Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Decorator and Arrow Crabs

newguy

I was at my local fish store the other day and saw these two guys in one of their tanks and thought they looked pretty neat. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with them, and how either one would fare in a 10G nano.

Can't really find much info on these guys (don't know where to look X) ). Thanks for the replies.

I agree that they are cool looking crabs, but I would not recommend for a nano. They can grow up to six inches, and although they are generally peaceful to other tank mates, they have been known to bother smaller crabs and occasionally spear smaller fish.

I banished a decorator crab to my fish only tank within the first couple days of putting it a reef. It liked to decorate itself with my coral, it would cut apart or rip apart any coral it could find and stick it on it's back. It still has a couple zoo's living on it's back from when I first got it (don't know how they are still living with the light that is on that tank). My opinion would be not to get a decorator. I have no personal expierience with the arrow but would suggest to stay clear as well.

Oh yeah, another strange thing about the zoo's still living on the crabs back, I have dosed that tank with copper based ick medication many times, even with the crab in it and they are both still living (crab and zoo's) as well as well as a small shroom that was on an algae covered piece of LR from a reef tank that I threw in the fish only for the crab to snack on. Just seems wierd the amount of copper dosed in that tank and how the corals and crab are thriving and with minimal lighting. DON"T TRY TO DOSE YOUR REEF WITH COPPER! I was just stateing a strange occurance that has happened to me but do not suggest you try it in any way shape or form.

Archived