Top Shelf Aquatics

2g Pico Reef

moolsfish

On a trip to my LFS late last week i noticed a cute FW setup and as you do, I begun wondering if I could use it to build a seriously small but facinating reef aquarium.

The setup includes,

Aquarium: 2gal. AquaOne - All Glass

Lighting: 9w 6400k compact fluorescent tube

Heating: Sera 50w

Filtration: Azoo mignon with standard media plus zeolite

Substrate: skeptical quality coral sand!!

LR: 2.5lb of the stuff

Critters: One bristle star spotted at present!

I have at 7gal Nano reef setup at home which has been up and running for just over two years now, and I hope my new little project will be able to benifit from my previous mistakes.

I'll post more pictures as things develop further......

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently in the process of making a new hood with upgraded lighting for this little guy. Check back soon for all the details....

tank looks good. i'm in adelaide aswell! what are your favourite lfs and where did you get that tank?

(sorry got a bit excited when i saw another person from adelaide)

Looks good. One small suggestion would be to ditch the ugly thermometer and get one of those digital readout thermometers that just has a small probe in the tank. They sell them at petsmart & other pet superstores over here as well as online at fosters & smith.

Keep us updated!

C

Originally posted by Thunil

tank looks good. i'm in adelaide aswell! what are your favourite lfs and where did you get that tank?

(sorry got a bit excited when i saw another person from adelaide)

Thunil, I usually always go to Seaview Aquariums, but since this one resides at work in town, all the equipment has been sourced from Adelaide Aquariums. how about you?

I havent forgot! More updates are on the way... almost finished the hood and it's ALMOST done cycling.....

Stay tuned...

newbiecarlz

if you dont mind me asking.. how much was the tank itself (and did it come with the light/filter?) my cousin loves my pico and i think this would work for him..

newbiecarlz, the tank itself was about AU$30 and they guys at adelaide aquariums put a package together including the tank, filter, light and substrate for just under AU$100

The tank has been cycling for 3.5 weeks, which is reasonable for such a small volume of water and the algae is starting to take off very rapidly. I think it's time to purchase some janitors to take care of the weeds...... but i want to finish my hood and do a water change before i buy my cleanup crew.

More updates are on the way shortly........:happy:

post-3-1112227605.jpg

Well, the hood was finally completed last night and is now in place atop the aquarium. I think it has turned out really well. The cycle has been complete for about a week now and i'm waiting on my LFS to tell me they have got my cleaning crew ready and then it will be full steam ahead....

post-3-1112670706.jpg

This shot shows the internals of the hood...it has 1x9W power compact 6500k and 1x9w blue power compact. i am waiting on 2x11w power compact fittings (a 6500k and a blue) as the hood was deigned for them but could not get hold of them yet.

post-3-1112671132.jpg

Archived