Coral Vue Hydros

What I've learned ...

Masoch

Hi guys,

I started my tank in late November. Since then, I've learned a boat-load ... and I just thought I'd jot some of it down on the off chance it helps someone.

1.) In reefkeeping, for every opinion, there is an equal, opposite opinion. The only bona fide rock-solid exception I can think of is that LR + sand bed = good. How much and how deep are different discussions entirely. Additionally, if you read enough and spend a lot of time online, you will find so many different opinions that you will get confused. At some point, you have to jump in and figure out what works best for yourself.

2.) Crabs are great scavengers. They're also pretty good at eating snails and being mean little bastards. Next tank, fewer hermits and more snails.

3.) Next time, I'm starting off with a broader mix of snails. The common astrea snails I started off with are quite hungry, but picky about what they eat; they left much gunk untouched. They also have a tendency to fall and not get up. I've lost a few along the way (crabs + no particular reason). I now have a few each of: astrea; nerite; cerith; margarita; nassarius. This combination will eat pretty much anything. In fact, I could probably trade some of my crabs. If I could catch 'em.

4.) If you're going to use a skimmer, use a decent one. I got a SeaClone for cheap, but even cheap it was a waste of money.

5.) Macro algae has a place in my tank. Macros 1 and 2 have done wonders cleaning up my tank. And they look cool.

6.) LFSs exist to sell you stuff, not make sure your tank succeeds.

7.) Online communities are great sources of information, but you gotta remember that the loudest voices are sometimes the ones hardest at work pushing their own opinions ... not finding out what's best for you.

8.) DIYing is fun, even if it doesn't always save you $$$.

9.) Clowns will eat anything.

10.) Royal grammas will find the weirdest, most unlikely tunnels in your rockwork.

And that's it so far. I'm still a noob, after all ;)

Thanks for the help!

you quoting :-

"If you're going to use a skimmer, use a decent one. I got a SeaClone for cheap, but even cheap it was a waste of money."

ehmmm, yep, i'll go with that, but are you saying seaclone's are crap then !!! :D :D :D

cheers,

lee

:) :) :) :)

I had a friend who started up a nano. First thing I said was, buy a CPR Bakpak. He buys a Seaclone. A few weeks later, he says to me, "I should've just paid the money and bought a Bakpak."

Not saying the Bakpak is the best skimmer out there. But, at the time it was the best HOB skimmer I knew about. In reefkeeping, sometimes you just have to pay the man to get what your tank needs. :)

John

I replaced my SeaClone with a Prizm Deluxe (Prizm + surface skimmer and media basket in the outflow). It pulled more crap out of my aquarium in an hour than the SeaClone did in a day. It's noisy, but what the hell; I run it on a timer with the lights.

Next time, I think I might just use a refugium and macro ... ahhh ... next time ...

Archived