ReefCleaners.org

5 gal minibow fuge?

bjk

would a 5 gal minibow make a good fuge for a 10 gal? how would i go about converting it and doing the plumbing, i want it next to the 10 gall.

• 4 months later...

I'm trying to get the parents to let me build this.... my plans are to have a small powerhead pushing water into the fuge which will be a little higher than my 20L, then it'll flow back down and into the tank through a tube. I am not sure what i'll use to light it, because the hood on the mb 5 states that it is not for use w/ saltwater. I may possibly get a jalli strip light or use a Normal flourescent from my 10 gal to light it

Here is the plan, use a mini jet 404, or something small and equivalent, I am going for around 100 gph or less.... it will be pumped through a tube and up into the minibow 5, then it will exit through a hole w/ a larger tube connected to it. this will gravity flow back down into my main tank.

That is how my refugium works on my nano cube. I have a 404 pump in one of the back compartments pumping water into the fuge. Then I built an overflow chute (kinda like a slide) to flow the water back into the nano cube. I think this is the best way to do it. Mine works great and I have had no problems.

Yup, my dad is going to help me on this one, he said we can buy irrigation hose at the hardware store that will be black and look really good. I just need to know where i can buy a bulkhead. Today is part of the shopping day... so i have to go and search

What a coincidence. i just made a fuge out of a 5g minibow for my 10g yesterday. it wasnt that hard, and is working great. i have it behind my 10g and about 4 inches higher. i put 12lb of lr in it and some macro. i also got a 19w curly compact flourescent and put in the hood. it was only 6.99 at home depot and is 6500k let me caution you though leave the reflector on and loosen the push button light switch so you can fit it in there. i tried it without the reflector and almost melted the hood. it still gets hot but not too hot to hold your hand on it. as far as the setup i got two .5 inch bulkheads at my lfs and used a pancake drill bit to drill the back(drill very slowly stopping to let it cool down every 20 seconds or so whenever it looks like it is melting instead of shaving the acrylic) and support underneath the acrylic with a piece of wood. i got a few pvc fitings and a little hose and set it up, using the cheapo pump that comes with the minibow. the flow is so low that i did not put any baffles in the fuge. i pump the water up and it drains back down. ill post some pics when i borrow a digital cam maybe this weekend

Awsome! that is very similar to what i have planned, i am going to have it on the side, but very similar! Plus i am painting the purple plastic on my hood to a silver to match the coralife aqualight on my 20L. I just need to order my pump from drsfostersmith.com and buy my bulkheads, unless i can find a better deal at a local lfs this weekend.. i doubt it.....

Originally posted by Lutzracing

That is how my refugium works on my nano cube. I have a 404 pump in one of the back compartments pumping water into the fuge. Then I built an overflow chute (kinda like a slide) to flow the water back into the nano cube. I think this is the best way to do it. Mine works great and I have had no problems.

What did you use for the overflow chute?

do u think u could do the same thing with a glass 5 gallon tank as well? i am either thinking about getting an ac500 or doing something similar to what u guys have done

I went to a local hobby store meaning one that sells model cars and train sets etc. and bought a piece of sheet plastic. You can buy it in different thicknesses and sizes. Then I just cut it to the shapes I wanted and super glued it together.

the only bad thing about trying to do it with a glass tank is that it will be harder for you to drill the tank. if you want a fuge without drilling you may want to just get the ac 500.

yeah that is what i believe i will do, i already have a spare 5 gal glass tank sitting around though, but u know what i think that i will turn that tank into a nano also

Archived