Striped green mushrooms
    Assorted Zooanthids
    Other mushrooms
    Frogspawn
    Green/blue Ricordea florida

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a 26 gallon bowfront tank that's been in my storage unit for some time now, so I've decided to upgrade my 11g Via Aqua tank into it. :D

26gal.jpg

There she is, in all her dusty glory. B)

The Plan:

I'm going to be moving to Gilbert, SC (southwest of Columbia ~20min) in a few months, so I'm going to set it up at my sister's house now (right down the street from where I'm moving to) so I will have an established tank to put all my coral from my NanoCube in until the Nano-Cube re-establishes its self. I'm going to use the sand and rock from my 11 gal Via Aqua tank for the initial setup. I will get more LR for it soon.

_IGP2556.jpg

Lighting:

I ordered THIS light from DRS Foster & Smith Saturday. It shipped today and wil get here thursday. :happydance: Thursday evening I'm going to leave here for SC, just for the weekend, and set the tank up at my sister's house. If the light doesn't come in thursday, :tears: I'm going to use a 36watt fluorescent fixture I have for it until I can make another trip to bring the light up.

Filtration:

I have a Red Sea Prizm skimmer on my ViaAqua tank that I'm going to take with me. I also have a heater for it. I'm going to pick up a Aqua Clear filter and palm light from Petco :rant: tonight for a fuge. I'm going to add the baffles and eggcrate to it. I'm also going to get some eggcrate for the top of the tank. I want a open top, but I also want to be able to get a Firefish. fingerscrossed

Livestock:

The ViaAqua tank has a chromis and two skunk cleaners in it. Do you think the tank will have a mild enough cycle to be able to put the shrimp and fish in right away? I don't want to kill my skunk cleaners, and I don't think my NanoCube can handle the bio load of two more shrimp (for a total of one blood shrimp, two skunk cleaners, a maroon clown, and quite a few snails.)

:happydance::happydance::happydance:

Thanks O_R.

Thanks PetDoc on the headsup. I'm aware that Petco's a little more expensive than other people. I really don't have the time to order one and didn't think about getting it until after I ordered the light.

was thinking about getting a bowfront - will be tagging along. What type of corals will you be keeping with that sweet light?

Very nice!
looks good

Thanks for the kind words.

was thinking about getting a bowfront - will be tagging along. What type of corals will you be keeping with that sweet light?

I wish to keep soft corals (leather, gsp, kenya, xenia-all from my old tanks), and some LPS (I want a frogspawn, open brain, candycane, and a couple others.), and maybe some SPS later down the road.

UPDATE!!!

I went to PetCo :rant: today and found out that the AC 110 costs $89.99!!! That's outrageous! Needless to say, I didn't get it. I'm going to order it from fosters along with the palm light. I did, however pick up a PH, Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrtite test kit-$30.00; an Aquatic Gardens 50 watt heater-on sale for $8.00; Oceanic Sea Salt mix (50 gal jug)-$22.00; and two Aquatic Gardens five gallon natural seawater jugs (says it's phosphate, nitrate, nitrite, and disease free)-$10.00 each. I also got two pairs of Hurley board shorts from Marshalls for $20 each, but that's another story.

Any way, I think I'm going to go to SITC for some RO water for setting the tank up. I'm not going to make the mistake of using tap water. The only thing I don't like is that my sister's house has HORRIBLE water pressure. I will most likely have to get a booster pump for the RO/DI unit I'll be getting soon.

Sea_Of_Treachery

where did you get the 11g via aqua? im looking into this tank. custom aquatic has them for 130 but they don't say how much shipping is

Hey halfpint, if you've got a petsmart near you, you could print out a copy of what they have their online price as (39.99) and take that paper with you to the store and they'll do a pricematch on it. i just did that around here (philadelphia) last week without any problems. This way you don't have to wait for it to get delivered, plus, you can start modding it and have it ready when things do show up...hth

any updates???

