarins are just bad in small tanks unless you have such a pod population explosion of Uber-epicness in a fuge that is bigger than 2 x the size of your show tank, chances are you are NOT going to have luck with the "Oh so nice-E-niceeee" Mandarin.

and uh.... LURK more before railing on experienced members on NR who actualy have a good base of knowledge with silly fingerpointings and lame comebacks,......

AND then you will go far !

hth. :happy:

ps:

GOBACK%202%20BEGINEWRRSforum.jpg

Why is it again that I'm getting jumped all over??? Dave have you read my first post?? I gave the REEFY advice, don't count on a Mandarin eating frozen foods, at no point in time did I ask anything about Mandarin fish...so go ahead and read my first post in this thread and find somewhere in that where I deserved to be jumped on for giving my advice and "MY EXPERIENCES" on the fish I have.

Nickle could have done the same thing and said "hey, I've kept one in a 29 for 4 years and this is how...". Instead he comes up with this story to mock me and "MY EXPERIENCE" with my fish. He wasn't asking for smart a** remarks or stories, he's here looking for information and other peoples experiences with a Mandarin Fish. If Nickle had something useful to add to the thread he could have put it here, if he didn't he should have kept his mouth shut.

-Jonathan

at no time during that post was my mouth open. see what i get for giving my advise I get jumped on by a jackoplope and made fun of. maybe your mouth is open while you type so the drool can escape but mine was SHUT I TELL YOU!

now i am going off to cry.

Jacko that reply was NOT aimed at you the way I read it, you got all defensive, and then he replies BACK.

the story itself was humerous. I think you have gottin' touch TOO much with yer efeminate side :love:

If you want to fit in here, don't throw a tantrum till ya figure out who is who and how their post replies read.

Nickel was being facetious, while I am sarcastic and Blunt. Crakeur is dry and second tiered in his humor and a few others are just silly.... its a learning curve d00der. ;)

relax, sit back and realize, unless we post :mad: we are just pulling strings to see who jumps. ;)

PS: More sig please. :D

Archived