Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My very first saltwater: Nuvo 16g

temet vince

temet vince

College student here at the University of Arkansas. Go hogs!

Just bought it today. I've been wanting my own tank for about 3 years now, and I finally got it! I'm seeding some live rock; I don't really know how long that takes, and I'll be adding more later.

Got it all set up and noticed there's a chip in the glass. Are small chips covered up by silicone a danger to integrity of the tank or is there a significant leaking risk?

(Also please ignore my empty apartment. Just moved in and haven't gotten furniture yet.)

_MG_0259.jpg

_MG_0263.jpg

_MG_0264.jpg

_MG_0266.jpg

_MG_0268.jpg

_MG_0272.jpg

temet vince

Made my first big mistake. :( A packet of liquid came with the tank. It said to add it to the tank and it will help it clear up quicker. I didn't even think about it, just added it.

I hope I didn't add anything that will kill the microorganisms on the live rock. :S

TeflonTomDosh

This thread shows how addicted and psychotic most reefers are. You and myself as well would much rather have a dope a$$ tank vs. furniture in a new apt. Sweet! Welcome!

TheDrunkenClam

LOL agreed. I too have put my reef setup before the necessities (groceries) haha but as far as the chip in your glass I'm not going to lie I'm a bit concerned about that. If it were me I would have returned it and got a different one. Nothing could be worse than sitting there looking at your tank and constantly wondering if and when that small chip could turn into a disaster :o no matter the size of the chip. Putting together a reef aquarium is a long term investment so starting out with a tank that doesn't have a crack/chip in the glass is kind of a no brainer.

temet vince

Lol guess I should probably get some furniture now just to save my reputation :lol: Also here's a new pic.

_MG_0277.jpg

The water is much clearer now, but the tank is dirty! I'll clean it by tomorrow.

Yeh, the chip bothers me. However, it is on the back in the filter area, and there is another "wall" or side between the filter area and the main tank area where most of the water is, and the wall is siliconed. So that chip doesn't have much pressure on it, and if it did spring a leak, theoretically all that would leak out would be some water from the top of the tank. Maybe an 1" worth.

Ok, so I'm thinking about crushing up the base rock I bought and putting it in the filter area, and buying some cured Manado live rock from Premium Aquatics. Does that sound like a good idea?

http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/L-MANADO-CU.html

Also, I know it's a bit early to be thinking about livestock, but would a black brittle star be too big for this tank when fully grown? What about sea urchins? I like the long spined, but this guide recommends at least 50 gallons so I'd say it's a no go. http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry1663374

I could get a tuxedo urchin I suppose.

Eventually I would like an anenomie and at least 1 (max 2) clownfish.

temet vince

Speaking of brittle stars, guess who randomly appeared in my tank last night?!

_MG_0282.jpg

He's tiny. Like, really, really tiny.

Also, called and bought 10 lbs of Manado live rock from Premium Aquatics. They will ship it out Monday and it will be here Wednesday. They could have shipped today but there's a chance it wouldn't have made it in time and would have had to sit with the shipper over the weekend. They were great on the phone, and they're giving me smaller pieces for my nano. All cured.

temet vince

Ok, went to the local shop today and bought some stuff to clean the tank with. It's much better now. Also, the owner of the shop said he will be getting another nuvo 16g in hopefully sometime next week, and he offered to swap that one with mine. It's great to see that kind of support in my lfs.

He also mentioned that another guy tried to put some live rock in the back of his nuvo and it didn't go well. Ended up breaking the tank. Regardless, he mentioned the rock could also possibly get down inside the pump, so I probably will just scratch the idea of crushing that big rock and putting it back there.

temet vince

Not much happening atm while I'm waiting on my live rock. I went ahead and repositioned the sand so it was more level and uniform across the tank; I figured I'd better do that before too long less I cause and ammonia spike by doing it later.

So far, my hitchhiker's sightings are: 2 micro brittle starfish, 1 tiny white starfish (unknown), 1 little bug or something that hates light and moves extremely quickly, 1 tiny worm (looks like a miniature earthworm but very thin), and 1 tiny white snail.

