inTank Media Baskets

pH and and alkilinity a little too low

zaraleo

I recently checked my water parameters and found that that the pH is a little to low (7.8).  this isn't a major problem now since I only have snails and hermits inhabiting the tank.  however, this will need to be corrected before I add any corals and fish.  I understand that kalkwasser will help.  Any suggestions?

NanoReefer53

Kalk is used more for bigger tanks or supplementing SPS tanks. I would just go with the easier to use 2-part alk/calcium solutions like B-ionic.

i have a 75 gall and use the seachem products the calcium helps with both alk and ph. but sometimes i add the ph buffer or alk buffer. i only seem to add this every couple weeks.where the calcuim seems to help maintain it. also all 3 of these products are easy to use

Alkalinity is what gives pH some inertia. Without adequate alkalinity, your pH will swing easily (a bad thing), though typically it will drop.

If you do waterchanges say weekly, low alk will probably not be a problem. Many people supplement alk by adding buffer regularly. It's probably just as easy to buy an alk kit and to maintain levels close to NSW (2.5-4.0meq/l or 7-11dKH).

If you choose to go with a supplement that takes care of both alk and calcium (such as B-Ionic), then you should get a calcium test kit as well. The relationship between the two isn't too complicated, though many have a poor understanding of it which leads to some frustration.

Ty

Archived