Top Shelf Aquatics

Macro shots, no not the algea

JJshiv

I just discovered today that my camera has a macro setting. This means I can take awesome close ups for those who dont know much about photography like me. Here are some pics I took.

102_0255_IMG.jpg

102_0260_IMG.jpg

102_0262_IMG.jpg

102_0265_IMG.jpg

102_0266_IMG.jpg

102_0273_IMG.jpg

Ya they were fighting. I moved them right after the I took the pic. The damn snails and hermits keep knocking them over and this time they landed next to the torch. I need to find them a new place.

There is a full shot posted in another thread but here it is.

Awsome tank:o

questions questions I have questions:

Is your clownfish hosting in your hammer coral? Does it bother the hammer and make it retract?

Is that a six line wrasse? Does he bother your cleaner shrimp at all?

Could you show more pics of your refugium and lighting setup?

over and out

Korbin, to answer your questions:

The clown is hosting the hammer and they both seem to love it. The hammer seems to be healthier and fuller since I added the clown. The clown gives it little bits of food all the time so I think it is actually gettin bigger.

That is a 6-liner. He never touches the cleaners. He even lets them pick at him every now and then.

I will take some pics right now. Its kinda hard to get good pics cuz the Aquafuge is pushed up against the fridge right behind it but I will give it a shot. Do you want pics of my fuge lights or the tank lights?

Nice! Did you check out the pics of my new 29 gallon? Our setups are very very similar. Thanks for the fast response. How come you put a powerhead in the 'fuge?

BTW - make sure you don't let any snails plug your 'fuges return siphon. Trust me. (look at my post in this thread).

Korbin, no I havent seen your 29 I dont think, maybe though. I will go check it out. I posted about a turbo snail gettin in my return too, caused a mini flood. That post is in the general discussion I believe. I put a powerhead in there because I was having a film on the surface of the return area. The power head just gives the water an extra push to the water and breaks it up. Its worked really well actually.

Xavier, yes that is a yellow tang. Ive had him for maybe 3 months. So far he is doing great. When he gets bigger I will have to get him out of there but for now he is happy.

Question, are all those yellow/orange things on your LR and glass (cleaner shrimp pic) flat worms? Just curious, I noticed a few the other day in my own tank and got worried and still have flatworm on the brain.

Ya they are planaria. I HATE them. Everytime I do a water change, which is usually once a week, I siphon as many as I can out. It only seems to make them come back stronger though. Get every one you can see out of your tank as soon as possible, they multiply like crazy and cover everthing.

I have the beige less plague-ish, but need to rid them just the same. I only have a half dozen or so but will siphon as much as I can tomorrow (Sunday). If they start to multiply, I'm getting some of that "Flatworm Exit" stuff. Greenex contains copper, so I don't believe it is reef safe, besides, I heard some horror stories about that stuff. Oomed I have heard less horror stories, but some not so good ones all the same. I have yet to hear a bad thing about the Flatworm Exit, only very good results to date, so if need be, I will once again take the chemical route to cure my ailments. Good luck with yours, however from what I have read, it appears the only way to truly get rid of them is to nuke the little bastards. Again, good luck, and the tank looks great by the way, the placements and colors look wonderful, nice job.

If you can get your hands on a Chelidonura varians sea slug they can take care of your flatworm problem and then pass him off to someone else. I wouldnt get one if you only have a few though.

JJ - Do you notice the sixline feeding on them? Normally they are pretty good for flatworms

Ive never heard of that sea slug. I have a ton right now, it would take him awhile to get rid of them so maybe I will give one a shot. My six line never showed an interest in them. I got him back when there wasnt that many hoping he would get rid of the few that I had. He is a failure just like my peppermint shrimp and the aptaisa. I am willing to try just about anything to get rid of those flatworms. Ive heard about the chemical that is supposedly safe and nukes the flatworms right away but a sea slug that does it naturally would be much better. Thanks for the advice.

Archived