Top Shelf Aquatics

Any Fuge Builders?

stonepran

Welp, I'm looking to place a 8-10gal fuge in the base of my stand... I'd like to have 3 chambers, and a 1" in for the drain. I'm not much of a DIY type of person, anyone here by chance build fuges for sale? I'd be happy to pay someone for the materials and time to build one, not sure if anyone here does that sort of thing but why not ask?

:)

thanks!

Theres a guy on ebay that goes by arcrylicity, that makes & sells

fuges. He sells basic 12" and 18" fuges similair to CPRs. But he will also make pretty much anything acrylic to your specs. A few on this board have used his products. I have ordered one, and should be receiving it next week.

Edit: Just an update, I received the fuge, it is up and running and of good quality. The guy who made it, actually found us, he is on this board by the name of "fuge guy". He was very pleasant and helpful to deal with and his product is first rate.

i could build one out of glass, but you will have to wait a couple weeks as I just had hand surgery on my dominant hand (this message is brought to you by hunt and peck methods)

I like building them, skimmers, mud filters, dsb's, etc.

Which ones have design flaws? He has plenty of different designs. Most of them seem to be based on a very simple design like the CPR fuges.

I'm interested because I'm thinking of making (or having one made) for my newly acquired 12 hex. Any specifics about features to watch out for would be appreciated.

onthefly bought the skimmer/fugew combo, and while the gentleman may know how to join plexi/acrylic, he knows less about making functional fuges. The baffle after the skimmer is too far above the outlet pipe, so there is a waterfall in his fuge...making tons of bubbles when the skimmer isnt even on. When the skimmer is being fed air, it produces a bubble storm in the tank. The fuge onthefly had requested was for a 7bow, yet the guy sent him a unit with piping reaching too deep into the tank for a nano. It's a big ugly mess. Dont believe me?? Go look at onthefly's posts. The guy just needs a crash course in water mechancs. If the power should go out, onthefly's tank looks as though it will overflow as well. I know how to make fuges better, and I just use glass and what logic about water has tought me.

stevearthur

why not just buy a glass tank and sylicone in glass baffles? Thats what I will be doing in two weeks when I setup my tank.

A hang on the back fuge is kind of nice because you don't have to worry about drilling or building an overflow. Plus, if you've already got an established tank, you don't have to tear the whole thing down to include a fuge.

Wasn't me......it was Beernut's who had the problems with his custom fuge/skimmer.

I think he got (unfortunately) EXACTLY what he ordered. I thought the the design looked ok (the inlet/outlet seemed a bit low), but I think he (Beernut's) wasn't using a big enough PH to drive it so it was creating the waterfall.

Depending on the water volume in the fuge above the outlet, and depending on how full beernuts keeps his main tank, you're right, it could flood.......alittle (if there is such a thing as a little flood!)

oops, sorry, thanks for the correction.

But about the design, what you suggest is not entirely correct onthefly. The flow rate through the fuge shouldnt matter, as the waterfall would exist anyways, unless, and the solution is: the outlet needs to be moved higher so the fuge's water line is kept higher all around. The inlet and outlet pipes need to be shortened to keep the venturi at a minimum, as well as enable the fuge to be placed at a level closer to that of the main tank. those mods are just a couple of the improvements I can see.

as onthefly mention beernut got what he ordered i send him some pics before i mail-it and it was ok whit him i also told him that this desing of skim/fuge was not made to work well in the 12" but for the 24"

and for you wetworx101 you said that i was unable to make refugiums but just to glued plexi, take a look at my feedback,my refugiums are like cpr minus the $$$

You're always going to have a waterfall.....the fuge is above the tank for pete's sake! I think that if the waterline is above the fuge outlet (i.e. you have a big enough PH to drive the water "slightly" above the outlet), there will be no "bubbles" in the returning water. That was the complaint by Beernuts.....the jaccuzi effect. However, I think he was under pumping the fuge, therefore, the water level was right at the overflow and sucking air into the waterfall.

I don't know, am I way off here?

fuge guy is here!!

first I must apoligize then, after all, he did get what he paid for. But your fuges are not to CPR spec. CPR doesnt make a skimmer/fuge combo, and if they did it would have to have it's water flow maintained differently for a nano. If the outlet end of the fuge was made higher, it would be the level maintainer for the skimmer and the fuge (not the baffle), and the waterfall from the baffle would go away. Even better then, small holes could be drilled in the baffle to prevent even more surface agitation...as long as it doesn't alow microbubbles to enter the fuge. But I can see where you are coming from. It seems you combined some good ideas, and they may work well on bigger tanks, and since you have met our comments with a good post, I will not be critical of your skill...but there is always room for improvement. Heck, I've built three prototypes for the fuges I built, each time thinking I had it perfect...and then another idea came along...

And no, onthefly, you wont always get a waterfall. Yes, the fuges surface line needs to be brought down some...closer to that of the main tank, as well as the intake and outlet pipes cut down to allow for mounting on a nano. Any longer and that intake pipe would end up as a gravel vac!!

Maybe I could simply post some of the fuge specs from the glass ones I've built, and then all could build ones designed for nanos, heck, maybe fuge guy would like to use the plans to make plexi versions if some nano-reefers here were interested.

Hey Worx,

I remember the plans you post to my previous thread. In fact, that has lead me to start designing my one 10ga fuge. I totally see where you're coming from now with regard to the baffle!!!! If it is "waterfalling" over the baffel into the outlet compartment, you're guaranteed to get a jaccuzi!!!!

your right cpr dont make fuge combo but my refugium are like cpr fuge and as you said there is always room for improvement

as for your fuge spec send it to me i will be happy to make one and i will send you some pics

thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, nice to see that there's a custom acrylic fuge guy here.

I want to hang a nice acrylic fuge on the back of a Clear-for-Life 10gallon Desktop Cube aquarium. Doesn't look like CPR's smallest AquaFuge will fit.

Looks like I'll be PMing Fuge Guy after I figure out what the heck I'm doing. (Yes, I'm a n00b)

-Ed

Archived