SaltCritters.com

Sexy shrimp in Toronto - at last! In-tank pico?

non-photosynt

non-photosynt

Lucky me - the first time found the sexy shrimps in Toronto (BA at Steeles, bought both, of course, no more there now).

They are so small, that I'm afraid to put them in any of the tanks, they will be lost for an observations, compatibility issues too.

So far they are in the floating acrylic breeder's box, bare bottom, with 2 kinds of red algae (at least one is edible for a fish), small piece of LR to hide and white xenia frag. For a feeding I placed smallest shaves of seafood and small parts of mysis. Flow through very narrow gaps in the side walls. The box is floating in the 5g refugium with chaeto, connected to 20L tank, so stability will be not a problem, also it doesn't require the separate heater and water flow.

Do you know about any other options, other than this and setting a separate pico, for their convenient keeping?

I like connection to the other tank - no separate maintaining of water chemistry, temperature too.

I had read that they do better in the tank with some corals, even eat some. Breeder box has not much horizontal space - the palm size, so what kind of corals is better to put there? Better for the shimps comfort: as a landscape and, possibly, food supplements.

Xenia, red mushrooms, yellow polyps, brown or green star polyps, anthelia. Small purple zoas and capnella are either of the odd shape, either too big.

From algae I have: halimeda, grape caulerpa, chaeto, red fern kelp, gracillaria (this red fuzzy edible one), purple ochtodes (edible for a fish too).

Would like to make a resort life for these shrimps.

Advice, please?

They should be fine in your breeder box. I have my three in a small containment inside my 20 long untill there new 2.5 gallon pico is ready for them. I have heard that they will pick on and eat zoos, but mine have not touched any.

Lucky me - the first time found the sexy shrimps in Toronto (BA at Steeles, bought both, of course, no more there now).

They are so small, that I'm afraid to put them in any of the tanks, they will be lost for an observations, compatibility issues too.

So far they are in the floating acrylic breeder's box, bare bottom, with 2 kinds of red algae (at least one is edible for a fish), small piece of LR to hide and white xenia frag. For a feeding I placed smallest shaves of seafood and small parts of mysis. Flow through very narrow gaps in the side walls. The box is floating in the 5g refugium with chaeto, connected to 20L tank, so stability will be not a problem, also it doesn't require the separate heater and water flow.

Do you know about any other options, other than this and setting a separate pico, for their convenient keeping?

I like connection to the other tank - no separate maintaining of water chemistry, temperature too.

I had read that they do better in the tank with some corals, even eat some. Breeder box has not much horizontal space - the palm size, so what kind of corals is better to put there? Better for the shimps comfort: as a landscape and, possibly, food supplements.

Xenia, red mushrooms, yellow polyps, brown or green star polyps, anthelia. Small purple zoas and capnella are either of the odd shape, either too big.

From algae I have: halimeda, grape caulerpa, chaeto, red fern kelp, gracillaria (this red fuzzy edible one), purple ochtodes (edible for a fish too).

Would like to make a resort life for these shrimps.

Advice, please?

the sexy shrimp are anemone shrimp and enjoy anemone mucus. the ones i have are always on my porcillapora coral or my zoos. you can keep them in a tank with non agressive fish, the small gobies (rainfordi's, neon clown...) seem to avioid them and leave them alone. anything larger than that may see them as food.

they will breed in captivity if you were lucky enough to get a male and a female. the females are usually slightly larger than the males and will carry the eggs below their thorax. if you see eggs and want to try and save them the best thing to do is place the female shrimp in a small tank with an air wand and large quantities of algae suplimented with phytoplankton and microplankton. the larvae are free swimming when hatched and take a few weeks to reach adult size.

non-photosynt

Thank you for the detailed reply!

Eggs: I barely see the eyes of the shrimps, may be they are young (if straight, 1/2" or 13mm long), seems to be the couple (were kept in a separate pico in big tank in LFS, one is more robust than the slim other).

I have anemone and porcillopora, the pity is I just set a week ago the new 20g long tank for them and other high light invertebrates. With crabs, hermits, scooter blenny, baby maxima and bristle worms. Have to rethink all combination again. :(

So, anemone and porcillopora for a mucus. What algae is preferable?

Does anybody knows link to the pico, connected to the bigger tank for the water temperatire and stability?

From my not so big experience, even smallest micro-pump, pumping from main tank to the pico, will be too much (if pico is around 1g). And another thing, on the photo below is my not good looking solution for the tanks heights difference:

Any better solution?

Sexy shrimps quarters now (shrimps are barely seen in the lower right corner):

Both (pardon the quality):

Female? This is the only way I can see them - on the magnified photo:

More opinions, please.

• 4 weeks later...
non-photosynt
have you tried northamerican fish breeder midland and kingston road they have some crazy stuff and cheap

No, does TTC goes there and what is their schedule?

What do they have - corals, fish (how many insulated bags to take)? :D

Do you know any other good LFS here?

non-photosynt

Was there today - the richest collection of invertebrates, including sexy shrimp, harlequin shrimp, 6 kinds of colorful sea slugs, tube anemones (not of fluorescent colors), cowry (?) snails, yellow anemones like carpet, only at modest price. Some obligatory feeders, like flatworms eating nudibranch, Chromodoris magnifica and harlequin shrimp, beware!

Robip, if you are here - sexy shrimps seems are always there.

Bought (without knowing it) the obligatory sponge feeder, Chromodoris magnifica. This was not an impulse buying - I can't waste one more half-day in transit visiting them. And a cowry.

BTW, they open at 11AM, as most family owned stores are, Saturday and Sunday too. Well worth to visit - rooms of glass and light, shallow convenient tanks with frags - most reasonable organized. Better looking than some public aquariums that I had seen.

the sexy shrimp are anemone shrimp and enjoy anemone mucus. the ones i have are always on my porcillapora coral or my zoos. you can keep them in a tank with non agressive fish, the small gobies (rainfordi's, neon clown...) seem to avioid them and leave them alone. anything larger than that may see them as food.

they will breed in captivity if you were lucky enough to get a male and a female. the females are usually slightly larger than the males and will carry the eggs below their thorax. if you see eggs and want to try and save them the best thing to do is place the female shrimp in a small tank with an air wand and large quantities of algae suplimented with phytoplankton and microplankton. the larvae are free swimming when hatched and take a few weeks to reach adult size.

Have you successfully reared sexies?

Nice magnified pic, btw.

Archived