Pod Your Reef

Nano Cube w/ 106w... I'm very very scared...

ccjung

Hi guys.. So who is sick of me? I'm sorry i have been flooding the boards with news about my lighting, but im just stoked.....

After about a 7 hour surgery, I somehow managed to squeeze 96w into the stock hood, and added an extra 10w T5 bulb to the access door, for a total of 106w in my nano cube DX..

I'm happy right now, but very very scared.. I dont know how the cube is going to fare, and I think ill eventually kick the wattage back down to 82 or less in the hood... (the 4 24w bulbs are nearly touching.)

I upgraded the fan by mounting a heat sink on the top of the heat shield..

I've been monitoring temps in the hood... I have never measured this in the other cubes, so i have no baseline..

The tank is incredibly bright...

ccjung

Nano Cube DX

2 x 24w 50/50 Stock Ballast

1 x 24w 7100K Daylight

1 x 24w True Actinic 03

1 x 10w Daylight T5

====================

106w of fear inducing heat...

I have seen theirs, but I am looking for the 24 watt 03 act that ccjung lists as one of his lights.

Would the 28 watt 03 act work with the stock 24 watt ballast in the DX?

Uchiha, I dont remember if you still have an 88w cube, but if you do, can you take a temp reading INSIDE the splashguard area? I have some concerns about TOO much heat building up in there...

Thanks.. Now I want a via aqua tank.... Boooo!!! (Im already broke)...

i still have it but it no longer has 88w inside the hood. i do remember that the hood got "pretty" hot to the touch ... but not hot enough to burn your hand. even if the hood gets hot, i'm sure you won't have to worry too much. you already upgraded the fan so that should help dissipate the heat.

with my MH next to my PC bulb there has been no problems and they're only millimeters away. so for the integrity of the bulb i wouldn't worry too much about it... only thing i would be concerned about is the acrylic/plastic melting in the hood.

I have observed the following SPLASHGUARD temps

My T5 is outside the splashguard, so I will not include it in my temps.

48w only - 100F

72w (no actinic) - 105 F

72w (w/actinic) - 122 F

96w (all 4 tubes) - 132 F

Ive read that the maximum continous service temperature for ABS is 185F, so I think im alright..

Any insight into why the actinic causes temps to go up so high? I do know my probe is only getting a local temp, so i will move it and see if that is why (i think the probe is below the actinic, so that makes sense)..

IMHO , I THINK i have enough CFMs but Im not sure... Just wait and see I guess..

I like what you did with your Via Aqua tank... Let me know in the future if you need parts/accessories as I am a commodity axis reseller..

I rememebered ifynanceu do 100w in his nano cube, but reduced it down to 80 or something due to heat problems. That was the second generation nano cube though, so I don't know how 106 watts will do in the nano cube deluxe.

ccjung,

I am still looking at the Jalli actinic 24 watt lamp, customaquatics says the lamp is ~18" long which won't fit. Can you verify on your lamp that it is infact that long?

Thanks I appreciate your help!

Yes.. it is 13 inches...

I paid an arm and a leg $44.00 from my LFS.. I plan on becoming a Jalli Distributor also, so when kits go on sale, the actinic will be an option.. I am also going to sell parts/spares/etc.. Please stay tuned..

The bulb is: Jalli PL24W-AB (I dont have Sku but it does exist, and I am running it now...)

Archived