I just gave an update today, but here goes:

UPDATE:

All I can post for now is that I tried the test kit out on my 12g NC. I also found out that my light is in MN right now on its way here. I am going to be getting some eggcrate tonight or tomorrow forthe lid. I'll post my "how-to" on cutting it for a bowfront tank.

where did you get the 11g via aqua? im looking into this tank. custom aquatic has them for 130 but they don't say how much shipping is

I got it from my brother in-law. I have someone that's interested in it, but if they don't buy it, you can have the tank, a small power filter, and the light for $75. (plus shipping). Just let me know if you're interested. I wouldn't be able to ship it until after I move, because I'm swamped busy right now.

Hey halfpint, if you've got a petsmart near you, you could print out a copy of what they have their online price as (39.99) and take that paper with you to the store and they'll do a pricematch on it. i just did that around here (philadelphia) last week without any problems. This way you don't have to wait for it to get delivered, plus, you can start modding it and have it ready when things do show up...hth

Wish I would have read this a minute ago. I just placed the order for the filter and galexy light on fosters. It will get here bythe weekend. I'll have to do my modding in SC.

I picked up the eggcrate from HomeDepot last night. I'm going to get the aquarium from storage tomorrow morning and cut it tomorrow afternoon. I'll post pictures of the whole process. I might not e able to post updates until monday since I'll be out of state and I don't know that my sister has a computer with internet.

About the AC prices. I don't know about PetCo, but with Petsmart you can print the product with price and they will honor the online prices. I got my AC70 $20 off!

HTH

texx

Yeah I got my AC110 for half of the in-store price. All of their powerheads/heaters are cheaper too. My cheap little power filters for my Quarantine tanks were half-price or so with the online price and the 12" incandescent strip light is only $6.99! (It makes a nice little HOB fuge light or QT light with a screw in Compact Fluorescent bulb) Can't beat saving money!

About the AC prices. I don't know about PetCo, but with Petsmart you can print the product with price and they will honor the online prices. I got my AC70 $20 off!

HTH

texx

Yeah I got my AC110 for half of the in-store price. All of their powerheads/heaters are cheaper too. My cheap little power filters for my Quarantine tanks were half-price or so with the online price and the 12" incandescent strip light is only $6.99! (It makes a nice little HOB fuge light or QT light with a screw in Compact Fluorescent bulb) Can't beat saving money!

:D

Yeah, Swinger1121 already told me about that. Too bad you were all too late. Now my filter isn't going to come in until monday. The day AFTER I come back here. I had it shipped to her place expiditied and it still won't make it there in time.

I got in at my sister's house at 3 AM. I set the tank up without any snags. The fish was swimming around and looked healthy. I just need to get some fresh water to finish filling the tank. I need around 6 more gallons and I will be able to power up the skimmer. The water was 79 degrees when I got it all in the tank. I'll check the params this morning and post them. I haven't been able to fire the lamp up yet, but you know that I sure am excited.

I'll post pictures of the setup when I get back home Monday. I'm using my sister's father in-law's laptop with wireless broadband. It's giving me laptop fever.

The tank's looking good. It turs out that there were several kenya frags and some mushrooms hiding away on the rocks I moved. So, I have some mushrooms and kenya in there now. All corals are doing well and opening all the way.

I tested the water and it tested fine. PH is a little low (7.5 I think), No Ammonia, Nitrite, and a little Nitrate, but nothing to worry about.

The chromi is eating and looks healthy. The temps are running around 81 in the hottest part of the day. I'll be bringing my skunk cleaners up the next time I make a trip. The tank is crystal clear and since I didn't get the AC 110 in Saturday, I'll have to make the AC 110 fuge the next time I visit.

The next step is to buy an RO/DI unit.

Yup. I have many. I just need to download and resize them. I might not get them posted till tomorrow.

Just realised that I haven't posted pictures yet. I'll have to do that soon. I can't take new pictures since it's in SC and gas isn't cheap.

Archived