Coral Vue Hydros

Planted Saltwater Tank?

Chromis

So I have come to the conclusion that freshwater is harder (at least for me) to keep. After having my 28 bow-front reef running for a couple years I picked up a 20 gallon with an eclipse top to try my hand at a planted freshwater tank. After several months I give up. Do I seriously have to take out all the rocks and driftwood and clean the green off. Damn. Anyways!

I'm finally tearing it down and will have two saltwater tanks. However I'm thinking I just want a damsel tank, lots of color and activity. But I'm also thinking of just docorating with base rock and let the macro run wild for a planted saltwater look. Has anyone ever seen anything like this? Any tips? Any hints or things to watch out for?

BKtomodachi

Yeah, some mexicana would make a totally sweet tank. Just remember to keep it growing my manually removing a bunch every now and then.

I like macro tanks myself.

yeah we keep out fire shrimp in a macro only tank at work. Its pretty sweet, were up to 8 different kinds of macro in it now.

normal_Img0525.JPG

MrAnderson

Some cool planted nanos:

10_gal._nano.jpg

39438152.jpg

4k-1.jpg

my old setup:

9690fulltankshot-med.JPG

4607nano7-14-04-med.jpg

wvdaisy has a really nice planted tank:

8460Full_tank-med.JPG

As far as things to look out for, pH swings. pH is dependent on dissolved CO2 levels, and since photosynthesis consumes this, macro tanks can have pretty wide diurnal pH swings.

Originally posted by MrAnderson

Some cool planted nanos:

4607nano7-14-04-med.jpg

What kind of alge is that in the top left the, stringy looking clump? I have some of that in my tank.

that tank is just a 29g hooked up to 2 others, about 10 10g's and a 180g vat.

has about 8 different kinds of macro in there. there is now some blue and 2 different reds in there as well, but we devided it all up into a few 10g's cuz we're moving stuff around.

We just use it to grow out macro to sell for fuges and such, has a 2x96w on there that stays on 24x7 and we just happen to keep all the fire shrimp in it.

Looks really cool with 50 fire shrimp in there:)

Originally posted by EnderG60

yeah we keep out fire shrimp in a macro only tank at work. Its pretty sweet, were up to 8 different kinds of macro in it now.

normal_Img0525.JPG

Are those Blood/Fire Shrimp? How could you afford all of them!!!

--Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Archived