Innovative Marine Aquariums

Micro Powerheads PERFECT for NanoReefs

Dave ESPI

THESE ARE THE ONES I HAD WITH ME IN NYC...

I now swear by these.

This miniature water pump is great. It is only 1.5" in length, very quiet, only 8 watts, and has 360 degree output nozzle, 2" Sponge pre-filter, and a remote powersupply with 6 foot cord. KEEP THE HEAT-TRANSFER OUT OF YOUR TANK ! these are super strong, but also have a flow gate that you can slow the flow with to nearly nothing. Model # AQ-300 pumps 275 gph, 4 ft MAX head.

Model # AQ-200 pumps 175 Gph.

I have some running on www.aquabid.com in an auction,

IF YA WANT SOME, PM ME or hit me on AIM at Dave ESPI

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auc...umps&1036608079

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mmmm. i can finally get rid of that freakin huge rio200 that gives me nothing but headaches. don't anyone outbid me or i'll have to kill you and sell your children on ebay. :|

edit: in only abuse small furry animals, so ignore the last sentence above... as well as this one.???

I had wanted one or two of those but everywhere I looked they either didn't carry them or they were out of stock so I bought something similar. less gph but strong enough for my tank. The size is a bit smaller but it came with no parts to allow me to direct flow so now I need to find tubing that fits and construct me a spray bar of sorts.

Dave, have they updated those impellars?

The LFS in Cali I worked for sold those and most came back with rusting impellars. It took about 3 weeks for them to start rusting but they did. That was around 8 months ago and it is the same pump.

We stopped carrying them but it was/isa great idea.....so any word on the impellars?

Cameron

cameron... Ill let ya know in a week...LOL I havent seen any rusting yet.... ??? that would be ######ty.... damn it. Im SURE they updated it by now, If not Im going to get some DELRIN and make some replacements, that plastic is "liquid butter smooth" in SW and WONT rust. Im calling the Mfr tomorrow....

i bought one early this year. my lfs got his mitts on a case of the small ones and its slightly larger cousin. i bought the smaller one, of course. :P

crapped out after two days. :angry: i tossed it into my rio drawer. it ran very well when it was working tho. puts out an incredible amount of water flow for a tiny PH. mighty mouse!

tinyreef presents a good point, but missed the fact that I only sell 2 models....

i bought the smaller one, of course.  it crapped out after two days..  it ran very well when it was working tho.  puts out an incredible amount of water flow for a tiny PH.  

yeah the 100's have issues..... its an impeller design issue I think.

they trap stuff and jam.

I have only the 200 and 300 models. ;) because of just such reasons.

I dont sell or reccomend crap..LOL :D

I hope they change them. We had a rep from the company bring them into us for "testing". Sold a few, tested a few, and most went back with "our comments":D. We never really ran them long enough to evaluate long term use though since they all rusted up quick.

If they changed design and actually are sw safe and survive a time test I may be willing to try another.

Anyhow...hope they work. They are kinda cool.

Cameron

wiseasses

Does the ballast come with the pump, or do you have to buy a separate unit? One of these little things would be great to stick behind my rockwork to eliminate dead spots.

The thing comes all together. The ballast is external and hooks up to the pump inside. Pretty cool idea and I'd love to try them again but having a rusting impellar was a real downer.

Hopefully, Dave will tell us how they do in the semi-long term. Rust sucks....

Cameron

I aint even messin with them, I went to a buddys Plastic Fabrication studio. Im having him make Delrin plastic shafts for all the ones I'm selling, no extra cost.

EDIT: well upon further inspection/ destruction of an impeller shaft... I CANT take the shaft out as the magnet is fused to it. time will tell with these if they will rust. so far no.

3 weeks.... update in another 3

yeah, I would be interested in the update as well.

Dave I bought a couple of these little wonders (the 225 gph) awhile back for a tank I am setting up... I just tested them in my mixing bucket with freshwater to see if they work so have not put them to the true test yet as tank is in progress. I will say though that I am duly impressed... can't believe how much water these little mo's can pump out. I don't know anyone else that has them/uses them so just wondering if you have any feedback at all on how they hold up if used on a wave timer. Since they are indeed low voltage I am wondering if powering that little transformer on and off repeatedly will fry it. I am an electrical 'tard but wondering if something like that messes with a transformer.

Just thinking back to my single days and my 'ol swingin', rockin' "do me baby" pad with the low voltage halogen track lighting everywhere.... needed them to dim for that special MOOOOOD enhancement so installed a dimmer on the transformer and promptly cooked it or whatever... yeah! SMOKIN' BABY! , hehehe

Steve, they are indeed nifty lill heads.

the transformer is the same as what is in all other powerheads....

except it is not "IN" the head. It is a low watt/ amperage starter, and has a "soft start" due to the impeller design which is a free floating shaft. All I can say it try them on the wave timer.

worst thing is bzzzzzzz. nothing.dead head.... (ungreatfuldead head) punn intended

• 2 weeks later...

i thought i'd be a good puppy and give my promised review:

as recently stated in

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...=&threadid=5781

i have two of these....

http://aquaglobe.com/

(the 300 gph model)

in my 5.5, these bad boys run silent and have a easy pin-style flow adjustment (no getting out the pliers to twist any control knobs). they're super small and i can easily imagine them in a larger tank. the AC adaptor isn't integrated into the actual powerhead making it super tiny and won't generate any significant heat in your tank. the ouput can be rotated a full 360 degrees and ... gasp!... the suction cups actually stick.

LOOK MA! NO PUMPS! yes there are two aquaglobe micro pumps, a 50w tronic heater, and a probe from a digital thermometer SOMEWHERE in there. i'm not telling i'm not telling! and ghahahahah like my "natural" rockwork?

I'm still attempting to find out what that rubber tube w/ nub end is. I've got a few PH and each come with it - but the instructions skip right over it's purpose. Does anyone even use it?

Yeah.. tried that.. I was amazed at all the water that.. uh.. flowed... from the nossle. Maybe it was just that tube/nub.. I'll have to try one of the others. Is it common to use in SW tanks?

Archived