Top Shelf Aquatics

can skunk cleaner shrimp transmit disease to fish?

Capt_Nemo

Hello everyone,

I have been wanting a pair of Skunk cleaner shrimps for my 10 gallons tank. There is a pair of true perc and two hermit crab in there so far. There will be no more inverts or fish add to the system after these shrimps. My only concern is that do shrimp transmit disease to fish?. I am not going to put the shrimp in quarantine or anything like that. I will just buy them and put them in the tank after acclimation. I really worry that when i put the shrimps in the tank, it will brings with it diseases from outside into my tank and kill my clowns.

I used to have a pair of gold stripe maroon, after adding another damsel into the tank, my clowns ended up getting the disease from the damsel. Needless to say, all three of them ended up dead. It took me so long to restart this tank. That's why i am really worry when adding another fish or invert into the tank.

If anyone know the answer to this, please let me know..

thanks in advance.

I"ve read that they can be excellent hosts for ich and such. They would carry the disease, but never show any signs of it. I haven't experienced this personally, just read it..

In FW I have gotten ich and somtimes worms on my fish from snails and lobsters.Ask youre LFS manager or VERY EXPIERENCED aquarist about the inverts history.But I quarentien ALL my new inverts and pre-treat them,but I dont have any SW shrimp.

Archived