SaltCritters.com

Help W/ Closed loop scwd

birdman204

OK, so Ive got the plumbing down, but I need to know, for my 10g, i wanna run a closed loop scwd, 1 return on each side of the tank, 3/4" returns, probably split into 2 lockline pieces on each return, if not, just open pvc. My question is, how powerful of a pump do i need. I wanna run the output straight up to the scwd(if I have to mount the pump so the line goes this way, so be it), above tank height, "T" off from the scwd, and have 2 90 degree bends after the scwd so the pvc points down, then hook up the lockline to it.

I was looking at the quiet one 1200, 296GPH i belive. Would this be a good choice , or would i need more flow due to the scwd, and the 90 degree bends?

Also, the intake can have numerous 90's w/o affecting performance? ( im planning on having 3 90 degree bends in the intake.

Please help me out with any logistical probs!!! please thanks B)

the SCWD and elbows will significantly reduce flow as will spreading the return over four ports? i might look at a mag3 or 5 (will maintain flow better at head than the quietone i suspect). but then it does matter what kind of tank you're going for! SPS, softies, where you at?

tg

Some SPS Monti Dig and Motni Cap, maybe some hydnophora, Some Zoos down low, running 2x65 PC's over the tank, W/ the scwd, only 2 outlets will be running one one side of the tank at a time. Will I still need to go w/ something stronger?

I dont wanna go w/ the utubes, cuz it will cause more bends in my system. Can Anyone approve my drawing? It is for a 10 gallon, the pump will sit on the same table as the tank, so height will be about 11 inches, straight up, the about another 12 inches of tubing after the scwd. The scwd will sit high up, above the tank, again, to minimize the 90 Degree turns. any other thoughts on this ? Thanks for your input twin and Sea!

Oh Yeah, the quiet one has inlets and outlets of 1/2 inch, I wanna run 3/4 from the scwd to the tank ( the scwd also has a 3/4 inch inlet, so i need to widen the tube. Will I run into any probs with this if the outputs, are split into 2 and locklined, will i not get enough flow if I dont do this!!! Auugggh please help thanks!

What if you raised your pump up to the level of the intake? Then you will have fewer 90 degree turns. The 90's might not even make that much difference.

I suggest you put a ball valve in between the pump and the SCWD, so you can adjust your flow if you find it is too strong.

I ordered the u-tube thing from Marine Depot, stupidly, I accidentally ordered only one (for my SCWD). So I'm going to use 1/2" pcs for my returns. WHy 1/2" instead of 3/4" ?? Well it seems that the inner diameter of the 1/2" PVC is about the same as the ID of the SCWD outputs. Maybe I should have got some 3/4", I dunno. We'll see! I'm going to use my SCWD on my return pump though (10g sump on a 10g tank).

V

Originally posted by birdman204

Soooo.  nobody has any more helpful hints or tips for me?

:(

Yeah. Slam that thing together and see how it works. Nothing like first hand experience. If you need to modify it, it will only cost a few pesos for PVC anyhow. Get after it.

Sweet. I am gonna go for it. Putting the pump up high may not help due to the placement of the rest of my part, plus the pump is gonna be the bottom of my support ( it will rest on the table the tank is on). If all is well, I will post a little movie of it working, maybe i can build a few extras?

It's was only on for an hour, at night, before everything in the tank went nuts. My Brain was opened HUGE, Its sweepers were sweepin :D My xenia was goin nuts, and looked amazing , My gorgonian had almost every single polyp opened up. usually its only about 2/3 open. Next week , Crammin a 70 w MH in there w/ the retro from the DIY forum.

It's not the size of the wave, it's the motion of the ocean......well, the waves are pretty damn big in this minibow and I love it B)

Nice shots. How'd you get the same pic to load over and over?

How about a few shots of the plumbing setup and back of the tank? birdwuss, it's difficult to see the water current shifting!

I figured you could look at the surface and see the water difference, but, hey , maybe I do need new glasses.Lemme see where's my ghetto fabulous picture of the back.......Ah yes, at home on the Hard drive there, I will load it tonight, actually, i need to take a new one, too much glare in it if I remember. But, basically, it looks like the drawing up above, all I did for now is clamp the top horizontal tube along the back of my refugium, I did it as a temp setup, cuz I want to redo the pvc that is visible, and add a slightly larger ( maybe 350gph instead of 296) and quieter ( quiet one my a$$ ) pump, but It really does kick a$$ and I really may sell them here on Nano-reef. depending on interest, I do have a video clip of the wave change but I dont know how to get it on this site, and I dont have a site to host it.

Originally posted by birdman204

it looks like the drawing up above,  all I did for now is clamp the top horizontal tube along the back of my refugium, I did it as a temp setup, cuz I want to redo the pvc that is visible, and add a slightly larger ( maybe 350gph instead of 296)  and quieter ( quiet one my a$$ ) pump

When I finalize the setup, of course it will ( insert smilie cuz I promised no more smilies)

I put a SCWD with a Mag 7 and a ball valve in a closed loop system with flex PVC coming out off the SCWD hooked to the adjustable "goose neck" black plastic returns on a 20L tank. I closed the ball valve only slightly. It works very well. I am amazed at the heat the Mag produces and am glad it isnt in the tank. I borrowed the design from someone at reef central. Works great and I never would have come up with it on my own. I would chunk something big (Mag 5 at least) on the 10 gallon and tone it down if needed.

Here are the pics of the temporary setup. I am having a minor microbubble prob, maybe someone can tell me why PVC is tight, i think i hear air before the pump impeller. other than that , everythings great, gonna make a stand and cabinet this weekend?

tank all perked up. evedrything looks great. all polyps open, they look "stiff" in the current. I am very happy barring the minor adjustments this weekend. anyone thinking about it should do it. 2 PH's at 20$ a piece can't compare. Double it and you have wave motion for your nano.

dacoolguychris - That's where I got the idea. Well today, I replaced the pump w/ a mag 3. LOVE IT!!! Perfect amount of flow, an no more air bubbles. I Live in laguna niguel . I work in irvine and have a tank just started there, I will have plenty of hermit frags :D soon if you need, they are almost done cleaning up. Also frag swap available tooB)

Dacoolguychris

we'll i haven't started my corals yet.. i was gonna get some for my 29 gal setup.. but last minute found a deal on the 40 gal.. so i gotta build up that tank.. and tear down the other.. so.. no trade yet :-(.. hehe keep in touch though

Archived