Cultivated Reef

Doing some research

threeman33

Well I have a 10 gal tank that I have around that is empty. The tank is from my freshwater tank and I moved up to a 55 gal, so they have been empty for a while. I have been wanting a saltwater tank but first decided to start of in the freshwater side of things. I have been researching various saltwater setups and I think the nano is what I am looking for.

My main goal is to have one clownfish. This basically all I want in the tank. After reading some of the threads, books, and magazines I feel as if I will need some cleaner shrimp.

First off I plan on using most of my old stuff since it was only used for a few months. I plan on putting in some LS as well as some LR in the tank to aid in the filtration. I am also wanting to use my penguin 125. Will this be enough? I am sure I will need a small powerhead for circulation but when I had it for freshwater the tank was stirred up pretty well. Will a powerhead be really nessasary?

If there is anything else that I am forgetting and you think I should need let me know. As I said I am still doing the research and want to make sure I know enough information before I go to the LFS and have them tell me I need things I won't need.

assuming you don't want to put any corals in, you should be fine with that setup.. assuming one thing.. you didn't use copper-based medications when it was a freshwater tank..

You don't NEED a cleaner shrimp.. but you'll want some snails (and maybe a few hermits) to keep algae and detrius under control..

The flow from the filter may be enough as well.. you don't need a lot of flow for a Fish Only With Live Rock (FOWLR)

You may say now like I did when I first started all I want is a clownfish, but believe me, that will change. Your tank will all of a sudden be boring to look at and you will notice how others peoples tanks look so much better. Starting FOWLR is a good idea, but dont fool yourself into thinkin that all you want. Its good you are doing research on all this. I think you will find though that a clown will be happier with something to host to. Good luck.

Ok the more I think about it the more your right. In the long run I may want more than fish only. What about corals? After I posted, I started looking about everyone's lights. The light I got with the aquarium is a single floresent bulb. I started looking online and saw that if I were to buy a larger light for that tank it would be well over a $100! The fish only tank should be ok with the light I have right? How about if I do plan ahead and want to do corals with fish? What can I do about the light? And if I want corals what else you you suggest I need?

Thanks for all your help

Archived