Cultivated Reef

Mantis Shrimp

djchristone

haha indeed. i added a damsel today to see if he would go after it. lol.

i released the yellowtailed damsel close to his main hole. he came out to chase it but alas, the damsel was too fast...lol

but then...the damsel went into the very large opening behind the tank and crawled into Sano's tunnel...-_- Sano, my mantis, just stared at him...-_- but then again, i had given him a peppermint shrimp that died on the way home...:)

solid, another mantis shrimp owner! try to get a look at the meral spots on its raporital appendages (bashers) and we can then identify the specie from that. You cant classify them by their body color, cause often they will change color when they molt to fit their surroundings.

haha indeed. i added a damsel today to see if he would go after it. lol.

i released the yellowtailed damsel close to his main hole. he came out to chase it but alas, the damsel was too fast...lol

but then...the damsel went into the very large opening behind the tank and crawled into Sano's tunnel...-_- Sano, my mantis, just stared at him...-_- but then again, i had given him a peppermint shrimp that died on the way home...:)

My damsel lasted almost a month before the mantis finally got him. i'm looking to get another, but the only place that has damsels on the cheap is deathco but their fish quality is really poor with the current stock they have

For now, he's eating snails, fresh shrimp and Rod's Food

sandlot, ah i didn't id him from his color completely but rather his "iridescent blue patch on first maxilliped". there's only 2 on dr. roy's list and the 2nd has blue spots on his back meaning i have the other one meaning i have a Haptosquilla stoliura :)

yankeereefer, hm...i agree. petco has cheap damsels...although i did manage to find one at 4.98 at the lfs...not too bad...:)

Haptosquilla solitura is a "smashing" mantis. This means it likes hard-bodied prey like clams, crabs, shrimp etc. They don't really go for fish, but if you crowd a fish in there, it may kill it because they are territorial. And it probably won't say no to a dead fish, but it's not their natural diet.

"Spearing" mantis are the fish-killers and a lot less common.

yes yes i know ;) i researched plenty rene :) but i'm wondering how it would react to a damsel considering pretty much all it's eaten so far is silver sides , a small peppermint shrimp, and a small hermit :)

hm...question...

i brought the krill i had at home to my dorm to swtich the mantis over to the krill since that would generally follow his normal diet better...but uh...he's not taking it.

well ok he does but then he spits it right back out of his hole leaving it for the damsel and the hermits...i know switching fish over to different foods is hard but this is a bit ridiculous over how obsessed he is with silverside -_- any suggestions?

Archived