ReefCleaners.org

A question about molting...

Sharpie129

So I looked in my tank today and saw what I thought was a dead hermit, out of his shell... when I looked for the rest of them, all of the shells had hermits in them so I'm assuming it molted... I'll be picking up a couple of extra shells tomorrow but I was wondering (i know this is kinda a stupid question but...) should I take the molted part, fish it out and throw it away or should I just let it stay in there... would anything eat the molting etc...

mahi mahi boy

One of my herms was acting funny and hiding...he molted too. I took mine out.

Wal-mart sells shells, 30 pack for $3. I boiled them first. Now my herms are styling, they were using some run-down, dilapidated, algae invested snail shells...now look.

capture10182006102220pmdd1.jpg

From what I've read and from my experience (I've kept several tanks in the past that where just crabs, like fiddler crabs that are half land and half water), crabs in general will most likely eat their molted shell to regain the elements they lost when they got rid of their shell. Even if they leave them and decompose, it just re-releases those elements back into the water which is a good thing.

Even if they leave them and decompose, it just re-releases those elements back into the water which is a good thing.

I disagree with this statement. Nitrogen is a major constituent of chitin and more nitrogenous waste in the tank isn't desireable, IMO.

Chitin_fixed.png

I don't know about aquatic crabs eating their molts, I have only heard of land-walking crabs doing that.

I disagree with this statement. Nitrogen is a major constituent of chitin and more nitrogenous waste in the tank isn't desireable, IMO.

Chitin_fixed.png

I don't know about aquatic crabs eating their molts, I have only heard of land-walking crabs doing that.

Way to break out the organic chemistry Mr. Fosi... it reminds me that I should be heading to that class about 5 minutes ago... wont be the first time this stuff has made me late...

PS... I later went to take it out and I couldn't find it... at least I know for next time...

Chitin_fixed.png

Touché, I tip my hat to you. I guess then it is only land crabs that do it. I've always seen my fiddler crabs do it so I assumed the hermit crabs did it too. Anyways, I'm only up to orbital hybridization in college chemistry so cut me some slack :P:D .

I thought the same as seanfg89,maby its only crabs and not hermits that do that.My blue FW lobster thinks its another lobster an tries to fight it! I take it out,freeze it,grind it,vitamin juce it and turn it into sinkable cubes for the little guy.

You'll have a lot of fun with organic chem. :)

I thought it was loads more fun than the inorganic crap I had to do as a freshman/sophomore. Lab is better too: organic is more like cooking a great meal and inorganic is like following the microwave instructions, IMO.

I'm looking forward to organic chem, the only thing scaring me about it is that where I am, you have to remember ALL formulas, structures, properties and the like for ALL amino acids. Theres like 20 of those suckers :lol: .

Wow, that sounds great!

It wasn't that way at my alma mater (Penn State), we just had to know how electrons behave when C, H, O, N, and P were involved. Which bonds hybridize, when it'll be a cis or trans 2x bond, etc...

Jesus tap dancing christ, I'M AT PENN STATE! In bio we went over RNA transcription and translation the other day and the professor pulled up the table of amino acids so we could work out some problems dealing with polarity and Sickle Cell Anemia in class. She told us we wouldn't have to memorize them for bio, they would provide it but if we take Oragnic Chemistry then we would have memorize all of them.

Yeah, I'm at University Park. It is so flipping cold right now and to top it off, its raining, so I get to go to class cold and wet. Don't you just love college? :P Its cool to see you also went to Penn State, albeit not the same campus but the same university.

The PennState names opens doors. I was suprised how well known and liked it is.

You chose a good school. Both the great education and the name will help you no matter what you choose to do after your undergrad.

Archived