I took out the white dead rock I was seeding. It was going to have to be removed by wednesday anyway to make room for the manado rock, and one of my hitchhikers had already migrated over to it. That poor brittle just would not come off of it, but eventually he relented. He played possum for over 4 hours. I thought I had killed him!

Here's an updated pic.

_MG_0289.jpg

The tank is actually cleaner than it looks; I'm not sure why it appears so dirty in the pics.

Probably won't upload any more pics till wednesday when the live rock comes in, unless I happen to get any of the hitchhikers.

College student as well from Missouri State University (GO BEARS!) I also just moved into a brand new apartment, so I feel like we are in a similar situation here (except I have furniture :P )

Ok, now that thats over with... :D I just ordered my black Innovative Marine 16g and dry rock yesterday and anxiously awaiting for it to come! I will be following your thread for inspiration. Looks good so far! I'm jealous of your cool bristle star- I have never had one as a hitchhiker and he is so small and colorful. I bought a bristle star once, but returned it because it started to just freak me out.

Deleted User 3
So far, my hitchhiker's sightings are: 2 micro brittle starfish, 1 tiny white starfish (unknown), 1 little bug or something that hates light and moves extremely quickly, 1 tiny worm (looks like a miniature earthworm but very thin), and 1 tiny white snail.

the unknown starfish could be a type of asterina. and the little bug, does it look like a baby shrimp. Could be amphipod, they move fast and don't like light. the tiny worm could be peanut worm coming out, i have the same thing as you, mini earth worm, but hes never fully out of the hole so i don't know what he is for sure :) Tank looks sweet.

temet vince

TSwift, you know deep down you really want to be a razorback. It's okay, you don't have to hide from your feelings anymore ;) And screw you and your overrated furniture :P

Really though, congrats on the tank and rock! I'm going to follow your thread, too; it will be really cool to compare tanks. And don't be too jealous about the stars; the small brittle star's color isn't that bright. I've found I have to post-process all tank photos to get them to look anything like I see in real life. I'm getting better at it, but it's still touchy. Why did yours freak you out? They are kinda creepy now that you mention it...

TuLIPgirl, they had several stars that look like mine in my lfs, so I'll ask them what kind it is. As for the bug, all I could see is movement lol. Way fast. And I hope peanut worms are a good thing.

GalaThoun, I use a canon rebel t2i. Do the pics look okay?

There seems to be a rash of Nuvo 16s recently, I wonder why. I'm so bummed I didn't get any fancy hitchhikers. Cycling an empty tank sucks, I'd rather watch paint dry.

TSwift, you know deep down you really want to be a razorback. It's okay, you don't have to hide from your feelings anymore ;) And screw you and your overrated furniture :P

Really though, congrats on the tank and rock! I'm going to follow your thread, too; it will be really cool to compare tanks. And don't be too jealous about the stars; the small brittle star's color isn't that bright. I've found I have to post-process all tank photos to get them to look anything like I see in real life. I'm getting better at it, but it's still touchy. Why did yours freak you out? They are kinda creepy now that you mention it...

You may be jealous of my awesome furniture, but I am SUPER jealous of that canon rebel t2i!! Your pics look very nice.

And my black bristle star looked bigger than usual in my 12 gallon and it was next to my bed when I had my dorm. I could see it slithering up the glass when I was falling asleep- super creepy! Gave it back to the LFS not 3 days later, haha. Your little green star looks cute, though :)

Ha, I'll have to keep track of all the other college kids setting up 16g Nuvo tanks. Not to say that it's a competition between us...

But the tank looks good. Looking forward to seeing what you do with that rock you've got coming.

pics look awesome, the white balance really balance it's self out lol. really hard to capture leds for me. its just too damn blue. no editing cause i'm just too lazy.

Just got my IM 16 about 2 months ago. I downsized from a 110 reef. So glad I did. Yours looks great! Just remember to be patient. It's my biggest problem! :blink:

These innovative marine products are really taking off. A lot of fish stores are using their products on their tanks. I can see what Stevie T made a media basket for them already.

