SaltCritters.com

disturbing emerald crab pic

chufa

He is thinking really hard. He is thinking " I wonder how long it will take this bozo to stop watching me long enought to snag a snack, Untill then I will sit here and look all innocent and stuff."

i don't know, i've seen my emerald pick around corals and he seems to be just picking stuff of the the rocks, but i'd watch him anyways.

I've heard they'll eat fish if hungry... I was going to put one into my tank but felt unsure about their compatibility in a reef. What is the general consensus on these things anyway?

"Hmmm....I wish these bastages would stop making fun of me, I'm just a good crab. No one appreciates us well enough. Man, I hate coral! The smell reminds me of my old girlfriend's mother. Stinky ***** she was. Man, this sargassum is the ######! Hey you! Yea, the fruit with the camera. Come a little closer, I'll give you something to take a picture of. Ah, the life of a crab."

-Mithrax

guys, don't tell cmoreash that i got on his computer again ;)

:)

Well, for a moment I thought he was eating GSP. But he wasn't indeed. I don't know what he was picking at. He did it so gently the GSP didn't even close while he was picking (except the one he was sitting on top of)

Hey man keep an eye, no keep both eyes on that guy. I had an emerald crab devour my capnella. It sucked man I raised it from the size of an eraser. It was 3 1/2" tall when he removed every branch and polyp!:*( damn SOB

He's at the LFS now (it took everything I had not to kill him) and my capnella is growing new polyps :D

In his defense Im sure he was starving. My tank doesnt have any hair of bubble algae (Knocking on wood) so make sure he has plenty to eat. I gave him grape caulerpa every other day, but obviously that was not enough.:

P.S. I posted a bad pic of him attacking my capnella, search for renegade crab

Damm those renegade crabs:angry:

I'm starting to worry about mine now. He's gotten way too big! I've seen him pick at my frogspawn but just around the base and recently I've seen him pick at the gorgonian waiting for the polyps to come out. It's time for him to go......

One day I was looking at GPS and I swear that I saw him quickly drop his claws when he noticed that I was watching him. To this day I still wonder what he was doing.

I recently threw an Emerald down the toilet after he ate two different acropora's I had gotten. I saw him doing it, so I know it wasn't anything or anyone else. After the 1st I thought maybe it was just that variety (tasty!), but the second one he ate was different.

"Yoe are the dumbest link. Goodbye!"

One day I was looking at GPS

Cool, Caesar. What were your coordinates? :P

I recently threw an Emerald down the toilet

:( poor crab! You should have not done that. You could have just give him back. :angry:

Sorry, didn't mean to give the crab bad rap. I am just watching him carefully, as he is one well armed individual. But so far, no damage done, and good job in eating algae. Plus, he (or she) is cute having around.

Give him to a friend. Great idea.... NOT.

If I gave him to a friend, he'd eat that persons coral. Nice friend I'd be. If I returned him, some unsuspecting person would pay good money for him (like I did) and then lose a bunch of nice expensive coral (like I did).

I think the greater good outweighed the bad of his death. I did think of both of those options, and opted not to do them for exactly these reasons.

friggen moolies. :angry:

how bout i go around shooting people for driving too fast? It's not the crabs fault, you took the risk even buying the thing.

And killing it? stupid. there's who'd be willing to take it, so you wouldn't kill the poor thing. I've devoted my 5.5 gallon tank to keeping crabs that other people don't want. If you're gonna kill some animal for doing something natural, this is not the hobby for you.

What the hell is wrong with some people? Some crab inconveniences you and you flush it? I hope you don't have kids, or if you do I hope they're being raised by wolves or apes or rabid armadillos or just about anyone who can teach them a little respect for life.

And if you must kill an aquatic animal, at least have the decency and, if I may say so, the balls to smack it with a hammer instead of just flushing it down the toilet. That's an incredibly cruel death. How would you like to be drowned in a cesspool?

Man......ease up. Yes it's a living entity, but sheess.......

I'm sure we've all watched our coral grow and THEN...... see it get killed! And yes buying the crab is our resposiblity in knowning about its potential dangers, but that could be said about dogs and cats.

Me personally, I have kids and with that, if I seen any dog, cat or anything for that matter hurt them.....stand the F%^& back! If my main concerns are my kids, then I don't care what happens to the crab.

On a side note.......smashing it with a hammer would do me just fine.

Okay, if we're going all out, I slapped a mosquito the other day that was biting me.. Sjould I feel bad about that too?

If I'd known there was someone who collected destructive crabs, I'd have happily shipped it off. I was thinking more along the lines of, why pass along my problem to someone else. I can stop the problem here, but yes, it involved the crab dying.

Originally posted by kimura

I'm sure we've all watched our coral grow and THEN...... see it get killed!  And yes buying the crab is our resposiblity in knowning about its potential dangers,  but that could be said about dogs and cats.

Me personally, I have kids and with that, if I seen any dog, cat or anything for that matter hurt them.....stand the F%^& back!  If my main concerns are my kids, then I don't care what happens to the crab.

This analogy fails because once the crab is out of your tank it's no longer a threat to your corals (or your kids :)). If you had to kill it in order to remove it (like aiptasia) then I think you would have a valid reason for doing so. However, if you get it out of the tank alive, killing it just becomes a matter of convenience and/or revenge.

Originally posted by Grif

Okay, if we're going all out, I slapped a mosquito the other day that was biting me.. Sjould I feel bad about that too?

No, and it's not the same thing. The mosquito wasn't under your care, and if you had just removed the mosquito from your immediate presence it would probably have come back and bitten you again. You didn't capture the mosquito from the wild or raise it, and you gave it a quick death instead of torturing it.

I'm not saying we all have to become vegans and make sure we don't step on any bugs. I'm saying that I think we have an obligation to animals we have under our care to generally provide for them as best as we can and not subject them to painful deaths just to be vindictive. If you can afford to be in this hobby, you can afford a 5 or 10 gallon setup to put nasties in and a little food to feed them until you can find a better place for them.

I don't think this is any kind of PETA-style extremism I'm advocating here, just basic humane treatment and responsibility. Is that really so much to ask? Is every second of your time so valuable that you can't spare the life of a crab that was just doing what comes naturally? Look, I don't want to lay some kind of guilt trip on you, I just want you to think about it next time. These critters don't ask to be put in our little glass boxes, so I think we should generally try to look out for their best interests.

The coral I put in my system (animals) were also under my care. Just because the crab is more animate, I don't see it as more important than the other creatures under my care.

WRT to killing it maliciously, there's not many places on a saturday night at 11:30 where I can store a crab. It had an alternate home in a friends sump if I was able to catch it at a time when transporting it there was reasonable. 11:30 on Saturday night isn't really reasonable.

Get off your high horses. Things have happened in your tanks that maybe other could criticize as insensitive/wrong/inadvisable, but 1 crabs life to save that of a dozen coral (living animals I remind you) was a reasonable exchange.

You are absolutely determined to be a complete ass about this, aren't you? Well, don't let me stop you, you irresponsible little loser. I'm sorry to hear you were too lazy or stupid or sadistic to put the crab in a bucket of saltwater. I'm sorry you didn't have the balls to give it a quick death instead of just flushing it (out of sight, out of mind--never mind that it had to have been a prolonged period of agony for the crab). It makes me sad for the overall human condition. Please don't breed.

I'll stay on my high horse, thank you, if getting off it means I have to rub elbows with the likes of you.

Crab agony. Good one.

I hope you don't eat seafood. My guess is the staff at Red Lobster knows you by name.

How long do you think I can keep you going? This is getting fun.

Archived