Coral Vue Hydros

Stupid hawkfish has to go! Will this work?

freakaccident

freakaccident

I have a spotted hawk and he thinks it is funny to grab the snails and run around with them and drop them upside down. I am sick of flipping over the snails that I can get at and the ones I can't are dying. Can I put this fish in my refugium? Will he be alright? My ref. is about 1/2 of a 10g but 3"s from the top (probably 3.5gs). I have 5 lbs of LR in it with grape caulerpa.

Thanks,

Aaron

Originally posted by freakaccident

he thinks it is funny to grab the snails and run around with them and drop them upside down.  

It is funny.

I'm not sure if you want to put the hawk in the fuge as it might clean out the pod population but it can be done. I left a tomato clown in my sump for about 6 months once. No lights, nothing. Fish loved it.

I would say he would be alright in there for awhile, but I wouldn't make it a perminant home. It is too small, and as Crakeur said, you will deplete your pod population and negate one of the main purposes of a fuge.

freakaccident

Well I went to the LFS and bought new snails. I decided to get the biggest snails I could hoping he wouldn't mess with them. I bought 5 turbos each being larger than a golf ball. Within seconds he started beating them up. I tore the tank down and got that hawk out. He is currently in the fuge. He will stay there until I get my bigger tank cycled. I am going to feed him two to three times a day hoping he won't deplete the fuge. He seems content down there.

hehe, send in a small team of voert operations fighting conch.

aqualung division 2 reporting for duty sir. Mission is to seek out and destroy one hawkfish, codename Osama Bin Hawkfish. We are to infiltrate the dense jungle of the refugium and remove the target with as little fanfare as possible. It should be noted that the hawkfish is a wily creature that is very adept in close combat so we will be using our SAM's (Snail Assassin Missiles). In the event that these don't work, we will simply beat the scales off of the freakish looking fish but we are failry confident that the SAM's will work.

We'll report back to you as soon as the mission is complete. We are well aware that, should the mission fail, you will deny any and all knowledge of our existence and we have been instructed to blame the French for any mishaps that might arise as a direct result of our mission.

Archived