Coral Vue Hydros

My First Pico - 10 Minutes Old

The Keeper

1/30/05 - New updated pics and info (page 2)

2/04/06 - Added Cleanup Crew (page 3)

2/14/06 - Horrific Tradgedy Strikes! (page 3)

3/08/06 - Update, new corals and pictures (page 3)

Hey everyone, im new to salt water tanks. But a friend gave me a 1.5g hexagonal gold fish tank, so I decided to throw some live sand and rock in there.

I got some live rock, not sure what kind, and live sand from a reef tank at a local acquarium shop. For now all I have is a powerjet powering the undergravel filter for filtration. But I'll probably try adding some sort of filtration when i add the cleaning crew in 10 days.

This is the tank, about 5 minutes ago. Normal light bulb for now but I ordered a 25w 50/50 for it.

My first saltwater tank. :)

Any comments, advice? I wanted to keep some Green Star Polyps, Zoas, A mushroom coral, a goby, and a few small snails, or hermit crab. But im rreally not sure about what i want to put in it. i need to learn more..

DSC00443.jpg

DSC00444.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

undergravel filters are a no-no in sw tanks. take it out.

i would have gone with a more shallow sand bed.

nice toothbush.

Yep... that UG is not the way to go.... esp in such a small tank.

A 2.5 gallon is a bit harder than it may seem..... look at the pico contest threads for examples of what is working and who dropped out.

he knows. that is why he said he ordered a new bulb. READ THE THREAD BEFORE POSTING

This is the tank, about 5 minutes ago. Normal light bulb for now but I ordered a 25w 50/50 for it.

It's not a 2.5g tank, its a 1.5g!! Tiny little thing. As for cleaning, I was hoping a snail would take care of cleaning the tank, if not I have a soft bristle brush on a stick that can get almost anywhere.

I didnt know that UG filters weren't used in SW. Last time I was into acquariums, they were used in both. What should I get for filtration? Because of the light cover its tough to get any other kind of filtration in there. What do you guys think I should do. Can I disconnect the powerhead and leave the UG filter down there, I really dont feel like pulling the rock and all the sand out of there.

You could leave the UG filter down there and disconnect the powerhead and the tubes for it unless you want the tubes coming out still. I would just leave the filtration to the LR and LS. If you want some other type of filtration as well try the Red Sea Nano Filters. They are pretty small and you could try and hang it on the back of your tank. I wouldn't use filter floss though unless you use it only for a short period of time. I would just use the filter to run checmical filtration like Chemi-Pure, Purigen, Phosguard. Things like that, but it's your choice.

Here is a link to the Nano filter if you are interested:

http://petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?R=4427&...familyID=12148&

Ok, I removed the undergravel and now its just rock and sand with a powerhead moving everything around.

How long should I let this thing cycle for? Should I just buy water testers and just wait for it to zero out. After that how should my first few water changes look like? And how much time after that do I start adding the cleaning crew.

Also what do I do for filtration??? Very important that I find something that can fit on there to filter. I have a 25w heater and a digital thermometer on the way as well. Also just got my bulb in at the shop today so i got to go get it. I think its a 25w screw in 50/50.. hope it looks good.

i have the exact tank as a nano. the 20W mini-compact doesn't fit in the hood, but the 10W is perfect (i have tons of zoos, mushrooms, and 2 types of montipora, all doing wanderfully). i use a red sea nano filter with purigen and sea gel, but if i were you i would use an aquaclear 20--they just fit on the frame. to fit a power filter, you'll have to cut about 1" off the back of the canopy with a dremel and turn the light backwards. if i were you, i would get a hammer and break the lr up a little bit (doesn't hurt anything), and try and keep it off the front three sides of the tank. you will get brown algae on the glass from the cycle, so make sure you can fit your hand in the tank to clean the glass. use loctite super glue gel (like $2-3 at walmart) to glue frags to the rock. livestock wise, i have a yellow clown goby. you could do any type of clown goby (make sure they're eating before you buy!), neon goby, redhead goby, etc. one SMALL turbo (like 3/4") does a pretty good job for me, as well as 2 blue leg hermits. these tanks make awesome picos! good luck.

Ok, i've been reading up a little and I've learned alot.

So here we go.

1) I removed the UG filter completely. It now looks to have about an inch layer of live sand.

2) I flipped the rock around, now it touching nothing.

3) The powerhead is running, and I ordered the Powerclear 20.

Timeline

Day1 - Added LS, LR, Water and Power head. They all came from the same tank, even the water.

