inTank Media Baskets

Nano Cube, overflow box Idea?

Bobalouy

Well, I have been working with carbonfiber and fiberglass for a while making car parts. And I wanted to give urathane/pastic a try. But needed some small to start out with, so why not the tank.

I was thinking about making a small overfow box for the nano cube that would fit over the stock intake grill. Basically just glue it in place

overflow.jpg

It could be fairly slim, so it wouldnt be to noticable.

Once I have the mold, it would be pretty easy to reproduce them.. what do you guys think.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks good, have you tried it out yet? I would like to find a way to keep the scum off the top. I've been doing the paper towel method but it's a pain. Please post how it works for you.

I'm also very interested. I've seen somebody else make a small overflow box that performs the exact same function, but yours is MUCH smaller. Very cool. I know I'd personally like one.

Please show pictures if you get this figured out, it would be a much cleaner design than I currently have. The black plastic would probably not have much algae growth inside it, something my clear acrylic diy has problems with.

you won't have to glue it... it will catch under the lip of the inlet and water pressure will hold it in place. That also makes it easy to take out and clean if the oppurtunity arises.

Looks good i am making one too at the time. If you check out the diy stuff you will be able to find some already made. PS is nano reef upgrading every time i try to go to general discuccion or diy etc i get under construction and a new nano reef background

Wow, I thought no one was interested, Im working on the plug for the mold, then I will need to order the materials.

I'll keep you guys posted

how much? I have a 24gallon, and have already modified mine, it seems to work but i'd like to have something a bit more professional looking, haha

I couldn't wait any longer. I built my own today. Hopefully I'll have a couple pictures up soon. It took a couple hours to fabricate and cost me just under $10 in materials. I did a similar design as NanoNoob, but used 1/8" black acrylic instead.

I did not cover the bottom inlet.

So far just a few minutes after putting this in I can already see a huge difference in surface water quality.

Please explain how this works as an overflow. Doesn't the interior water level need to be less that of the tank to really be an overflow. Seems to me that by using the stock inlet to remove water from the tank, that the mod won't really act as an overflow. How does it work in practice?

There is no stock way to completely remove water from the tank. The only way to do this would be to drill the back compartment to let water out of the tank. This mod is more of a filter box than anything. For example, check out this add-on box for the Aqua C Remora skimmers:

Skimmer box

It's like this, but without the other compartment (the one on the right) with the filter pad. This mod simply helps skim the top surface of the water much more effectively. The nano cubes are nutorious for building up surface scum and not having a good way to remove it. This is because the inlets to the rear chamber are both sucking water from below the water surface. This mod simply allows gravity to pull water from the surface and drop it down into the top inlet for the tank. I can say with 100% satisfaction that this works. My water went from having a nasty film on top of it to gone in a matter of just minutes (and that's a conservative estimate). There's absolutely no reason to perform this mod if you have the tools, time and about $10 bucks.

this wont work with the dx version, as there is only a top intake. if the level fell below the small cut outs, there would be no water entering the sump to cycle.

Archived