inTank Media Baskets

My Via Aaqua Has a Hole In It...

littlec

Tank

LinkPhoto?GUID=3d365c1b-4c27-6a97-4216-3c2f493f2720&size=lg

Tank, Stand, and Sump

LinkPhoto?GUID=443e4153-6250-48c0-159c-2293446b6552&size=lg

Overflow Box with Stockman Standpipe and return with SCWD wavemaker (difficult to see, but it splits the return hose out to the two hoses leading into the tank)

LinkPhoto?GUID=349b5bd1-5c7b-4016-14e3-26e953217dcd&size=lg

Some of you may remember that I planned to have my 18G Via Aqua drilled for an internal overflow to a 5 gallon sump. Well, the tank is now live. The tank was drilled on the bottom for a 1" bulkhead and I made a 4" (square) center overflow for the tank from black acrylic. The back of the tank was painted black and voila! (Tank drilling cost $10 at Totally Fish in Silver Spring, overflow box cost $10 including WeldOn solvent)

I set the tank up on February 21st and stocked it with approx. 40lbs of LR (25-30 in tank, 10-15 in sump), 15lbs LS and 5 gallons of water from my 100G that was planning to take down. Approximately 7-8 days later (after water tests checked out okay) I added the livestock that currently inhabits the nano (Also from my 100G tank) and now, two weeks later I feel comfortable judging the tank an early success.

Calvin

------------------------------------

Tank Specs:

18Gallon Via Aqua Tank

2x36 Watt PC (stock) - one 10K bulb and one Actinic - I used the two-plug lighting modification to enable dusk-dawn lighting (but that is another story for another post)

Aquaclear 802 powerhead connected to SCWD for return from sump to tank

Livestock:

Clarkii Clown

Six Line Wrasse

Coral Banded Shrimp

7 Ricordia (some splitting, others with 2-3 mouths)

Pink Fungia/Plate Coral

Mithrax Crab

Feather Duster

2 Fighting Conches

3 Scarlet Leg Hermit Crabs

I would love to find out how you setup the ballast to have control of both lights in the hood. I also have the Via Aqua setup with the stock hood and I would love to modify it to have the dawn and dusk. Can you lead me in the right direction?

Jeremy

P.S. Your tank is looking amazing!!

Goliath,

Thanks to sandsrfr the ballast re-wiring instructions can be found here:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...=&threadid=7132

Since you brought it up... I harbor a little reqret for having done the ballast re-wiring. The re-wiring itself worked FLAWLESSLY, however the problem I have to confront now is that the ballast itself may be defective. Basically, prior to and immediately after the re-wiring, everything worked fine -- the lights came on whenever I flipped the switch or (after the re-wire) whenver the timer told it turn on/off.

A few days ago I noticed that the lights weren't on when they should have been (according to the schedule I set the timer to). I tried everything but nothing happened. I manually turned the timer on; I turned the ballas switch on & off; I unplugged the cord and plugged it directly into the wall socket -- Nothing. Then, a couple of hours later I came back and flipped the switch off and on and the lights came on.

Now this has developed into a definite pattern. I have to manually turn on the first light, wait about 45-60 minutes then turn the switch off and back on for one of the lights (in this case, my actinics) to come on. The daylight (which obviously gets turned on after the actinic) seems to fire up on the first try when I go to turn it on a couple of hours later. It almost seems like the ballast has to "warm up" or something.

My regret is that, clearly, I have "voided my warranty" since I made these modifications and consequently I can't seek any recourse through the LFS where I bought the tank or even directly with Via Aqua. So my choice seems to be live with the defect or buy a new light.

I realize this is probably more than you bargained for but, as I said, the story of the lights was probably best suited for another post on another day.

I just got my Via Aqua. Filled it up tonight. But, while working on it, I saw that it had that plastic thingy siliconed to the corner in the back on the left side. I was trying to figure out what the heck that could possibly be used for.

Then I ripped it out. But, I see you still have it. Have you figured out why it's there?

John

Hehe I was looking it over and I say to myself, "Self, why the heck is this strip of plastic siliconed here in the corner?" After multiple minutes of looking things over I start to pry the bottom edge of the plastic strip thingy off then off it came. I thought maybe it's just the way they ship the suckers. Maybe the little plastic strip thingy fits somewhere else on the aquarium.

Still haven't figured out. And considering you get NO instructions on how to put the thing together, I couldn't figure out the original intention of the manufacturer.

:)

John

The plastic thing in the corner is a cord holder...it's so you can tuck your cord into it from your powerhead that came with the via aqua. ;)

Soooo you ripped it off huh???? Damn your screwed dood! That was the one important piece that held the entire tank together!!hahaha

It does work great to keep the cord along the corner though. Just wondering, the risk of ripping something off a siliconed corner didnt concern you in anyway? :|

Nope didn't concern me. Considering the corners were all well siliconed and that plastic cord holder was mushed onto a long strip of extra silicon. It came off rather easily.

