Cultivated Reef

Damage's 136 watt 24g nano

DamageInc

Finally got the lights modded. Added 2 x 32watts sunpaq retrofit. Bulbs are dual actinics. Swapped out 1 stock 50/50 and added a 36w 10K.

Also added r2 led moonlights which I got from nanocustoms.com as well as upgraded fans on separate variable power adapter (startech.com fans 22 cfm, 28dba).

Here are the dual actnics.

13892dualactinics-med.JPG

Dual actinics, 1 50/50 and 1 10K. Do you think it's to white?

13892fulllights-med.JPG

Can anyone identify this?

13892whatisthat-med.JPG

Baby Aiptasia? I hope not.

13892aiptasia-med.JPG

I got a little duster.

13892duster-med.JPG

Let me know what you guys think. I have to swap out the stock pump with a maxijet 900. Also going to put another maxijet 900 in the first bay.

Damage

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DamageInc

Moonlights

I had to mount them in a weird spot in the left rear corner of the hood because there was no other room under the splashguard with all of the other lights.

13892moonlights-med.JPG

DamageInc

maxvan1,

I have 14lbs of fiji which has alot of purple and red coraline growth. Also 12 lbs of brazilian lr. It's very porous and lightweight. 1 piece of tonga branch in the back right side.

Damage

DamageInc

Two separate lfs' in west palm beach, FL. Tropical fantaseas and Coral Sea Aquariums. I never heard of the brazilian lr before I bought though.

Damage

DamageInc

I know alot of people have problems with their temps in the nanocubes but I have not had a problem yet. Here is what I get if you want to compare.

When lights were stock temps were 80.0-80.9. The low and high range were the extremes and mostly temps stayed in between those numbers.

I now have 136 watts. I upgraded the fans to 22 cfm's. I still have the stock pump in the third chamber. The temps are the same as when the lights were stock.

In the near future I will be replacing the stock pump with a maxijet 900 and will add another maxijet 900 to the 1st chamber. I'm not sure if this will make much difference in water temps though.

At home I have central a/c but even when I keep it up high around 75 degrees my tank stays at the same temps previously mentioned.

Hope this helps.

Damage

DamageInc

Here are the lights.

10k and 50/50

10kand5050.jpg

Dual actinics

dualactinics.jpg

R2 led Moonlight. I know it's in a weird spot.

moonlight.jpg

DamageInc

Artarmon,

Thanks. In the first chamber I have the sponge. 2nd chamber I have a bag of chemipure. Third chamber has stock pump and 100w ebo heater.

I plan on replacing the stock pump with a maxijet 900 and put another maxijet 900 in the 1st chamber pushing flow out through the overflow grill. Just have to hack off the nozzle of the maxijet a little to make it fit.

Nick

FishFreak

Get some Joes Juice. I just found out that I have aiptasia and I am going out tomorrow to get some. or a peppermint shrimp will help also.

DamageInc

I'm waiting for my cycle to finish then I will get the peppermint shrimp. Make sure you don't get a camelback shrimp. They look alike but are not the same. Peppermints are the ones that eat aiptasia.

The last photo I have of the aiptasia is the biggest one I have. Most of them are to small to inject.

I'm also looking into getting a berghia verrucicornis a/k/a aiptasia eating nudibranch. They are hard to find. So far I only found them at inlandaquatics.com but they want $25 for 1 tiny one.

Good luck with your aiptasia problem.

Damage

Nick,

Nice setup, looks real good. I had the same problem with the r2...i had no room for it in the splash gaurd.

Nico

Divided Sky

Dude, If you have Kalkwasser powder sitting around mix it up with some freshwater until its the consistancy of toothpaste. Suck it up with one of those medium syringes you get in test kits and feed it right to the aiptasia. They will eat it up at first, then they die. Dont waste you money on expensive treatment stuff. Plus you only have a few.

DamageInc

Nico, thanks. I remember seeing your r2. It's on the lid right? You have a better spot for it. I was trying to keep the wiring away from any saltwater. I get a weird shadow effect from my r2 since it's in the back left corner.

Divided sky, Thanks for the info. I have alot of tiny aiptasia that keep on popping up. I might have to use your method but if I can find an aiptasia eating nudibranch for sale (berghia verrucicornis) I will buy that and pass it on to someone else once it eats all my aiptasia.

Divided Sky

yeah, I would suggest natural predators if you have alot you might not find, but like if I get a frag with one or 2 on it, I just mix some up and kill them before they have a chance to infest my tank.

DamageInc

I know. I had no choice. I bought this fiji from a good lfs. The owner said it was from an established tank. No wonder he was selling it for $3.49 a lb. I scrubbed it when I got home but I guess I didn't get everything.

DamageInc

I started a 12 hour lighting cycle. 9am-9pm dual actinics. 10am-8pm 10k and 50/50. 9pm-9am moonlights.

My temps spiked up to as high as 81.7 during the day. Before the 12 hour lighting schedule my temps would only go from 80.0-80.9. I had to up the speed of the fans. I replaced the stock pump. Haven't been able to monitor the temps though as I have been at my gf's house the past couple of days.

Will f/u when I get home.

Nick

Yeah,

I got hair alright. I'm happy to finally get toward the end of my cycle. I'm working on the cleaner crew menue now.

I'm probably going with 2 mexican red leg hermits (Clibanarius digueti), a dozen cerith snails and a dozen nerite snails, a few trochus snails as well.

Hopefully that will be enough.

Damage

First day my nitrites and nitrates are at 0!!!! Looks like the cycle is over. I'll be heading to the Florida Marine Aquarium show tomorrow for good deals on cleanup crews.

Damage

Here are my new coral. They are under actinics. Just got them today. Don't want to hit them with the 50/50 & 10K yet. The plate is nuclear green and looks great already. The coco worm came out within 15 minutes of getting in the tank. The green mushrooms are looking much better already. I'll get pics with the 50/50 and 10K maybe tomorrow if they are all doing well.

plate.jpg

mushrooms.jpg

coco.jpg

Damage

Archived