Innovative Marine Aquariums

jmt.12³ blog (revisited)

jmt

So a while back I had a custom cube constructed with hopes of turning it into a strict SPS nano. Well, I got busy and the cube got put on the backburner and never got past anything more than water circulating around rock and sand.

Alas, I decided to set the cube back up, at home, and make it the primary habitat for my softies and orange skunk clown.

The reason for all this: hair algae.

My current 10ga is infested with the stuff. So much, in fact, that I am cutting off all the corals, cleaning them heavily, putting them in the cube with my fish, and letting the covered live rock sit in a dark container until the algae is gone.

All the original information can be found here .

Now, onto the new specs.

I've changed up a few things, so here we go.

Lighting:

-1x18w 11" Odyessa PC Fixture w/ Flip-Top Legs

Circulation:

-1xRio 600 (200gph)

Heating:

-1x50w Won Stainless Steel w/ External Thermostat Control

Hopefully, I will have it stocked by tommorow. So, until then, here are some pics to tide you over.

5403nc1.JPG

5403nc2.JPG

5403nc5.JPG

5403nc4.JPG

Thanks.

-jmt

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That looks awesome--I had hairy algae problems too, and found that the best way to remove it is constant manual removal + phosban. Mine has been reduced heavily--and I do plan on putting my live rock with it with no lights too when I upgrade *just in case*.

That cube is looking killer, looks really clean, great job on it, keep us updated.

Wow, replies already. Thanks.

rbaby: I'm looking forward to the completion of you new tank. Sad to say I'm just too lazy to manually remove all the algae. I tried once, to no avail. Besides, the tank is way too far gone now.

mushroom head

Awesome!When will u be adding coral?Your having a skimmer on that tank?How is that light working for ya?Is it bright?

jenniebutterfly

i had hair algae in my 29 after the cycle, i bought 3 turbos and it was all gone within a week. have not seen any since :D

The coral additions start tommorow.

I didn't feel the skimmer was necessary on this tank.

The light is suprisingly sturdy. I was expecting a less than par light for only having paid $27 shipped. The color in the photos is very, very close to the actual color.

As for the MH, the tank is in my parents house. Last time I drilled a hole in the cieling and mounted a pendant, all hell broke loose. It's one of the main reasons I sold it. The PC will be perfect for the softies I'm looking to keep.

Thanks.

PS: Anyone want to buy an MH pendant? Minimal use. $100 + shipping?

wow

talk about an all you can eat buffet for a tang :)

i have the same odyssea fixture going on my fuge, those were on sale for such a good price i bought 2... the other resides on my eclipse 6. neat little lights for an excellent price too :)

Originally posted by ReefTankForMe

I will definitely never mess with tap water after seeing that!

it moreso depends on where you live. I used only RO/DI water on my tank for a while, then switched to tap water and it works just as well (a fellow reefer in the area just so happens to be an environmetal engineer in town who uses tap water in his 180 gallon SPS tank), but for the most part I would guess that it is safer to use RO/DI water.

JMT, tank looks great. Surprisingly bright looking light. Is it 12"x12"x12" or is it 12 gallons. Looks to be the 12"x12"x12". Who made the tank?

-Mark

The viewable are of the tank is 12x12x12". The tank with the sump is 12x15x12". That leaves the 12x3x12" sump.

Approximately, the Entire tank holds 9ga., with the viewable holding 7.5ga and the sump holing 1.5ga. With rock, sand, and equipment, the tank is actually holding about 6ga.

The water here in Memphis is top-notch with the Artesian wells and what not. However, it doesn't seem to be too good for reef tanks.

I generally buy my distilled water for $.58/ga at Wal-Mart. For the tanks that remained strictly on the distilled water, they did fine.

I'd reccomend never using tap water. The price for distilled or RO/DI water is cheap compared to the costs and frustrations of fighting an algae battle. And, although I've kept sucessful tanks started on tap, I've learned my lesson.

I'm not sure who created the actual tank, but I ordered it through Dave at Kermit's Reef in Memphis, TN. He cut and installed the acrylic divider/overflow as well as the bulkhead. Top quality stuff at a great rate. He's got a funky little shop that you should definately swing by if you're ever out and about around Memphis.

Kermit's Reef

8551 Macon Rd

Cordova, TN

-jmt

newbiecarlz

wow that has inspired me to nip my slowly spreading hair algae in the bud right now.. thats nasty!

i like the new tank BTW - looks very nice! cant wait to see it with coral ;)

I'm slowly making new additions today. It's taken me a while to frag and clean my corals from my old tank (not to mention dry heaving from the smell of xenia).

One of my newest additions, the tamiyama goby.

I generally shy away from shrimp gobies because you hardly ever get to see them in the tank. However, peering into this little guy's space at the store, I noticed him out and in full display. I couldn't resist.

5403tomiyama.JPG

I also captured a shot of two hermits eating away at a snail I considered questionable for quite some time. I guess he really was dead.

5403sweetdeath.JPG

I'll update more later today as I get everything acclimated and placed.

Thanks.

-jmt

Well, everything is finally in the tank. The corals and fish are still getting adjusted so a full tank shot was pointless. I did manage to snap a few candids until tommorow when I can get in some better shots.

Top Down

5403topdowncube.JPG

Electric Blue Candy Cane

5403thecane.JPG

Hawaiian Feather Duster

5403fduster.JPG

My Favorite Zoos

5403favzoos.JPG

Orange Skunk Clown and Tomiyama Goby

5403awwfriends.JPG

Minisump and Equipment

5403minisump.JPG

Thanks.

-jmt

Very nice, I really like the look of the tank, and the aquascaping. It is going to look great when it fills in.

B)

Bob

Just wondering - How long did it take for the hair algae to get that bad? That is one of the worst cases I have seen.

Archived