ReefCleaners.org

Rotating powerheads -- you might already own one!

MrKrispy

I found an interesting article about modding maxijets on ReefCentral:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=326587

I cut the nozzle of a maxijet 400, and hooked it up to my Chauvet DJ lighting timer, works great!

I used the guys recommendation for the microjet, it works great!

I tried removing the straight pipe on a mini-jet, and it didn't work. I haven't tried cutting in down, as it is the only mini-jet I have. Don't know if it works great!

i've been using this mod on my maxi-jet 400 on a wave timer for about 2 months now, works great. I get plenty of random flow. I have a bowfront, so I positioned the nozzle so sometimes it will bounce off the bowfront. So sometimes it goes straight, and sometimes it hits the bowfront, sometimes it goes off in some other direction. When it hits the bowfront, it swirls all around the tank, making really random wave patterns. A really great mod!

What did you do to your microjet? I tried modding a microjet too, but it came out a disaster. I have another one that I haven't done anything to, maybe I should try what you did. How did you do it?

Also, does your maxijet make a clicking noise each time it turns on?

I just removed cut the nozzle on the microjet in half, and then the back corner off the bottom plate. How did you try to cut it?

Neither my micro nor maxi jets make the clicking noise when turning on. Try turning your powerhead over (underwater)

to let any air bubbles out.

EtOH_is_good

hmm, seems much easier than a sqwd. my mj1200 seems too much for the 20l, so cutting it up wont be a loss. need to get smaller mj in the tank. suggestions?

I know bird has a 1200 in his 10, so to each their own lol.

I don't like heavy direct flow in my tank, even the acros don't seem to like it. It probably has to do with my layout. Anyway, I have a modded maxi jet 400 on one side, and a modded micro jet on the other end. Those are both on the light timer. I have a HOB fuge and aquaclear as well.

maxijets (400, 600, 750, 1200) all share the same sized housings...too large for a nano IMO. Minijets are smaller sized (nano sized) ....has anyone done this modd to a minijet 606??

That's exactly what I have MrKrispy, Maxijet 400 and a Microjet, aquaclear, and HOB fuge.

I modded my microjet similar to what you did, but I did it with a hacksaw and an exacto knife, so it looks like crap. I got tired of it, and went back to the old one unmodded.

My biggest problem with the microjet is getting the damn thing to stay on the glass!. When it was new, it was fine, but now it won't stay for anything. I stick it, and within a day, it falls. I've tried cleaning the glass really well where I stick it, which used to work, but now it doesn't. Anyone have any ideas for brackets for Microjets? They're a pain because the intake is in the back.

side note : I had the same not sticking problem with my microjet. I would always clean off the suction cups but it still wouldnt hold...the by a stroke of genius i wipped off the back of the tank and now it sticksX)

Originally posted by trmiv

That's exactly what I have MrKrispy, Maxijet 400 and a Microjet, aquaclear, and HOB fuge.

I modded my microjet similar to what you did, but I did it with a hacksaw and an exacto knife, so it looks like crap.  I got tired of it, and went back to the old one unmodded.

You only removed it because of how the bottom looked? When would you see it?

because of how it looked and how it worked. with the maxi-jet I can rotate the output so that it hits the glas first, and swirls. with the micro-jet, it came out either straight, or right at my corals, it just didn't work that great. unlike the maxi-jet which seems to change direction almost every restart, the microjet only did it maybe once out of every 10 times it started.

Funny I just realized my microjet in my QT has fallen off 3 times in 4 days. Ugh.

For being micro why are the power cords bigger than the others?

I have no idea. If that cord is even the slightest bit twisted or off in one direction, it will just rip the powerhead off the wall in a day.

yeah micro-jets are always falling in my tank...I have a 44g pentagon with 2 sawed-off MJ 1200s and 2 sawed-off MiniJet 606s...the 1200s click on me from time to time...just haven't had time to mod it...the clicking noise is the blades of the impeller shooting forward and stopping at the end of the impeller shaft...you can take the impeller out and super glue (gel) the blades to the end...problem solved...just too lazy to pull mine out :D The MiniJets don't cover as much as the larger MJ units...but I just have these down low in my tank to cover some dead spots...removing the output tube disperses the current a lot...so it isn't as direct...I did these mods 3-4 months ago when I found the link on RC...using a wavemaster pro...really like the results...nice rolling current...I actually only use the gentle setting as that is plenty...and you gotta love the night mode on the wavemasters.

billpa

OxInYourBox

I have some pics on my homepage of some holders I built for MiniJet's from the HOT piece from the MaxiJet's. Server's down and I leave for vacation in a few minutes but I'll post them when I get back.

Von digity

If anyone is interested, I could probably fabricate some black ABS plastic HOT style mounts for them.

EtOH_is_good

yeah, baby! i just cut my mj1200. stopping and starting changes flow as advertised. need to get that dj switching thing now. question now is do i really want to drill for a sqwd?

A mount might be right up my alley Von digity. This freaking powerhead will not stay put for more than 2-3 hours now. It's driving me crazy.

Mister Krispy, I've got 5 on it. Count it. 1. 2. 3. 5.

I've also got an idea. I saw some dude on RC makes acrylic brackets for maxi jets or whatever. I'm thinking of like, thermoformed/vacuum formed ABS plastic holders. That way they'd fit like gloves or really tight jeans, whatever you prefer. I'll have to make some prototypes or something and show you guys. Sorry for kinda hijaking this thread, but the topic of "my suction cups suck at sucking" came up.

I'll post somemore about it on a separate thread when I have a prototype (so your thread doesn't get jacked anymore.)

BTW, how much was your chauvet timer? I was looking at ebay, and the cheapest I saw was 30, and I'm such a cheap bastage.

Brackets sound good or baskets, just not too tight in the crotch :0

I paid $30 for the Chauvet timer shipped, couldn't find it cheaper. I figured it was better than $80 for a used wavemaster. The corals don't seem to mind the 2 minute switch though.

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by MrKrispy

I found an interesting article about modding maxijets on ReefCentral:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=326587

I cut the nozzle of a maxijet 400, and hooked it up to my Chauvet DJ lighting timer, works great!

I used the guys recommendation for the microjet, it works great!

I tried removing the straight pipe on a mini-jet, and it didn't work. I haven't tried cutting in down, as it is the only mini-jet I have. Don't know if it works great!

I just cut off the nozzle on my MAxijet 900 and it is not creating any radom flows! Something wrong with my mod? I am using on a Natural Wave Wavemaker as recommended....

arrrggg... I thought this is an easy mod...

please advice!!!

Archived