Cultivated Reef

Lighting Cycle when Cycling

Goliath

Reefers,

I am in the process of cycling my tank, I just got the LR and LS and all is well so far. My concern is the outbreak of algea, not the great lovable macro algea but the wicked step brother kind. When in the process of getting all my levels normal, should I have my lights on their normal 12/12 cycle or should I keep them off as much as possible to save on possible algea growth?

Jeremy

BTW, I heard your words Xavier and I am not going behind your back, just want others opinions.

Peace

Jeremy

Let's see who I side with.....

Personally I think you are going to get some algae no matter what you do with the lights. It's part of the cycle. I don't think you need to do 12/12 for the cycle, heck my lights are not on that long now. I'd light it for 6-8 hours for now with the light cycle going into the evening when you are home. That way you can stare at the tank for hours in the evening being amazed at all you see. And if there is anything on the rock that needs light you won't be depriving it completely.

Brianc, I already recommend to Goliath to do water changes during the cycle if the ammonia gets too high. I do way more than what you suggested in your other post. I go through lots of water during the cycling period. I've had very good luck doing my "soft cycling".

Uuhhhh, didn't mean to be repetitive lizbeth. I thought I was agreeing with you on the lights. I did not see any mention of water changes during cycle in this thread, and was trying to point him in the right direction. I don't keep track of your conversations with Goliath.

And if you do "way more than what I suggested" then thats great. Very informative. I've never seen someone get defensive about a person agreeing with them.??? ?

Don't know what you mean by the "wicked step brother kind" but during the initial "break in" period, you will usually get a massive Diatom bloom that is usually brown but will also be a green sometimes. This is very normal regardless of your lighting period (which is fine to keep going). In a month or so the Diatoms will fade away and the "break in" period will move into the next stage. Again, this is assuming they are Diatoms, considering the step brother thing and no pictures.

Archived