Day10 - Check water, Assuming the Tank is cycled and nitrates, nitrites, ammonium, ph, salinity and specific gravity are all within spec, On day 11...

Day11 - 30% Water Change, Check Water Again, if its still all good, on day 12...

Day12 - Add clean-up crew: 2 Tiny Blue Leg Hermits, a Turbo Snail, and maybe another kind of snail.

Day 20 - Start adding my first Corals, probably some zoas, shrooms, etc.

Day 30 - Add a Shrimp and a neon blue goby.

What does everyone think, i need more advice... judge my setup, whats the best stuff to put in the filter?

i would add the shrimp and goby first, so you can balance out the water at it's full bioload before adding corals. that way, there's less of a chance of a chemical spike that could harm your corals.

i have that same tank keeper! personally I love it, though so far I have struggled to get good growth out of my corals. I have a 10W 50/50 in the hood, but for some reason its not giving me the output i need. Pets unlimited, have you done anything else to your hood so that light can penetrate better??? I will admit though, i love this tank....... perfect for my little mantis's mansion. ;) Keep us updated with pictures! Dont forget water changes!!!! oh, and invest in at least a basic test kit....... its worth it when you dont know whats going wrong with your tank but you know somethings not right.

tanner g.

Ok, so I tested my tank today, its approximately 72 hours old. It's been cycling without a light, with only a powerhead, and LS/LR for any kind of filtration...

I used basic test strips, so I dont know salinity, or ammonium.

Nitrate - 25ppm

Nitrite - .25 ppm

Total Hardnesss - 250ppm

Total Alkalinity - 240ppm

pH - 8.0

I dont really know how accurate these little test strips are.

I'm going to buy a thermometer tommorrow to see what my water temps are and to determine whether or not I need to buy a small submersible heater.

The 10-Watt Mini Compact 50/50 Bulb is on the way, so is the Hagen Ultra Clear 20 power filter. Should I run it the way it comes? Or a different Media?

Should I expect an Algae bloom soon? So far the tank looks identical as to the day i made it. I noticed a little coral that had been on a small rock. I never saw it before, but I think its dead now, from lack of light.

I'm topping off with distilled water, should I be thinking about a water change yet? Or is that only after the tank is done cycling?? I'm sorry for all the noob questions, I didnt even see the beginners forum when I first made this thread.

Test Strips aren't as accurate as Liquid tests kits, but it is better than nothing. In the AC 20 you could run a Chemi Pure, Purigen, or a Sponge, but make sure you rinse the sponge out at least once a week. You could also turn the filter into a mini fuge throw in alittle sand, some lr rubble, and maybe alittle Macro algae and you all set.

Earlier you said you were going to add a Shrimp and a Neon Goby. In my opinion a 1.5g tank is not big enough for a Neon Goby or any fish really. Maybe a few Sexy shrimp.

If you leave it as is you might be fine, but not for some of the stuff you mentioned. Try your luck and bumb some unwanted reef inhabitants and put them in your tank. Get some snails, crabs and grow aptasia! It might not be the best stocked tank, but it should be cool to watch them.

Ok, so I dont really know enough to make a decision on what filter media to use. The Ultra Clear 20 is pretty small, can it only handle one media? If so, what do you guys think is the best choice. I got alot of LR/LS in this small tank. Chemi-Pure, Purigen, Sea Gel, I dont know about any of this, are they all about the same? What about the media that comes with the Ultra Clear 20.

this link might give you some ideas although take into mind that this guy is keeping HARD TO KEEP animals in this tank and can move them from a 280 tank to his 2 gallon tank but again it might give you some ideas

http://melevsreef.com/pico.html

its a very informative site about someone who started as a total newbie and documented everything

Thanks for the replies everyone, keep them coming.

Any opinions on filter media for my ultra clear 20??

What about water changes? When do I do my first one? After the cycle ends or before???

make the 20 a small fuge. with sand, couple pieces of rock, some cheato algae, and a small light for the chaeto. for the water changes, after about 3 weeks, the every week or two after.

make the 20 a small fuge. with sand, couple pieces of rock, some cheato algae, and a small light for the chaeto. for the water changes, after about 3 weeks, the every week or two after.

Will this take care of all my filtration needs??? Can you actually turn that tiny filter into a fuge??

Imho, AC 20 is too small for a fuge. We also don't use general media in our tanks.

Run it mainly for water movement. If you want, you could put in carbon, purigen or whatever if you feel it's needed.

I'd just do corals, no fish, but perhaps some small inverts.

Archived