Well, the mystery is solved. It's a cord holder. :P

John

Great setup.

I'm also in DC and have been considering any number of tank setup options- ViaAqua's are on my list. Your setup is only one I've seen that's been drilled, and the fact that you got it drilled (and pretty cheap, I'd say) nearby has me thinking about the possibilities.

I'd love to hear more about where you got your dry goods and livestock (particularly the tank and live rock)- was it in the area or online? And, if you don't mind, what kind of prices were you finding?

Thanks

Matt

(I also PMed, but just in case you're not checking, thought I'd post too)

The Via-Aqua ballasts are actually Helios ballast which are notorious for malfunctioning or just plain old quiting.

OK, NOW I want a 18 gal cube !!

I have this 20 gallon all drilled and painted, but the curved glass and the small trim of the Via-aqua is getting to me. LOL

MattDC,

Thanks for your compliments. As indicated above, I am moving down in size from my 100G reef-ready tank so I guess driling the tank "just felt right". I didn't want the (already small) tank to be crowded with heaters and powerheads, plus I wanted the option to utilize the sump for additional live rock, DSB, refugium, skimmer, etc. if I decided to go with any of those options later.

As for the dry goods, i purchased the tank and the return spouts at Congressional Aquarium in Rockville - the tank was $150, by far the best price that I was able to find. I got the acrylic sheets at Piedmont Plastics in Rockville - they cut to order while you wait. The only other thing I bought was a new heater and a smaller pump to return the water from the sump. Both were purchased online at drs. foster & smith. The rock, sand and livestock all came from my existing tank. The rock was originally purchased at FFE and the fish were purchased at either FFE or saltwaterfish.com.

The only thing I would do differently in terms of drilling the tank is that I would have stuck with my original plan of cutting slots/teeth in the overflow box instead of drilling holes as i ended up doing. The reason for this is that the teeth would have done a better job of skimming the occasional scum off the water surface (for example oils from frozen foods).

DAP,

Those lights are the only downside to an otherwise wonderful tank. I am SERIOUSLY considering gutting the light fixture and replacing those with a 96W CSL powerquad or replacing everything with one of the CSL custom prism pendants. All of these options would be a perfect match for the tank in terms of width. The ONLY thing hold me back is the simple fact the the lights DO work, it's just a PITA to remember to turn them on and off manually, especially having to turn the actinics on first, then come back later to turn on the daylights. Oh well, maybe I'll change the lights once I sell my 100G tank.

I'm considering a via aqua tank as well, really like the curved glass edge look. slick. TIGHT! marine scene has a 21gal for 289 or a full setup with rock and powerheads for 499. Not sure on the 21g's shape though, cube or rectangle. OH and it's all chromed out and shiz not black. Black looks smoother, chrome is a lil too much bling for meh. Congressional can get me the 18g cube for 219 on order /rude. You lucked out on that sale item bro, gonna be awhile till you see that deal again.

Brensaw,

Are you sure its a 21 gallon and not the 18 gallon?? IS it the 680 Aquarium Tank or another model #, I am curious to see what the 21 gallon looks like. I have not seen one that big by ViaAqua.

littlec,

You know you can put the lights on a timer, you will just have to bite your tounge and have both the actinic and daylight come on together. Or you can do the mod and have the best of both worlds.

I am actually looking into getting a new light hood as well but it has to be elevated light the current ViaAqua lights and it has to have a Metal Halide and PC bulbs. I did find one that was 24" long but because of the ballast of the PC it still worked just dont know if the hood would elevate over the tank. I cant recall what online company it was from. Xavier if you get this maybe you can chime in on where you saw that fixture for my tank.

Jeremy

I have been calling around the area. The Viaaqua 18 gallons were on sale for 40% of recently with the distributor, which is why Congressional had them for 150. They have no more at that price, but are willing to order for 219.95. (gee thanks) That seems to be about where everyone else in the area is at for the 18- some more like $200.

Try Joe at Showcase Aquarium. He is willing to do the 18 gallon for $150 (has to order) even if it's not on sale. And can order the 21 gallon (model 780) for $185!!! It's apparently a new model, not on the website.

Tell him Matt told you to call- I have been harrasing the poor guy for a month. If they go on sale he can do the 21 for like $115, but I wouldn't hold my breath for that price. They also have a 28 gallon (and a 37, and a 47...)- it's really better for freshwater- comes with a in-hood-filter, and crappy flo lighting. But I have been thinking of getting it and using with 2x55 from PSL and a filter/fuge setup more like littlec's. Showcase can order that at $150. I am thinking it might be fun to have the extra space, particularly in the depth, which is a few inches more than in a standard 29g...

(Caveat: I have never bought a thing from this guy, but he's been helpful on the phone and is offering a great price. Also all of these prices are for the grey color - there is a price difference for other colors. And I don't think he's gonna ship...)

Archived