Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Ways to chill a pico

Jamie

Over the past three or four months I have been keeping a coldwater aquarium in my basement (to keep it cold). It started in an aga 2.5 then upgraded to a ten. Unfortunately I was neglecting it because it was in my basement, so one day my parents went to the beach and let "everything" go for me. For some reason they didn't let everything go though, so I decided to downgrade to a 2.5 again. My question is, is there a way to keep a tank cold without a chiller? I know If I leave this tank in the basement it will just get neglected again so that is not an option. If any one has ideas input is appreciated.

would fans be enough to keep it at 60 degrees?

nope.....fans will only cool it down maybe 5° if your lucky......

if you want to keep the coldwater tank it sounds like you need a chiller

dude scold your parents. don't release the contents of your tank in the wild -_-

and if you're having that many problems keeping it cool and will neglect it if you once again put it in the basement (since you can't seem to keep it cool anyway), just sell the remaining contents of your tank on the forum.

if you really want that tank, then try a frozen water bottle in a ac filter or something -_-

I am pretty sure releasing foreign animals into the wild is illegal, and many animals can become invasive species over time. Why dont you just start a normal temp. pico.

They aren't foriegn animals, I caught them myself ;) . I just don't want to buy I chiller because this can't cost very much. I am in the middle of a science fair project involving zoanthids that is gettinq pretty expensive. Anyway, I had the idea of having a mini-fridge drilled with holes for piping to go in. you could adjust the temp of the tank by how much piping was in the fridge.

yeh, I looked into that, but for it to be truly effective you need titanium piping, which is very expensive and really hard to find, just get a ICA nano chiller I think they are only $50 not to bad. there are also some DIY peltier chillers in the DIY forum for under $50.

you can do the whole frozen bottled water deal, but you gotta be dedicated to do it......

im talkin like 10+ bottles in the freezer....

changing them every 2-3 hours like clockwork, depending on how much your temp swings......

even that only gives up maybe 5° depending on tank size

im thinkin doin it that way...

youll give up in about 2 weeks if you last that long and let everything go.....

If the chillers are only 50 bucks i could get one. My parents are still set on the idea of getting rid of this tank though so i'll have to see if I get to keep it before I buy anything.

Archived