Coral Vue Hydros

5.5 gal or 10gal

directional

I want to make a mini reef tank I have no reef exp and a little over a year with sw.

I have been reading for a couple of months now about reef tanks so I have some sort of an idea.

I want to make a 5.5 gal or a 10 gal tank... To keep some good looking noob corals.. Zoo's and Mushrooms etc..

I have an AC30 that I can use for a fuge ( which I can use more information on how you guys did it )

I dont know where I can purchase a 5.5 gal aga tank like you guys did. Do you guys have links or anything of the sort?

I can get a 10gal from Walmart for $9.99 ... .

Which lighting should i use for these types of corals I dont have a ton of money to spend on this and I dont mind doing DIY stuff...

Lets get some advice going :)

I am leaning twoards a 5.5gal for space and money reasons and it would look good on my computer desk... What can I keep in there a gobie?

5.5g are almost always more expensive. They are also more prone to quick shifts in parameters.

I have a 5.5g (link in my signature), but I would have started a 10G if I would have had the $$.

Okay so now that I know where I can get the tank..

What lighting would be good for Zoo's and Shrooms . .. and the noob corals

Is there anyway I can make my own one? If so how much would it be any links wattage etc?

Argent .. for some reason your links arn't loading in your post.. it says IDB Image instead of your pics.

I keep shrooms and zoas in my 5.5g with 26W of 50/50 PC, but I would rather have 50W or more. The reason for this is because my livestock can be seen reaching for the light in almost all cases.

I keep shrooms and zoas in my 5.5g with 26W of 50/50 PC, but I would rather have 50W or more. The reason for this is because my livestock can be seen reaching for the light in almost all cases.

What about a 10gal with approx 96watt light? What would that be able to keep?

I don't think anything is overkill, I can't wait to get a 150w MH over my 10g I am thinking about a 35wMH for my 1.6 is I can find a cheap one.

IMO you should go with the 10g and do the 96W light on it. I had a 5.5gal with 65W on it and liked it a lot but there was not as much room.

I have a 10gal and still use the 65W light but I am planning on getting a MH of at least 70W on it in the future.

There is a link in my signature for my 5.5gal and it shows somewhat of how I modded the AC50 into a fuge I just dont have the light for it yet. So I am keeping the cheato in a soap dish.

You should get the most light you can afford as that is going to be the thing that limits you more than anything as far as coral selection goes.

Okay so now that I know where I can get the tank..

What lighting would be good for Zoo's and Shrooms . .. and the noob corals

Is there anyway I can make my own one? If so how much would it be any links wattage etc?

Argent .. for some reason your links arn't loading in your post.. it says IDB Image instead of your pics.

I have an AGA mini-bow (acrylic) 5 gallon reef that has several types of mushroom coral living in it. I'm only using a Coralife 50/50 mini-PC 20 watt screw-in bulb, and everything is doing ok so far. I've had it running for almost 3 months. Check out the link in my signature if you want more details.

I have an AGA mini-bow (acrylic) 5 gallon reef that has several types of mushroom coral living in it. I'm only using a Coralife 50/50 mini-PC 20 watt screw-in bulb, and everything is doing ok so far. I've had it running for almost 3 months. Check out the link in my signature if you want more details.

Can you link to the light you are talking about?

Quote-"Each 10W compact fluorescent bulb shines as bright as a 50W incandescent for an easy way to upgrade lighting conditions."

It's a 10W bulb. Not good enough for a reef IMO.

Does the 65watt light come in a size that will fit on the 5.5gal ? ?? What are the measurements isnt it 12" ?

Would this light be good for a 5.5 ?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod...p;N=2004+113346

I notice it says shines as bright as a 50w is this infact 50w?

Did you try the "Petsmart - 20 watt Coralife Bulb" link I posted yesterday? It goes straight to the Coralife 20 watt bulb on the Petsmart.com website. Just click on the drop down menu that says "Power/Size", and it's there. Trust me, the Coralife 20 watt bulb is a lot better than the 10 watt bulb and it's a good money saver on the electric bill. The 20 watt works well in a 5 or 5.5 gallon if you're only putting mushrooms in there. Check out my tank if you want proof.

