Coral Vue Hydros

3g Eclipse pics

3gEclipseGuy

3gEclipseGuy

Wow. I can't believe I'm doing this. I am very happy with the way things are looking in my tank. I think I'm only going to add two more things. One goby (catalina, I think) and one crab (anemone or maybe emerald, leaning to anemone because of the cool atennae things that they stick out). Here's a pic of it so far.

Inhabitants:

green musrhooms,

red mushrooms w/blue dots

orange polyps

various feather dusters

yellow leather

orange bubble tip anemone

xenia

blue ricordea

red star fish

blue hermit

scarlet hermit

cleaner shrimp

bumble bee snails

snails in sand?

Anymore 3g Eclipse pics out there? Would love to see them.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nice setup 3geclipseguy... how many watts is that 9'' mini aqualight? i'm thinking about converting my 6g eclipse into a mini "quarantine" reef tank...

oh, and how's the anemone doing?

3gEclipseGuy

Uchiha It's two 9 watts in there. One's actinic the other 10k. It's only a 3 gallon so I figured it would be enough for the anemone. Seems to be doing well. BK what tank did you have it in?

Derek_setter

naw...man that anemone is lookin' healthy...plus they arent HIGH light anemones......just be sure to feed it silversides (or somehting like that) at LEAST once every other day. It's got great bubbling. The tank may not be old enough for it, maturity wise, for many people wait about one year until they put in anemones. with the recnet price drip, most ppl dont wait that long.

nice tank, very neat.....i like it

nice tank 3geclipseguy

but i was wondering is that a rose bta? and id have to agree with BKtomodachi on the anemone. i had a bta in a 7gal bowfront with 2x32w pc lights and it whithered, but then again i never fed it hoping that the lights would be enough

and my 7g had a 10g sump with uv and skimmer so i know it wasnt the water quality

and by the time i started feeding it was to late

not trying to bash or anything just my 2 cents

goodluck with the tank

mike

Rose Bubble Tip Anemone....what you have, and a fine specimine at that. You said that you have two nine watters in there, they wouldn't be out of a coralife fixture would they?

3gEclipseGuy

AH! Thought it looked more orange than rose. I'm still figuring out all the anacronyms here. It sure gets tough sometimes but I should've known that one.

Yeah... Coralife mini 9" aqualite.

This exact one:

http://www.lampsnow.com/92x9wcomiaqc.html

9" Coralife Mini Aqualight™ Deluxe Series - 1-9 watt Actinic and 1-9 watt 10,000K™ Compact Fluorescent Lamps

* A great little unit from a reputable company, these compact fluorescent units are high quality!

* A complete hood system, ready to be placed over your tank.

* Double 9W lamp unit (18W Total).

* 1x 9W Coralife 10,000K and 1x 9W Coralife Actinic Compact Fluorescent Lamp Included.

* Built-in Ballast.

* Sleek Aluminum Housing.

* Highly-Polished Reflector.

* Acrylic Lens Cover.

* On/Off switch.

* 12 Month Limited Warranty from Coralife/Energy Savers Unlimited.

* Powercord length from unit: approx 5' 6", or 66".

* Dimensions -Unit alone: 9"L x 5 1/4"W x 2 1/16"H

* The Aqualight mounting legs do NOT fit this unit, they only fit full sized aqualights (20" or larger

3gEclipseGuy

Also, I moved the Yellow Leather away from the BTA. The LFS (local fish store) told me that the BTA could harm it with it's tentacles. True? Moved it just in case.

Man that rbta is going to die.You need alot more light and an established tank.I would try and trade him to the LFS for another coral or get your money back.Goodluck and keep us updated.

can I see picks of the lighting setup, and filtration setup? Do you have the stock hood and filtration? What other add-ons have you done besides the light?

everybody is so quick to bash. i think the tank looks great, and the anemone looks healthy. as long as you're feeding him, i don't see why he wouldn't do fine. i'm glad you went with the emerald over the anemone crab though, as anemone crabs are filter feeders.

if we don't ever try something that others think is impossible, then this hobby will never grow.

if you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all.

Jason

Vic, you need to get a clue.Who is bashing?Can you tell me what this website is here for?The answer is for information and that is what I provided.How long have you been reefing buddy ,cause I can tell you that anemones require strong light and an established tank.I am trying to help the guy out.If you call feeding the guy a bunch of lies like you are nice, then I dont want to be nice.Why dont you do some more reading before you open your mouth cause you dont know what your talking about.

i'm sorry corrie, i didn't realize that you were the god of reef keeping. bta's are low light anemones, unlike many other anemone's out there. i have seen plenty of them in nano reefs over the years, and they have all done fine with supplemental feeding. he has 18 watts of PC's over a 3 gallon tank. thats 6 watts per gallon! i realize that that's not a good judge for lighting, but i would say that is it sufficient for an rbta's needs. and besides, he never mentioned how long the tank has been set up anyway.

Jason

Well,I can tell by looking at the tank that it isnt that old.Also he is l speaking of adding more livestock which normaly indicates a young tank that is in the process of being stocked.

if we don't ever try something that others think is impossible, then this hobby will never grow.

This isnt star trek and believe me people have tried this before.

3gEclipseGuy

Tballa- I'll post the pics of set up later tonight...

Corrie- thanks for the info. I thought I'd give it a try on the BTA, since the LFS sold for $30. I was thinking along the same lines as Vic was (6 watts/gallon on a nano). Since I've never done this before, it's all an experiment for me. Hopefully he'll last. I'll keep you guys updated on it. So far it's 4.5 months now. yeah yeah... very early in the stages, I know. But we'll see. Water temp and composition are running smoothly.

I'm adding one other thing.... either a goby or a blenny. And I already know that this is another crazy idea, but I'll probably end up doing it anyways.... Catalina Goby.

Thanks, looking forward to them! BTW, Nice RBTA. I'm no expert, but i say until it starts to look bad or starts to die, keep it. It looks great! Your whole tank does!

Well, i think the general concensus on the BTA from Nano-reef would have been not to do it, but if its still that healthy colored fter 3 months, i would say keep it unless it takes a turn for the worse.

BTW..About adding another fish in the tank. Be careful, with a small tank like that adding even a small fish could be cause for concern. Just be careful of your bioload, you don't want too many big organisms in there.

~

RBTA's do not subsist on light. They live on and need to be fed silversides. It is a myth that you need high amounts of light.

As for adding a goby, I wouldn't do it. Gobies like to flick or skim around the rock, exploring the rock. They don't really "swim" like a clown fish would. With that being said, in your small tank, there wouldn't be much room for your goby to explore without coming in contact with your RBTA, which will sting, kill and eat your goby if it comes in contact with it. And of course you have taketz's concern about bioload, though a goby really wouldn't add that much. But it also means you with goby's out, you wouldn't be able to add other fish either because the bioload would be higher. 3 gallons is very limiting as to what you can keep.

Derek_setter

imho i wouldnt put a fish in there at all.....your tank is nice and stable, but with a fish you will have to feed, and you are also feeding the anemone (i hope) that is a lot of decay for a little tank like that. I dont nlike seeing fish in n e hting smaller than a 7 or 10 gallon tank, becuase they just werent meant to be kept confned like that.

Archived