ReefCleaners.org

Looks like an ant hill

wmfink

Anybody know what might build a conical mound of sand about two inches high with a small hole in the center? Tank is two weeks old. No livestock introduced. 15L aga. 20lbs of Kaelini LR and 12Lbs LS. Thanks.

I used to go to beaches and find tons of triangular mounds with holes. I'm guessing they're mussels and they built their mounds to get air or water.

damn.... yet again the ESPInator is stumped... ????

WTF

lolz.

Perhaps something BIG in the sand? Siphon off the "hill" and then try taking a PH and lightly blowing the substrate away. see what is under there. Could be an OLIVE Snail, or a bivalve as suggested. report back I am urious what you find. ;)

does the mound not resemble your substrate? I have some large pods that seem to make tunnels and I would assume throw their poop out the hole. It is just that the mound is a finer particle base then the sand in the tank. I just figured pods by the ant farm effect, I saw the large pods burrowing up and down and leaving the finer/greyer stuff as a mound at the top of the whole.

The mound is under the ledge of a rock. Can't get to it to siphon. The mound is definitely a finer particle base than the substrate. I added nass snails yesterday and one of them partially knocked down the mound last night. By morning it was back.

I do remember seeing a very small clam after I first put in the LR and LS. Forgot about it 'til now. It sat around on the substrate for a couple of days and then disappeared. I'll keep an eye on the mound and see what happens once I get more critters in the tank.

What about the hole in the center of the mound? (can't help but chuckle with this). Hate to think that I have staring at a pile of crap for two weeks. That would be a new record!!!

Archived