FYI, don't even bother considering incandescent light wattage when you're buying lighting for a reef. Incandescent light has the wrong kind of spectrum and it doesn't have the same intensity as VHO, PC, T5-HO fluorescent etc.

If you stick to fluorescent wattage numbers, your reef will do better and should thrive.

Did you try the "Petsmart - 20 watt Coralife Bulb" link I posted yesterday? It goes straight to the Coralife 20 watt bulb on the Petsmart.com website. Just click on the drop down menu that says "Power/Size", and it's there. Trust me, the Coralife 20 watt bulb is a lot better than the 10 watt bulb and it's a good money saver on the electric bill. The 20 watt works well in a 5 or 5.5 gallon if you're only putting mushrooms in there. Check out my tank if you want proof.

FYI, don't even bother considering incandescent light wattage when you're buying lighting for a reef. Incandescent light has the wrong kind of spectrum and it doesn't have the same intensity as VHO, PC, T5-HO fluorescent etc.

If you stick to fluorescent wattage numbers, your reef will do better and should thrive.

Yeah I checked out your tank but I didnt see any type of Zoos thas what got me a little worried.. Your tank looks nice but what else uses just as much light as mushrooms ? I dont know much about lighting in reef tanks.

So I would be able to Keep Mushrooms / Zoo's and what else?

I am just trying to explore all of my options before I jump in the game.

Would I also be able to rig up some sort of hoop type fixture where I can run two of those screw in lights to make a total of 40w?

Yeah I checked out your tank but I didnt see any type of Zoos thas what got me a little worried.. Your tank looks nice but what else uses just as much light as mushrooms ? I dont know much about lighting in reef tanks.

So I would be able to Keep Mushrooms / Zoo's and what else?

I am just trying to explore all of my options before I jump in the game.

Yeah, my tank is made specifically for mushrooms. I set up my lighting on the low side at 4 watts of fluorescent light per a gallon because it fit my budget and it is easier on my electric bill.

Quite honestly, I went for the most economical approach towards keeping a nano reef. You can basically almost have whatever you want if you have done enough research. If I were you I would try to set up the tank to handle almost any kind of coral, including soft coral. In your case, I would go for 10 watts per a gallon or higher if you're willing to spend more money on lighting. You just have to be aware that with more light there will also be more heat, especially in a 5.5 gallon setup. You have to figure out a way to keep your temperature stable.

All of my posts are only suggestions. A lot of the information I have gathered about nano reefs not only came from this website, I also got it from books and internet searches.

I have been doing internet research as well. and I am looking to make an economical reef also. I already have a 55gal FOWLR that has taken alot of my money :) This is just a side project to show people that you really can have a small s/w tank.

I like how yours is the bowshape and all you had to do was screw in the bulb you used.

Would I also be able to rig up some sort of hoop type fixture where I can run two of those screw in lights to make a total of 40w?

I remember seeing a double screw in hood fixture that can handle 2 Coralife 20 watt bulbs on Drs. Foster and Smiths' website. I think this would be good enough to take care of zoanthids, mushrooms and maybe other corals too in a 5.5 gallon. The only drawback is that it's designed for a 10 gallon tank that is approximately 20 inches long. Check it out this link.

AGA Full Hood

I have been doing internet research as well. and I am looking to make an economical reef also. I already have a 55gal FOWLR that has taken alot of my money :) This is just a side project to show people that you really can have a small s/w tank.

I like how yours is the bowshape and all you had to do was screw in the bulb you used.

Thanks. I'm sure you can come up with something that will work well for what you want to keep in there. Small reefs are a little challenging to maintain, but not very hard at all.

I also forgot to mention that I used to keep zoanthids in my reef when I first started, but I took them out and returned them after I heard about how toxic they can be. They were doing well and they opened up fully while they were still in my 5 gallon tank. It seemed like the 20 watt light was enough... but it's not an ideal amount of light at all for zoanthids now that I think about it.

Archived