Innovative Marine Aquariums

Red Sea Pico

yankeereefer

yankeereefer

Went to the deathco sale tonight - Came home with an oceanic cube, a 20H and a little RedSea MoonGlow pico

The pico was in their clearance bin - It'll be a cool little desktop tank (I hope) - Not sure what to do with it yet. Tank is maybe a .5g acrylic

First thing I need to find is a new bulb for the light fixture - Currently it's a 7w pc "blue" light, hence the name "Moonglow"

Has anyone seen or know where I might find replacement bulbs for this? I want a actinic and daylight bulb, but not necessarily a 50/50 - Would require another fixture though -

I went to the LFS and saw coralife and eclipse bulbs, but they were too long-

Another alternative would be to use the other half hood light that I created when I did the perfecto mod for the ac fuge on my 10g - I could use a 50/50 or just a 13w philips daylight.

Thanks in advance for for any thoughts on the subject(s)

Yankee

yankeereefer

So I did a little web searching - It appears the tank come with what is called the Azoo Firefly - I have one place (west coast) that I'm gonna call in a couple hours -

Another question has arisen though - What is PL lighting? The specs on the light say that the fixture comes with a 7w/13w PL black light bulb

Here's a link: Azoo Firefly

I'm hoping that I can find a similarly sized "daylight" style bulb

Thanks for anyone's help!

edit - another search has determined that PL lighting is a horticultural type light - Not sure of the spectrum available - still searching

not another tank :rolleyes: I would just go with a little light fixture. Azoo's aren't made of the best quality from what I have heard. I wouldnt go with that ghetto perfecto mod either. Its great as a fuge light, but not really for a display.

yankeereefer

it's probably not the greatest of tanks I agree, but it was on clearance and figured it'd be fun to goof off with -

What's wrong with my ghetto hood? The fuge has one and The Colonel's got one too

Would use the stock light but it's blue / black in color

I think the tank looks cool. I just like the whole setup to look nice too. Its perfect for the fuge since its not as visible. It makes a great cheap hood but I just like the cleaner look. Why not enclose the light mod into a rectangular prism light strip that rests on the edges of the tank? I think that would look cleaner imo. Keep us posted. :)

15-and-6-GAL-NANO

you still need regular light it would look stupid with just actenics or even worse if thats just a black light. but that tank could be cool.

yankeereefer
you still need regular light it would look stupid with just actenics or even worse if thats just a black light. but that tank could be cool.

Yeah - I'm going to try and find a reg light - Maybe another fixture and run actinics too

you can take the light apart and put a coralife 9watt 10k bulb in the Azoo ballast i did it for my tank before i took it down and it looked way better, you could make a hood for it

yankeereefer

Found a replacement light:

water test (the beer can is only for comparison purposes):

DSC01667.jpg

Skipping cycle - added livestock :D

DSC01665.jpg

I called azoo, apparently there is a 50/50 and an actinic that I can get for this fixture, but there out of stock till mid sept.

I can wait - I don't think my first aquisition has much of a lighting requirement

Yankee

yankeereefer

I emptied the tank as it passed water test - Going to local reefer tonight to p/u LR and LS for the 10g-20H conversion - Maybe he'll have a couple nice pieces of rubble for this tank too.

I want to mod the stem on the light to lower it closer to the tank itself. I also have some scrap acrylic so I can fashion a lens cover to protect it- Nothing will be started though until next week when my visitors are back out of town

Welllll, maybe I could add water and the LR if i get some and perhaps a hermit and I do have a couple zoas..................Dang it, Argent!

Lastly, I'm gonna add this thread to my sig

YR

I was afraid I'd screw up the light on my pico if I started hacking it to get it closer to the surface, so I just made a holder on the side.

setupc040206post.jpg

I think I got my bulbs from Hellolighting.com. It's a 9W 6500K

tankshot040806post.jpg

Apparently enough for Xenia, this is 4 months later:

tankshot072806.jpg

muhahahahaha

I just took down my quart and my 3 gallon to try and lower the number of overall tanks I had -- I love my 1.5G tank - it seems to be the perfect size - but this one looks sweet too..

yankeereefer

Nothing to update right now on this one-

I had visitors all weekend long and now I'm dealing with a summer cold

I have some LR/LS cooking right now - The LR I got last week was covered in GHA - I have scrubbed most of it off already - Some of this sand and rock will go into the red sea pico (lil' Dixie) and the rest is for my 10g to 20H upgrade.

riotj: I found your pico - That looked great while it was running! The upgrade looks fantastic too!

YR

yankeereefer

Couldn't stand my threads falling by the wayside

I modded the clamp on light to shorten the stem and make the fixture lower to the water - What a PITA!! Dremel is a reefer's best friend

I pulled some LR from my ac fuge and a little LS from the bucket that's cookin' - Here's what I ended up with:

FTS

DSC01748.jpg

Closer shot

DSC01751.jpg

I was really just goofing around - I'm going to have to disturb the setup once more to put the hydor heater in the LS - Glad I have the pix, cuz I kinda like the 'scape

YR

Yankee,

Awesome rockwork! I would definently leave it like that.

Are you using the stock filter?

texx

yankeereefer

Thanks Guys!

Irish - Yepper it's the stock filter

Argent - You don't have to worry - The 4 tanks I'm running now is more than enough!

I checked temps before turning off the light. While lights were on, temp was right at 79-80 and when I woke this morning, temp was 78-79 - This is without the heater in the tank - I'll have to monitor this over the next couple of days.

YR

Archived