Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Re-Plumbing on a 20 High

NewbieNanoReefer

NewbieNanoReefer

I Recently decided to re-plumb my 20H nano. I was tired of everything hanging off the back of the tank. So im setting up a closed loop using a scwd wave device. the tank has 1 - 3/4 bulkhead for the drain and 2 - 3/4 Bulkheads for the returns located at the top. The Drain will go down 3/4 PVC to a Spray Bar which will feed my 5 1/2 Gallon fuge, that will then drain into my 10 Gallon Sump, then back out to the main tank. The tank will have 50 LBS of Live Rock, and 40 Lbs of Arag Alive Sand. I have some shrooms on the rock now. Lighting i have planned currently is 130 Watts PC lighting with 2 NO 20 Watt Corallife 20K Bulbs.

I don't quite understand the plumbing you are doing but it sounds interesting.....

You can not use those copper fittings. Copper and reef tanks do not mix. Copper kills inverts! Change those to plastic fittings.

There's a reason why people use overflows to get water from their tank to their sump. Because, if the power goes out and the return pump isn't pumping, there's very little water that will drain to the sump before the system stops.

With your configuration, while it will work just fine when the power is on, I see a problem. With the drain that low, I foresee two problems if the power is cut.

First... if your sump isn't big enough to handle half a tank of water (when it's at operating level), you'll have a mess on your hands. Because half of your tank is going to drain into your sump when the power is cut.

Second... if the power is cut, half of your tank is going to drain to the sump. Leaving a half a tank of water in your nano. If you're like many of us, our rock and corals inhabit a good portion of the top half of our tanks.

Just some things to think about before you put this baby into production. On a good note, the work looks very clean.

John

NewbieNanoReefer

1st the fittings i am using are not copper, they are brass fittings so i dont see brass affecting the inverts, unless there is somthing that i dont know?

2nd I am looking at getting a APC Matrix or Rackmount APC which should be able to run a pump for a few hours. Most power outages in my area run a max downtime of 2-3 Hours.

Mike

Brass is composed of approximately 60 to 80 % copper, 4 to 32 % zinc, 2 to 8 % lead, s 6% tin, and trace amounts of iron, tin, and cadmium. :(

Change them to plastic...it's no big deal.

I see the design now! I had to think about it a bit. Xwhite is right about the design. You could solve the main tank draining problem by simply adding an overflow box.

NewbieNanoReefer

Brensaw: The back of the tanks is actually spray painted, not bad :)

Lizbeth: What a pain locating the correct fittings i needed, i need 1/2 MPT to 3/4 Barbed. I finally located them at petsolutions.com. I guess home depot and lowes doesnt carry such a item.

NewbieNanoReefer

Lizbeth: Overflow box, yes i do like that idea, but wet/dry filters.com charges way too much for one. Unless somone out there has plans or can build them cheap?

I know what you mean about finding the fittings. I had a terrible time plumbing the 40. I had to grind and modify all kinds of fittings.

Are those glued valves or threaded? 1/2 MPT to 3/4 Barbed are available. I found them online and I think my local HD and lowes might have them ......they are with all the little plumbing do hickies.

online;

http://www.depcopump.com/catalog106/PAGE54.PDF

Gotta take hubby to the airport..I'll check back in later.

NewbieNanoReefer

Lizbeth: Are you talking about the ball valves? those are pvc glued, i inserted a 1/2 MPT adaptor into them. I found what i needed at petsolutions.com. I thought i was going to be done by now LOL what a joke. I had to order the matching stand by all-glass but it was discontinued, so i got it online and paid the shipping. The canopy im having made unfinished because all-glass doesn't make a matching canopy. Now i have to order a overflow and a pay for my retrofit lighting, this is never going to end.

Archived