ReefCleaners.org

$20 13w PC Retro (DIY)

Christopher Marks

Christopher Marks

This particular lighting kit has been discussed since we first saw it used on Glazer's 2.5 gallon nano reef. It seems that after some searching at local hardware and home improvement stores, various versions of this light are available.

So what is it?

This is a manufactured 13w 'Flurescent Clamp Work Light'. The key benefit to this light is that it is rather inexpensive. $15-$20 in most cases, and everything is included to make it a retro kit.

The 13w power compact bulb is mounted in a clear acrylic tube with rubber endcaps. The various versions only differ by the color of the end caps. The ones found at Lowes are yellow, and those found in other stores are usually red. As you can imagine, this acrylic tube makes for good protection against salt kreep and water splashes.

The bulb that comes with it is a standard 13w lamp, and fortunately is 6500K. For your daylight spectrum, that's perfect. You can also get replacement 50/50 or actinic lamps at online stores for around $9-$13.

The product comes with a flexable metal pole, attached to a clamp. At the opposite end is a black plastic clip that holds the acrylic tube. This clip can be removed very easily from the metal pole by twisting it and loosening the bolt. You will need to then find a screw for you to mount this clip to the top of your aquarium canopy or hood. Once in place you have a sturdy clip to hold your 'retro' in place.

The other benefit to this product is that the ballast is mounted in the power cord. It's fully enclosed and no modding of any sort will need to be done.

So for a mere $20, you can have a water resistant 13w pc retro to use over refugiums or smaller nano reefs, and it doesn't require any modifications to the existing product. It can be found in Lowes stores in the lighting department, usually with other small work lights. Others have found them at Home Depots or other alike stores. The similar version to this has a much smaller clamp on it, and is marketed as a book light. These have been found at Stacks And Stacks homeware stores, and is also available for ordering online at http://www.stacksandstacks.com/html/60014.htm for $19.99.

The Bookworm lights I purchased from Menards do NOT have a 6500K bulb. The bulb is only 4100k, making it significantly less useful for a retro kit. I am using the two of them over a planted tank at the moment. We can't use the switch on one of the lights anymore, as it doesn't seem to work. I also haven't been able to open the lights.

I'm putting together a book right now.... Home Improvement Store Treasures and Garage Sale Goodies For The Home Aquarium

Introduction: How to see with new eyes

Chapter 1: The myths and legends of hardware store ballasts and parking lot HID lighting.

Chapter 2: Filtration, Skimmers,wet/drys and refugiums

From empty two-liter bottles to old mixing bowls

Chapter 3:Test kits from common household items and your

medicine cabinet.

Chapter 4........ well that is as far as I've got :D;)

gobies... if you haven't mangled them too bad just take them back. I was just at Menards the other day and opened three boxes of them, they ALL had 6500K bulbs in them. So did the work light fixtures at the Home Depot. Maybe you got "older stock". Oh and the switch, I forgot they even had one...lol I just left them on and plugged them into timers. PM me if you are having a hard time taking the thing apart, it's really easy I promise.

Originally posted by glazer

I'm putting together a book right now....  Home Improvement Store Treasures and Garage Sale Goodies For The Home Aquarium  

Chapter 1: The myths and legends of hardware store ballasts and parking lot HID lighting.

medicine cabinet.

Chapter 4........ well that is as far as I've got :D  ;)

You know I've actually never heard of some of these diy "tricks"...

Originally posted by glazer

I'm putting together a book right now....  Home Improvement Store Treasures and Garage Sale Goodies For The Home Aquarium  

medicine cabinet.

Chapter 4........ well that is as far as I've got :D  ;)

OH, OH, OH!

Chapter 4: You too can drill holes in that glass (maybe)!

Chapter 5: Finger nail glue, door sealer, two part epoxy and more.....

I was looking at these things and the only BAD thing I can figure is that when the bulb goes I will need to buy a new fixture. I can't find anyone here who sells anything over a 4100k replacement for a 13 watt. That being said... 4100k wouldn't be so bad over a refugium for growing macro algae.... right? ????

Well at first I thought the question was too painfully obvious NOT to ask... sooooo, um Why don't you just order replacement bulbs on line? Not like you couldn't find oh I dunno, prolly 50 different places that sell them.

But then.... thinking further, is it because of the whole "Canadian thing", as in it would cost more to order the bulbs than just buy a new fixture?

And yes... I do believe you could grow some seaweed's with a 4100K bulb, hehe.

yeah that exchange thing is a killer, $10US is about $15 CDN then we have to pay duty, and taxes (14.5%) so it gets expensive quick, when you consider the lights themselves are $20.... oh well.

• 3 weeks later...
technoshaman

These bulbs look nifty. Seems every time I go by Lowe's or WalMart they never have them in stock. They did have some 13 watt PC shoplights at WalMart but the stock bulb was 4k and the ballasts would need to be rewired much farther away, they were about 3 inches from the socket on the one I bought for like 9 bucks.

• 1 month later...

What's the verdict on these lights? Chris' post said they were 6500k but some have said they're 4000k?

Also, anyone know the HD or Lowes SKU number for these things? HD didnt have them but said they'd order them if I knew the SKU.

Thanks.

I was in Wally World this past weekend looking at lights. Hanging on the wall near the lamps was 13w 6500K PC lights for $4. How easy and cheap does it need to be?

• 2 weeks later...

I found one of these at Lowe's in Tallahassee, Florida over the weekend and it fits perfectly into the hex 5gal hood.

Now instead of the dreadful yellow of the old bulb, I have a nice 6500k white light...it looks great.

Thanks for this thread Christopher.

went to walmart today. Saw the hand held version - like the old variety "trouble light - similar to the one Lizbeth was speaking about one time only this one has 1 tube instead of 2 and dual switches like she showed.

$9.97!!!!!! it is 13W 6500K.

Walmart did not have even ONE replacement tube for these lights - they also sell the same type tube in a desk lamp.

will that 1 single 13W 6500K be sufficient for the fuge in my 10G sump? i divided the 10g like this: / (top view) with the fuge in the middle section.

OR----should i look for the 7600K some post is available for this light?

already dis-assembled it, too, but am gonna use it as is - suspended from shelf 20g nano sits on!!

any ideas better???

i will post some pics after more comes together! ? - in the memb tanks or DIY section?????

I got the same one that Christopher Marks (got it from lowes, and yes it is a 6500k light stock) has pictured and mounted it with a actinic 03 from hellolights in addition to my quad pc 6500k. Lights the tank up nicely. Now, it may look kinda rigged, but it works great and was cheap. :)

no comments on the salt creep please :blush: . And, here is a shot of the new tank, no corals yet, just inverts....... but that will change soon. :o

Archived