Awesome tank. It should entertain you in between studying!

temet vince

Wow, it looks like there are a lot of nuvo 16s around. Here are the threads for everyone that posted they had one (more for my benefit for easy finding to follow along):

allan's http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=306614

TSwift's http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=307942

Dr. Acula's http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=307740&hl=

rnmike, I couldn't find a build thread for your nano. Have you thought about putting up some pics or anything? It would be awesome to see it!

Hang in there allan! It's worth it!

TSwift and GalaThoun, thanks for the compliments on the pics. It's reassuring to know they turned out okay... I usually just edit them and hope for the best as I personally have weird preferences as to what looks good photo wise.

TSwift, I can see how that brittle star next to your bed would be creepy lol. But it's still sad you gave the guy back... totally rejected! Are you a photographer?

It's great to have a fellow hog fan on board uaiu. There are at least two cool people here now ;)

Dr. Acula, did you know "akula" in russian means shark? I was wondering if your name was a play on words or something. And yes, let the competition begin, it's on! (Sigh, okay, I resign. I'll just be happy if I don't kill anything lol)

rnmike, that patience stuff is hard! Thankfully, my bank account, or lack thereof, will help me go slowly.

Mitch619, Studying? What's that? :P So what are these Stevie T media baskets you speak of?

Angel<3Nanos, Go for it! Except if you get another one you'll have to change your name. :D

Dr. Acula, did you know "akula" in russian means shark? I was wondering if your name was a play on words or something. And yes, let the competition begin, it's on! (Sigh, okay, I resign. I'll just be happy if I don't kill anything lol)

Ha, it's a play on words, but nothing that multi-cultural. It's a reference to a Mitch Hedberg joke, where he mentions that he went to go see a doctor, but all he did was suck blood from his throat. Then he warns the audience not to go see "Dr. Acula".

Mitch Hedberg was my favorite comedian, and still is despite being dead, so this has been my screen name a number of places. Scrubs also used the joke a couple times, but Mitch said it before them.

And just for the record, not killing anything is pretty much my goal at the moment for my foray into salty boxes of water. Or, at the very least, to not kill anything terribly expensive.

Wow, it looks like there are a lot of nuvo 16s around. Here are the threads for everyone that posted they had one (more for my benefit for easy finding to follow along):

allan's http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=306614

TSwift's http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=307942

Dr. Acula's http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=307740&hl=

TSwift and GalaThoun, thanks for the compliments on the pics. It's reassuring to know they turned out okay... I usually just edit them and hope for the best as I personally have weird preferences as to what looks good photo wise.

TSwift, I can see how that brittle star next to your bed would be creepy lol. But it's still sad you gave the guy back... totally rejected! Are you a photographer?

Thanks for those links! I have been following everyone's Nuvo 16s, I love how they have taken off!

Haha yeah.. poor bristle star :( And no, I am not a photographer. My mom has a Digital SLR (Cannon T3i), but I haven't gotten to play around with her camera in almost a year. My camera is an iPhone 4s, so I'm not sure where you got that idea, haha. Being a Computer Science major and web developer, though, I am tech savvy and I wish I had an SLR.

temet vince

Dr. Acula, good luck to all of us on not killing things. I know I'm going to need it.

TSwift, us computer majors have to stick together!

Ok, so the rock came in! Ups did a great job of destroying and breaking half of it. What can brown do for you? But I digress.

I'm a bit worried about there being way too much sand in my tank, and also about the whole rock structure collapsing when I add a CC and they get to digging in the sand. But it just seems like an insurmountable hurdle to glue the pieces together; I barely got them set up the first time. They are very sturdy, although I want to pick up a tuxedo urchin at some point, so maybe I really should glue them.

I didn't sleep at all last night, and so I'm exhausted. Here's a few pics, although I'll probably upload better ones later.

:D

_MG_0596.jpg

_MG_0599.jpg

_MG_0604.jpg

Archived