Pod Your Reef

feather duster ripped tube!

iamcuhja

ok guys i need some help, my feather duster had a little rip in the side of the brown sleeve that he lives in when i bought him, and i went to move him today and his bottom end of his body ripped through the side! what can i do?

BrassMonkey030

mine put his tail through the old tube. i accedently pulled the rest of the tube off em. he dug his body under a rock and started makin a new tube. hes doin fine.

I would just let the duster alone for awhile. They can repair themselves and grow their tubes quite rapidly. Probably the worst mistake you can make right now is thinking you can heal the duster yourself by intervening. Just wait it out and hope for the best.

Good Luck!

drowsyfirefly

Having killed one feather duster (Buddy, RIP) I would have to agree with CBlanks.

I read about someone performing surgery and did some myself because my feather duster was trying to leave his tube and he did not make it.

Just leave him be and he will decide what to do. The tube itself is a secretion that they make (yes, even coco worms) and given a chance they can remake it themselves.

Does he still pull all the way into his tube if you bother him? Does he perk up if you put phytoplankton in? These are both good signs that he's healthy. If both of these are yes, then he's doing well despite the rip.

So don't intervene. It's tempting, but resist the urge!

Good luck, I hope your guy pulls through (no reason to think he wouldn't either)!

--Meghan

Feather Dusters are extremly resiliant.....as everyone has stated above, he will fix himself in no time.....dont bug him in the mean time, put him where you want him and leave him alone for a while!

Just because a duster hs no crown, or a rip in the tube, or you see it leave the tube or find a hollow one, it in now way means he is dead....unless you actually see or have the dead worm, he is almost always still alive! They can come back from bristlewrom attacks, VERY poor water quality, and any other number of things.

cool, thanks guys. the feather duster, has been looking a little smaller lately, thats why i went to move it. but, it still goes all the way in its tube and comes all the way out.

Archived