ReefCleaners.org

Skimmer Fits Under Hood of Cube

Moa

First off, much thanks to UnderTheRadar for a great skimmer design. This was my first DIY acrylic project. The simplicity of his design enabled me to get it put together.

I've been interested in a skimmer but wanted something that would fit under the hood of the cube. I read UTR's design and me, like others, thought it could be made to fit in the back of the cube. There are basically 3 changes to the design that make the UTR skimmer fit in the back of the cube:

1) In order to fit under the lid it needs to be shortened to 13 1/2 inches high. My water level is at 10 1/2 inches so I moved the injector up a 1/2 inch from the original plan.

2) I left the bottom off. The skimmer goes in compartment 1. The pump goes in compartment 2. I'm using the original NanoCube pump (~100gph). I used 1/2" plastic tubing to connect to the pump. It fits really snugly over the CPVC and fits over the outlet of the pump.

3) I modified the injector end cap. I just cut a piece of acrylic and used it instead of a CPVC cap. The space is tight back there so you have to be efficient with your CPVC plumbing. I use tubing that leads out the back and dumps into a container underneath my desk. No emptying a skimmer cup!

Here are some pics:

Pic of the Skimmer

8405NanoCubeSkimmer.jpg

Side Views Showing Plumbing

8405SkimmerSideView2.jpg

8405SkimmerSideView.jpg

Pic Inside the Cube

8405SkimmerinCube.jpg

I've had it running now for a few weeks. It's doing a great job and pulling out some nasty stuff. It's also very quiet. Thanks again UTR. For those with a Nanocube, it's worth giving it a try!

See original plan for more details.

The skimmer really cranks out the nasty foam. In one of the pics you can see some of that nasty brown residue on the skimmer wall. Love the way it just drains out the back too. Thanks again UTR!

dodgerblew: UTR has written about the problems with selling the skimmer given patent concerns. I am an absolutely awful DIYer. My skimmer works but is ugly (the benefit of having a bad digital camera is that the mistakes don't show up as well.) If at all possible give it a try, unless of course UTR starts selling them . . . .

Sorry, I don't have the means to decently modify the original plan. However, the original plan (see my link above) is exactly what I used with the one exception that it's 1/2" shorter overall and I raised the injector up a half inch. The real key is to have the injector right at the water level. I'd recommend measuring the water level in your tank and modifying the original plan so that the injector is right above the water level. I now have a water level that is about 1/2" below the top of the glass. Best of luck.

Maestro, I just saw that you're in Alexandria. WAMAS member? If so, I'll bring the skimmer to the next meeting if you'd like. (It's in my office on an Air Force Base, so not easy to visit.)

I'm not a WAMAS member, maybe soon, but I think I'm going to just do it this weekend. Thanks for the offer, and I'm sure people at the meeting would love to see this.

Really what I`m looking for my jbj. But I have difficulty to read the plan. The plan don't talk about width and also the pipe and injectore you use?

Do you know if someone will do it and sell it? because honnestly, I'm really interest about, but can figure some stuff on the pics and plan.

thanks

Thanks much jmt. sounds like somebody might start the production line. . . .

maestro774, i totally recommend checking out wamas. there is a great group running it. at the last meeting these was a frag workshop and eric borneman was a speaker. I think i picked up about a dozen frags free too!

koolyce, sounds like perhaps someone might make them per jmt's post. i don't know anyone that is making UTR's skimmer though, sorry. best of luck.

Maybe a step by step with schematics would be in order from someone that is literate with that kind of stuff. Any students on the boards? This type of technicial writing usually is good for a class.

caseymou-

UTR's original thread likely belongs in the hall of fame of nano-reef.com threads. all of the info there could be put into a great DIY post for an awesome skimmer (with minor mods like mine perhaps thrown in for good measure). perhaps there's someone out there . . . .

Undertheradar

I am an engineering grad student...not enough time!!! But if I ever get the chance, I would. Or at least more detailed injector photos besides the blueprints I already posted.

maestro: yes. i already used a diffuser, but now the water just looks so much better. sandbed is cleaner too (the new ceriths get some credit).

fade: I believe utr's concerns related to the injector aspect of the skimmer since aquac's patent is so general. more info in his mega thread.

After shortening the skimmer and moving the injector hole, are the dimensions for all of the internal pieces the same as in UTR's final design? If not, what are the sizes of acryclic you used?

hmm I am not sure if this would work on a DX unfortunately due to the fans in the rear of the hood along with this flat piece of plastic that goes over them.

Looks like my DX is about get hacked. I think I am going to remove the black plastic piece blocking the fans and remove the fans. Then replace the fan over compartment 3 in the DX with a highr power fan to counter the removal of one fan. Then the skimmer will fit in the DX and within the hood. And while I am at it, I think I am going to a small light over compartment 2 for the fuge.

Archived